SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
31,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a great running thread of people's reviews of their tires on here. Unfortunately it was recently lost due to a technical glitch with the backup server. But we can start a new one (there's also an adjacent thread for reviews just on summer and all-season tires).

I don't recall exactly all the details we used to cover in the tire specs, but it might have been something like this (feel free to add to the template):

(copy/paste bolded section below into your own review post):
========
BRAND:
Model:
Type (winter only):
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter):
Your car:
Price paid:
Vendor:
Miles/KMs driven so far:
Impression so far (describe):
Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent):
Other comments:
========

Let's see how the thread goes :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Winter Tyres

BRAND:NEXAN
Model:WINTER GAURD
Type (winter only):WINTER
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter):195/65-15
Your car:9-5 WAGON TID
Price paid:£300 INC ALU 42 WHEELS
Vendor:CAMBRIDGE SAAB
Miles/KMs driven so far:APPROX 2500 MILES
Impression so far (describe):VERY GOOD
Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent):4
Other comments:MORE ROLL THAN MY 225/45-17 BUT ONLY TO BE EXPECTED.
VERY GOOD GRIP IN THE WET AND EXCELLENT IN THE COLD AND SNOW, HAD A COUPLE OF 6INCH SNOW FALLS LAST YEAR AND IT WAS HARD TO SPIN THE WHEELS.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
BRAND: Dunlop
Model:Wintersport M3 (3D)
Type (winter only): performance winter
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 215/55/16
Your car: 9-3
Price paid: 90 per corner
Vendor: tirerack
Miles/KMs driven so far: 15K
Impression so far (describe): Great balance for snow and dry traction, a little bit noisy, but works really well. Dry grip is about as good as a performance all season tire, subjectively. I have gone in several inches of snow with my car and have been able to stop on a hill with an ice/snow mix. Have had hit a patch of black ice and gone sideways a bit but completely recovered once i hit pavement again. Gone through 3 winters so far.
Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent): 4
Other comments:

·
Registered
486 Posts

BRAND: Continental
Model: ExtremeWinterContact
Type (winter only): Studless Ice & Snow
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 215/55/16 on 6.5” rim, then another set at 215/50/17 on 7” rim.
Your car: 2005 Saab 9-3 Aero Sedan w/ stock Aero springs and Bilstein dampers.
Price paid: $970 CAD including taxes, installation, and a set of 16x6.5” steel rims. $751 CAD including taxes and installation on my 17’s.
Vendor: tires23.com and simplytire
Miles/KMs driven: 21,966km (two winters, then sold to move to 17’s). 4,800km so far on 17’s.

Impression on the road: In the dry, good road manners like an all-season tire. They are quiet and comfortable and not overly squishy for a winter tire. Light steering feel with a bit of a dead spot. However being a winter tire, there is a lot of rolling resistance. My MPG drops significantly especially with all the highway driving I do and the tires don’t like going fast so I get overtaken a lot.
However that is the other way around when the weather gets nasty. This tire gives me all the confidence and peace of mind in slick conditions that it is me who’s passing everyone. It performs the best in deep snow where it feels almost invincible. However icy conditions still require some discipline. My car’s ESP makes good use of the tire’s grip to rotate the car around corners if I start understeering.
Treadlife is pretty good, should easily last four winters if driven with respect.

Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent): 4.5
Other comments: Tire pressure = 36-37PSI when acclimated to winter conditions.

·
Registered
344 Posts
BRAND:Michelin

Model:X-Ice Xi3

Type (winter only): Winter

Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 215/55R16

Your car: 2003 9-3SS Linear

Price paid:$644 installed

Vendor: Local shop

Miles/KMs driven so far: 2500 m

Impression so far (describe): Amazing! Grip in ice, snow (deep and shallow), slush, and even wet are outstanding. The tires are also nice and quiet. I drive a lot of twisty back roads over 2500 ft in elevation changes and have never felt more confident. This is the first time I have opted for winter and summer tires instead of all seasons and I don't think I will ever go back... at least not while I live in snow prone areas. My wife calls them "magic tires."

Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent):5

Other comments: You get what you pay for. They are wicked expensive but worth every penny.

·
Registered
88 Posts
michelin alpin pa4

Just finished a set of vredestein winter trac extreme's - overall pretty good but way to prone to punctures. I Just installed a fresh set of michelin alpin pa4...so far I'm pretty impressed. They run smooth as silk on dry cold roads but haven't tried yet on snow.

BRAND: michelin
Model: alpin pa4
Type (winter only):
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 245/45/18
Your car: 2010 NG 9-5 Aero 2.8T XWD
Price paid: $1,000 for everything (tires, TPMS kits, balance, install, disposal fee, lifetime replacement warranty)
Vendor: Tires Plus
Miles/KMs driven so far: 200 miles
Impression so far (describe): Super on dry cold roads
Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent): 5
Other comments: haven't tried yet on snow...will report back and update.

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
haha
BRAND: Conti
Model:DWS
Type (winter only): Says S for Snow lol
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 245 45 17
Your car: 07 9-5 aero sportcombi
Price paid: 158.00 each installed
Vendor:JRP online
Miles/KMs driven so far: 30,000 km
Impression so far (describe): surprisingly decent forward traction and braking. does not like to turn. Cold flat spots and balance changes. (belt shift?)
Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent): 3
Other comments: I would only buy these if you could not afford to two sets of tires. After this winter I will ditch these ( they wont be worn out sadly) and go Nokian or maybe Blizzak.
========

·
Registered
3 Posts
========
BRAND: Firestone
Model: Winterforce
Type (winter only): Studdable Winter / Snow
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter):205/50/16

Your car: 1997 900SE 5-door

Price paid: Around $900 including 4 steel rims and mounting
Vendor: Tire Warehouse

Miles/KMs driven so far: Less than 3,000 miles(second winter with them)

Impression so far (describe): Very pleased, was like night and day coming from all-seasons(Goodyear Eagle GT). I take it easy in bad weather and have a short commute most of the time, but winter in Maine is never boring(this year especially). They've handled all conditions admirably; slush, ice, snow, rain, and mix have all been seen this winter with no troubles besides some spin when starting from a complete stop, though that is almost certainly do to my love of accelerating. Opted to not stud them, which worked out great cause the dry ride is quite nice for a winter tire.

Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent): 4.5

Other comments: I'll never go back to all-seasons(or Goodyear for that matter), these have made all the difference driving in bad conditions. If my bumper can clear it I don't worry about it. I can't be sure of the miles, but I ran them well into spring last season and they're still like new. And lastly, avoid Tire Warehouse if you can, at least the one local to me, had nothing but bad experiences there.

========

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I also have the Firestone Winterforce on my 2006 saab 9-5. I have been driving them since the beginning of the Chicago winter about 5k miles. Excellent tire in deep snow and crusty slush. They have been best with ESP off and allowed to fling and grip while spinning. They are not as good as the Blizzaks on icy pavement when starting from a stop or stopping on ice. The open / aggressive tread allows me to cross the snow hump between lanes on the highway with no problem, the Winterforce cut right through. The Blizzaks would slip when crossing between lanes, but recover quickly if the lane had open pavement. I found myself traveling in the little used / plowed left lane on my travels to work on northbound 294 from I80 to Ohare late at night with the Winterforce. If I traveled mostly in town on plowed and icy roads at intersections, I would prefer the Blizzaks.

·
Registered
636 Posts
BRAND:Michelin

Model:X-Ice Xi3

Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 215/55R16

Your car: 2003 9-3SS Linear

Price paid:$644 installed

Miles/KMs driven so far: 2500 m

Impression so far (describe): Amazing! Grip in ice, snow (deep and shallow), slush, and even wet are outstanding. The tires are also nice and quiet. I drive a lot of twisty back roads over 2500 ft in elevation changes and have never felt more confident. This is the first time I have opted for winter and summer tires instead of all seasons and I don't think I will ever go back... at least not while I live in snow prone areas. My wife calls them "magic tires."

