Ignition Switch (ISM) Cleaning 12801010 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop - ALL Engines

9-3 Sedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop - ALL Engines 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X, 2003 - 2012 Technical & Repair

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 30th September 2011
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2005                                                
My Saabs: 06 93 TiD Combi, #2 TiD Combi Running
Default Ignition Switch (ISM) Cleaning 12801010

Many of these ISMs that are throwing codes can most likely be saved.

First, disconnect battery negative, then remove the module, which CAN be done in minutes by removing the left side (and right if its the first time) console cover (one T25 each side, under the screwcover. Then release the the ISM by pushing the stainless tabs in. Push the switch into the plastic duct slightly so the rubbery stuff isnt damaged. Release the connectors.

Then, get a hold of two red tubes that come with most spray lubes and cleaners. With a small screwdriver, gently pry the cover to release the tabs and slide a spray tube down each long side to keep them released. Then release the short sides.

Carefully clean the contact areas with a Q-tip and cleaner, buff and slightly bend the 3 sets of contact points, clean any areas with obvious coffee, pop, armorall etc goo, then snap it back together. It really would be hard to mess it up. Hopefully, any codes the ISM was generating will be gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15th October 2011

Join Date: Feb 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 SS

Just got done taking out the ISM cleaning & putting everything back together. And the best part is the car starts . Won't know for a while if this will eliminate the steering column malfunction errors. It's a lot easier to do than it sounds. I followed these instructions;

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=204339

and took apart much more than necessary IMHO. So here's a few pictures for anyone else who undertakes this job. Hopefully it'll make things easier for you

Here's the console with the front sides removed

Drivers side

Passenger side

Separate this electrical connection & move both halves out of the way

Here is the switch installed, there are two stainless tabs on each side to release,

Remove the harness from the switch & remove. It takes a little bit of work to separate the switch but the white plastic is pretty flexible. I ended up using a couple of small screwdrivers & a thin cake spreader that I use for body work to separate the halves. Here's what the inside looks like:

Clean the three sets of contacts & I gently bent them upwards to make sure they made good contact. Found no evidence of anything having been spilled inside the switch.

Now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed

Jim

Last edited by jcliff; 16th October 2011 at 12:44 PM. Reason: wrong picture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 24th October 2011

A week later & still no error message Hopefully it will stay that way

Jim

Old 24th October 2011
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Sep 2009                                                
My Saabs: '08 9-3 Aero XWD SC, '92 900 T16 Convt

Amazing! For a part that costs, what?, $1,000?

Moderators: This needs to be in the DIY sticky!
Old 24th October 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyDave View Post
Amazing! For a part that costs, what?, $1,000?

Moderators: This needs to be in the DIY sticky!
The switch is only $100 or so but currently on back order world wide

Jim
Old 10th November 2011
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Oct 2010                                                
My Saabs: 07 Saab 9 2.0T - Sold 03/04/2013
Garage

Would an electronic duster spray be bad for the ISM??? My ism is driving me crazy. I'm getting multiple errors. Key not accepted and Steering Wheel Lock malfunction. Does that mean both are going bad. Dealer told me coffee was spilled in ISM by first owner and they cleaned it but the problems only happen every so often. If it's bad, its bad. Dont get how problems go, then reappear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 Saab 9 2.0T SS 3/04/13
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10th November 2011
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2005                                                
My Saabs: 06 93 TiD Combi, #2 TiD Combi Running

The only way to be sure is to open it up and clean the gold contacts as in the pictures above. A pencil eraser on the gold strips and a light touch of an emery board on the contacts should suffice.
Old 10th November 2011
Saab Crazy

Garage
Unhappy

I removed my ism and the whole center console. I took the console in the house to wash it because it had coffee and food stuck in places i couldnt reach or clean while connected to car. I drived it then proceeded to clean all the gunk and stuff off the ism. I took it apart and rinsed the top half in hot water and i cleaned the bottom half with qtips with alcohol. I also sprayed it ultra duster to make use it was dry. I put it in car connected battery and got key not accepted. I took it apart again re cleaned it put back in car. This time no message and lights dont come on when key is removed. The button and spring in ism work but car is not reading ism. Also alarm led doesnt disable alarm upon insertion of key nor does it blink when key is inserted. What did i do to my car and will i be able to fix it without a dealer visit?

