SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
I use Zymol all of the time. Seeing it is headquartered here in CT, I have visited the company.
There are many benefits of Zymol, the one I like the best is there is no wax residue. No ugly white wax in the hard to reach places.

Zymol wax is mixed specifically for the manufacturer and color of car you have.

Great stuff.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Souvern is nice but its not that durable, but youll like it.

As for zymol specific saab what could they possibly do to make a wax work better for a specific car?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Absolutely nothing. The product works which is great, but I have used other products that apply much easier and last longer. I like Natty's and Poorboys products. You can get Natty's for 18 bucks compared to the $50 it cost for that Zymol "Saab" wax. I don't want to get into a debate about which one is better and why, but to say there is a wax formulated for a particular make of car is ridiculous. Of all companies they chose Saab, yeah right.

·
Registered
615 Posts
It could be that its formulated for an automotive paint manufacturer. Therefore, if you know the manufacturer of the clearcoat, the wax could be customized to complement it.

Most car companies choose the colors, but I doubt that they actually manufacture the paint themselves. And, I bet most car companies in a geographical region use the same supplier of clearcoat.

So you put different stickers on the same product. Lust like GM did with the 9-7x and the Trailblazer.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
teck, what do you mean not durable? like it doesnt last long? anything is better than this meguires crap! i havent opened my kit yet, so i still have the option to take it back, but pinnacle is good? the one that i got?

·
Registered
562 Posts
cjhutch said:
Absolutely nothing. The product works which is great, but I have used other products that apply much easier and last longer. ... I don't want to get into a debate about which one is better and why, but to say there is a wax formulated for a particular make of car is ridiculous. Of all companies they chose Saab, yeah right.

Couldn't agree more.
"Made just for Saab": That's a characteristic example of a marketing overstatement.

A coat of wax is simply a clear protectant for painted surfaces, usually enriched with solvents and lubricants. As long as the surface is clean, the wax will enhance the gloss of the car.
Waxes do the same job more or less. No chaotic differences in the end result.
However, waxes that are about 25% to 35% #1 Carnauba do have a slight edge compared to other waxes on the market. Personally, I use a P21S wax which gives a great shine and leaves no chalk residue or staining.
The only "problem" is that it tends to strip when you only wash the car in a car wash. And as a general rule, depth of shine and longevity are opposite ends of the same scale; I don't use car washes, so I don't mind about that.
But I'm sure other members here have been using other brands with which they are just as satisfied.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
It's known as a concours wax in my experience. For trailer queens and so forth it looks great but just won't have the longevity of something like a nattys or meguires #16. A great choice for summer weather not so great for winter climates.
Therefore, if you know the manufacturer of the clearcoat, the wax could be customized to complement it.
uh no.....

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I used to use the Souverain wax. It goes on like butter and looks real nice, but as mentioned it doesn't last long. Currently I'm using Griot's Garage "Paint Sealant" wax. I've used their "Best in Show" was before and it is good too, but I like the "Sealant" better, especially as I typically wax only twice a year. I've been using it for a year now and I like its durability.

I too am skeptical at claims for manufacturer-specific waxes.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sbl ... i was thinking the samn damn thing today when i did the wax!!!! and .. WOW ... i took a picture of of the car after ... and my buddy was sitting there washing his 9-5 and he did his wheels and he came into the garage to get a drink and was like what the ... this is crazy so .. i love it then right after that it poured down rain! and the water came right off didnt even have to dry it! I LOVE THIS WAX!

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Zymol is pricey but the rsults are amazing. I love it! I seal with a top coat of regular wax because that fresh shine with Zymol lasts only a few washes, of ocurse the wax protection lasts 4-6months.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
SAABRoma said:
So what you're saying is that all clearcoats are the same ?
Or that wax will bond the same way to any smooth, nonporous surface ?
I'm not exactly sure what I'm trying to say, but I'm pretty sure that "wax companies" are not tailoring specific "wax mixes" to different clear coats. I just don't believe there is a correlation where they could change something that would even make a difference.

My opinion is if you like zymol by all means use it, that is the most important thing about different detaling supplies. But if the maker is selling one can for $20 that works on all cars and one can for $40 that is for Saabs only I'd buy the $20 one.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I just washed and waxed our 07 9.3, I used Zymol wax specifically blended for the Saab paint and finish. It was easy on and off, and the car looks great! This is the second time I waxed the Saab with Zymol.

It is true, the wax doesn't last long and you would perhaps to apply it three times per year instead of twice with other product.

Zymol has a formula for different auto manufacturers, and I have been using the product for just over ten years.
I wish I could tell you how Zymol's waxes differ from one of their formulas to the next, but I do not know.
I do know the more carnuba you get the more expensive the wax is.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My '93 Scarabe Green Metallic looks great (for a 15 year old car) with whatever I wax it but it immediatly becomes big green dust magnet. It's dry up here in the high desert of New Mexico but you can see a layer of brown dust (adobe) build up in an hours time.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Deep Throb said:
My '93 Scarabe Green Metallic looks great (for a 15 year old car) with whatever I wax it but it immediatly becomes big green dust magnet. It's dry up here in the high desert of New Mexico but you can see a layer of brown dust (adobe) build up in an hours time.Frank
http://www7.taosnet.com/f10/saabplate/
You're right, your fifteen Y/O car does look great.
If I were you, I wouldn't change a thing. I'd live with the dust.

·
Registered
49 Posts
cjhutch said:
Absolutely nothing. The product works which is great, but I have used other products that apply much easier and last longer. I like Natty's and Poorboys products. You can get Natty's for 18 bucks compared to the $50 it cost for that Zymol "Saab" wax. I don't want to get into a debate about which one is better and why, but to say there is a wax formulated for a particular make of car is ridiculous. Of all companies they chose Saab, yeah right.
This is why I like this forum here at autopia... wait a sec. :)

I'll throw my favorite into the ring, Zaino. I've been a fan since 97-98 and have tried a few others, but always come back to Zaino. Natty's Blue is great on darker colors though, and I'm a HUGE fan of Poorboy's Trim Restorer. That said, I'm a big believer in Sal Zaino's products.

Chris
- PC 7424

1 - 20 of 20 Posts