Other comments: You get what you pay for. They are wicked expensive but worth every penny.
I'm using these on my '08 Aero (manual trans), 235/45/R18. I paid ~$900 for them installed.

I agree with this poster. I've been very impressed and they've earned their keep. These aren't the quietest tires I've ever driven on but they also aren't noisy in a problematic way. Their sound actually changes appreciably depending on your surface conditions (especially in the wet) and it's kind of helpful.

I'm around 2500 miles in and so far, these are fantastic in winter conditions. Like pretty much everything else, in deep slush, they're going to slip but unlike everything else, I can still get moving in them, instead of bogging down and getting stuck. They stay straight through the piles of slush and snow that build up in between the tracks and I have been able to move along under control at 45-55 mph in 4-5" deep powder. I have thankfully not had to do any real hard braking on snow or ice with them yet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
BRAND: Bridgestone
Model: Blizzak
Type (winter only):Winter
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter):195/55/16
Your car: 2006 9-5
Price paid:600 installed
Vendor:Costco
Miles/KMs driven so far: 5000 miles
Impression so far (describe):The tires work! I was skeptical at first because I had never bought snow tires before, but I figured NY was due for a horrible winter and picked some up. Handling in the snow is like a dream. I literally have no fear of sliding anywhere. I went up a steep hill that had SUV's stopped on the side of the road because they couldnt make it up. They must have been pretty pissed to see a saab doing 40-50mph up the hill no problem while still giving it some power upwards. Definitely a good investment!
Other comments: If your in the Northeast US, these are a must in my book

·
Registered
59 Posts
BRAND: Bridgestone
Model: Blizzaks WS80
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 215/55R16 97H
Your car: 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero
Price paid: CAN$220
Vendor: Maple Auto Repair
Miles/KMs driven so far: 20'000-30'000km
Impression so far (describe): Excellent on icy pavement and hard packed snow. Does not handle slush/crust walls when changing lanes but holds well after crossing. Good in the rain. Not too noisy.
Other comments:
Into my second winter with these. I drove like a granny the first winter and barely touched the tread. This winter I was more aggressive so the fronts have worn down considerably yet evenly; the fronts will doubtfully last for much of a third season if I don't swap to my summers soon. The back tires have very much tread life left.

Excellent tire. Price point is too high. Will consider Hankooks next time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Model: Winter Force studdable. (But do not have studs at this time.)
Size 215/55/16
Your car: 2004 Saab 9-5 Arc Wagon
Price paid: I bought them used off Craigslist from a local Saab driver. I think they have 2 seasons already on them and were very inexpensive.
Miles/KMs driven so far: 500 miles or so.
Impression so far (describe): They have excellent snow and slush grip, really impressive. On the other hand, they are loud and make the car sound like it needs wheel bearings!
Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent): 4. I can't complain for the price I paid. I'm sure a different winter tire would be quieter.

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
UPDATE TWO YEARS LATER OR SO
BRAND: NOKIAN
R2 Hakkapellitta
Type (winter only): SNOW
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 215/50/17
Your car: 07 9-5 aero sportcombi
Price paid: 1100.00 installed
Vendor: Nokian dealer in Niagara Falls NY
Miles/KMs driven so far: 35,000 km
Impression so far (describe): the best of all snow tires good at everything. The Conti DWS I took off were Done. The W and S had disappeared. Not a great buy. The Hakka never let you forget that quality is remembered long after price is forgotten.
Other comments: these are the snow tires to buy in my book.

·
Registered
124 Posts
BRAND:Continental
Model:Extremewinter Contact
Type (winter only):
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 215 55 r16
Your car: 2008 9-3 2.0 SC
Price paid:
Miles/KMs driven so far: 18-20,000 miles
Impression so far (describe): 3 winter seasons and although there is still depth above the wear bars, these are no longer winter tires. On Previous cars I have had Dunlop and General specific winter tires. Because the cars were different and all impressions are subjective take with a grain of salt. Quieter and better road manners than the General Arctic on dry roads. Equal winter conditions performance to the Generals and better than the Dunlop. General tires gave me 4 seasons of use, Dunlops were 3 seasons too. Dedicated winter tires are a must for me. Wish I managed more miles, but it is what it is. Just bought Nokian Hakkapaliitta R2 for the coming winter so will see how those go.
Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent):4
Other comments: Driving manners for a winter tire were a 5, but down 1 for shorter effective life.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
To add to all the above posters' Firestone Winterforce tire reviews, I've been running these tires (non-studded) in 205/55-16 on my 02 9-3 SE hatch for the last ~6 winters. I can echo what all the previous posters have said about their experience, both the good and the bad.

For me they were affordable and have been very durable with very good snow and slush traction. But at this point after some 6 winters, even though they are only probably ~1/3 - ~1/2 worn, the road noise on dry pavement is so bad at highway speeds that I've decided that I will retire this after this winter. If you don't drive long distance or do mainly city driving, the noise may be tolerable.

I will definitely be paying more attention to the noise ratings on my next set of snow tires.

Model: Winter Force studdable. (But do not have studs at this time.)
Size 215/55/16
Your car: 2004 Saab 9-5 Arc Wagon
Price paid: I bought them used off Craigslist from a local Saab driver. I think they have 2 seasons already on them and were very inexpensive.
Miles/KMs driven so far: 500 miles or so.
Impression so far (describe): They have excellent snow and slush grip, really impressive. On the other hand, they are loud and make the car sound like it needs wheel bearings!
Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent): 4. I can't complain for the price I paid. I'm sure a different winter tire would be quieter.

·
Registered
7,694 Posts
BRAND: Michelin
Model: XIce Xi-2
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 185/65-15
Your car: NG900
Price paid: irrelevant Canadian dollars
Vendor: actual corner garage
Miles/KMs driven so far: 40,000+ km (don't know exactly)
Impression so far (describe): Most troublefree tires I have ever owned
Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent): 4.8
Other comments:

I got these tires in the fall of 2011 and they have been mounted on my NG900 for winter duty every winter since. They were on their eighth winter when my NG900 suffered problems too big to fix in an old car. At this point they have about 6/32" tread. I have not tracked how many kilometres on them, but it could be anywhere between 40,000 and 60,000 I guess.

They are generalist tires, giving reasonable performance in wet, dry, slush, snow, and ice, from +15ºC to -28ºC (coldest I saw on the SID). They may not have ultimate ice or deep snow or whatever, but they do the job.

More importantly, they were mounted and balanced in 2011, and have never required another balance. They have worn little, and evenly at that. They're a bit noisy (winter tires) but nothing annoyingly loud. They don't lose much air; I just pull them out in the fall, give them a few pumps with a hand pump, install them, and drive worry-free.

So when I had to press my 9-5 into service a few weeks ago, I got a set of XIce Xi-3 and hope to drive those for the next six or seven winters. ;ol;

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hercules Avalanch X-Treme

These came on a car I bought recently, and have shown themselves to be quite good. Remarkably good considering how cheap they are.

They are perfectly competent in deep fluffy snow and on hard pack. There are better, but they are good. Far and away better than any all season tire will be.

They handle deep mud remarkably well. Better in fact than some of my A/T tires do.

The dry pavement performance handling is surprisingly good, especially for a snow tire.

This is not a tire I normally would even glance at. But it's doing quite well, and might cause me to buy another set or two both as a replacement, and perhaps for some other vehicles.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
20 Participants
Nocturne
SaabCentral Forums
SaabCentral forum the most comprehensive Saab resource on the internet. Join our discussions on the Saab 9-3, Saab 9-5, Saab 900, Saab 9000 and all other Saab models, choose your forum.
Full Forum Listing