SaabCentral Forums banner

Saab 9-3 AMP1 fried

25340 69
Hello,

Does anyone know of a way to bypass the AMP1 yourself without having to ship it out and pay money? I know the SaabRadio guy will charge $59 to install the bypass for you.

I am wondering if this is something I can do myself by soldering a resistor or a few wires or something. Has anyone ever tried to fix their AMP1 themselves?
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am positive its the AMP1 that is faulty as water was spilled on it. Ive been without sound in my car for 6 months now. I know the bypass will only make half your speakers work but that's fine by me. I just want sound back for as cheap as possible.

Is the optical loop something I can get at radio shack or best buy?

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info. I actually just took the amp apart, looks relativily simple on the inside. I noticed one of the capacitors oozed goop everywhere. I cleaned that up and ordered a new capacitor for $2. Ill see if replacing that fixes the problem. if not I'll buy the optical cable and do the bypass fix.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya, I have tried tons of junkyards but none of them had one. Finaly found one the other day but they wanted $475 for it. I could just get mine refurbished from saabradio.com for $400. But both are way more money than I want to spend.

It's actually easy to get out. only held in by 2 bolts. Crossing my fingers that replacing this capacitor will get it fully working, :eek:

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not yet.. been riding with no radio since last summer... Cheapest I have found is $400 to have it refurbished. The model I need never seems to be on ebay and all the junk yards I've called and emailed either dont have it or want $500+ for it. I dont have that kinda money just for a radio... so many things on my saab are broken and in need of repair, :(

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sadly when I bought my 03 last year the seller had just replaced the gas gauge for the same reason. it lasted maybe 6 months before almost every electronic component fried or broke. I've spent more in repairs already than I did on the car itself and I still have ~4 major repairs left to fix.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did replace it but no luck in the sound department. Still doesn't work and drains my battery if I leave it plugged in. I guess I'll try ti save up the $400 and buy the refurbished amp1 from the saabradio guy.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
you gain the use of all the speakers again. The guy from saabradio said he also coats the parts in a silicone a few times which is supposed to help protect it from frying out again due to moisture.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.