Old 10th November 2011
Saab Crazy

Garage

Ok i got it to say key not accepted again but why?

Old 18th May 2012

Join Date: May 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3aero

Can someone tell me how to remove the small electrical harness from he back of the ISM? Photos don't show it and I can't seem to get the harness to release. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 20th May 2012

It's been a while, but release those red tabs and the connector will push back and come out rather easily. Don't remember if they flip up or pull out.

Hope that helps. Also, haven't had an error since doing this job last fall

Jim
Old 30th May 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Apr 2012                                                
My Saabs: Ltd. Edition 2008 Lynx Cabrio.

Hey Jim,
Where are you in NY? Maybe you can help me do mine. I'll get the beers.
Pat
Old 23rd September 2012

Join Date: Sep 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2005 Saab 9-3 Linear

Just pull out the locking piece of metal from the end where the wires are all the way to the other side and that connector will come out easy from the back of ISM. I just learned it today before i see your thread and still fresh in my mind, goodluck!
Old 12th November 2012

Join Date: Nov 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3 Arc, 2003 9-5 Linear
Unhappy Key Not Accepted -Contact SAAB Dealer

Was increasingly getting the Steering Lock Malfuntion error on my 2003 9-3 Arc. It drove fine but I couldn't see or access other SID info even after clearing the error. It was essentially still there. I tried the ISM cleaning procedure and all seemed to go well. Found a good crud buildup on one of the contacts. Cleaned them all up with eraser and some rubbing alcohol/q-tip. After re-installation, the key presses down ok but wont turn in its socket. After a few seconds, I get the Key Not Accepted error on the SID. Tried disconnecting battery to reset but no change. Tried a post about re-synching key to no avail either. Same effect from both keys and key fobs still work to lock/unlock doors etc. I'm thinking the next step is to replace the ISM and after that, the CIM. Any help that can be offered would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

btw one helpful tip to add for dissassembly of the ISM is use of the little rectangular holes on the black base. Insert a small screwdriver through the holes to pry up the white cover at each tab location. Do this job in a warm location to improve flexability of the cover.

Also, I couldn't get mine out past the duct but removing the 2 console side screws let me lift the console high enough to get past the duct.

Just got my genuine SAAB ignition switch ($124 from thesaabsite) installed and it fixed all my problems. The cleaning didn't work for me and actually made the car totally non-functional. I couldn't even close windows or sunroof. Just keep that iin mind if you need your car.

Last edited by Budman21; 24th November 2012 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Problem Resolved....New Ignition Switch!
Old 12th November 2012
Saabista

Join Date: Nov 2002                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 SC, 2013 Volvo C70

Just had mine replaced by the dealer. He said these parts are available now.
$400. If I had known it was this easy, I would have replaced it myself...
Old 12th November 2012
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: May 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 Arc Vert, 2008 9-3 SS 2.0T

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleveSaab View Post
Just had mine replaced by the dealer. He said these parts are available now.
$400. If I had known it was this easy, I would have replaced it myself...
What year cars do you have? Your info does not show a 2003 or later which is what this post is about.
Old 12th November 2012
SaabNut!

Join Date: Apr 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero

Just ordered mine today, $143 overnighted from eeuroparts. Its $143 also at the dealer but I would have to wait a week. I need my car ASAP.

Replacing it is very easy. You don't even have to take a lot of stuff out to get to it.
Old 12th November 2012

Join Date: Nov 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3 Arc, 2003 9-5 Linear
Default ISM availability

I couldn't find any on the Eeuro site. Funny, because I thought I'd seen it there a few days ago.
Old 3rd December 2012

Join Date: Dec 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3

Like an earlier poster, my ISM died when removing it. Got the dreadful "Key not accepted" message. I could use it to lock the car though.

I ordered a new one on eBay. Do I have to recode my keys with the new one?

Has anyone been able to fix their ISM when getting the "Key not accepted" message?
Old 3rd December 2012
Super Moderator

Join Date: Mar 2005                                                
My Saabs: 04 9-3SS Hirsched Aero(Black)The Lady

No,the keys are coded to the CIM,the ISM is plug & play..

as with all electrical work,remove the neg term from the battery before hand..

Is still running factory oe coils with Hirsch tune..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement