Model: Ecsta 4X
Type (summer/all-season): Ultra High Performance All Season
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 235/45ZR17 97W XL
Wheel Size/Model: 7.5 X 17 Saab Aero 5 spoke
Your car: 2008 9-3 SS 2.0T
Price paid:$460 after $60 rebate
Vendor: City Tire (Long Island)
Miles/KMs driven so far: 10 miles
Impression so far (describe): I went with this tire for this application due to its higher load rating as this car will have a trailer hitch. I was originally planning on using the same Hankook's that I used on my vert (see above) but those are only rated at 94W in this size. I also installed brand new OEM Schrader TPMS sensors at the same time which added $235 to overall cost. This is my daughters car so I ned to keep it simple.
Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent): Will report back
Other comments: Will report back
========
Yes, please do report back :lol:

UPDATE: I have about 25k miles on these tires. They are down to about 4/32-5/32. Rotated every 5k. Seem to be wearing evenly. They have gotten louder, not intrusive, just more noticeable. I'll get 40k out of them, as expected. But I've never had them rebalanced and there's no shaking.
I'm at about 14,000 kms on mine. They're actually getting quieter, very even wear as the eyes can tell, but are overdue for a rotation. Haven't took out my tread depth gauge to measure wear, but I'm sure they're at at least 9/32 if not more.

Only gripe ...... sidewall has no "rim protector" so my rims have all got bad curb rash with these Kumho's.

·
Super Moderator
19,741 Posts

BRAND: Pirelli
Model: Cinturato P7 All Season Plus
Type (summer/all-season): Grand Touring All-Season
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 225/45/17 on 7” wide rim.
Your car: 2003 Saab 9-3 Linear Sedan w/ Eibach springs and Koni Yellow dampers (full soft all around).
Price paid: $600 including taxes and installation after $60 rebate
Vendor: Discount Tire
Miles/KMs driven: Just bought them

Impressions: Not any more quiet than my Conti DWS, but pitch is different. Absorbs impacts well, probably similar to the Conti. It's a touring tire and is just sorta soft, which is good as I'm not ripping up backroads anyways. I found the Conti to be superior, but I needed tires ASAP and no one had Conti DWS on a Saturday.

Edit: Also, I find these to be more aesthetically pleasing than the Conti. I loved those tires performance but they weren't exactly a good looking tire. These are IMO.

Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent): 3.5
Other comments: Tire pressure = 35PSI both front and back

·
Registered
395 Posts

BRAND:
Bridgestone
Model: Potenza RE760
Type (summer/all-season): Summer
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 225/45R17 94WXL
Your car: 2002 9-5 Aero 5spd
Price paid: $115 per
Vendor: ATD (bought through work)
Miles/KMs driven so far: 750 miles
Impression so far (describe): So far one of the best tires I've ever had. They're my first set of pure summer tires and I love them. I've had the Turanza Serenity Plus's on my stage 2 9-3, and we have a set of Potenza RE970AS on our 06 SC, and it's hard to pick a favorite. These do have a little bit of slip on damp pavement on first acceleration, but after that they stick like glue. I don't see them lasting more than 30K, but I barely put 8-9k a year on my car so I'm not too concerned about it. They did have an awfully loud break in period for highway noise, where they made a loud fluttering sound for 200-300 miles. After that though they've been nothing but silent.

It doesn't snow much around here, but if these were to even touch snow...:nono;

Oh yeah, and they're stiffer than hell, which I like. Great confidence in the corners, though any bump absorption must be done by the suspension as these aren't gonna do you much good!
Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent): 4

·
Registered
2 Posts

BRAND: Yokohama
Model: C Drive 2
Type (summer/all-season): Premium touring all season (no winter tyres here)
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 225/45 R17 94W XL
Wheel Size/Model: 7 X 17 Saab Aero 5 spoke
Your car: 2004 9-5 Aero
Price paid:$AUD670 (buy 3 get 1 free)
Vendor: Bob Jane T Mart
Miles/KMs driven so far: 50 km
Impression so far (describe): As with any new tyres, I have noticed an immediate improvement over the old tyres. However, I spent some time researching the various options available, keeping to a 94 load rating, and these C Drive 2s seemed a pretty good deal. In Australia the 225 tyre width limits your options somewhat as does the 94 load rating requirement. I also considered the Michelin Primacy 3 ST but with the deal on Yokohamas I couldn't resist. Bridgestone was out of contention because they only had a couple of high performance tyres in the right size. Goodyear had some decent tyres but I was really after something quiet.

I've previously only had entry level performance tyres so this is a big step up in quality. They are very quiet and handle well and seem to be delivering slightly better fuel economy already. I wish I had put something like this on before. If you're after a good quality touring tyre these would be worth a look.

Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent): 5
Other comments: Will report back

·
Registered
486 Posts

BRAND: Bridgestone
Model: Potenza RE760
Type (summer/all-season): Ultra-high Performance Summer
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 235/40/18 on 8” wide rim.
Your car: 2005 Saab 9-3 Aero Sedan w/ Eibach pro-kit springs and Koni Yellow dampers.
Price paid: $833 CAD including taxes and installation.
Vendor: simplytire.com
Miles/KMs driven: 16,000km including 2 autocross events.

Impressions on the track: I wasn’t expecting much from only an Ultra-high performance summer tire that’s under $800 a set, but these tires really surprised me at autocross. The large tread blocks really provide good enough dry traction to be easy to drive. Stiff sidewalls provide adequate turn-in response for its class however there’s still a bit of understeer. Ultimate traction and performance is nowhere near the Michelin Pilot Super Sports but it is enough to have fun and push the limits of the car.

Impressions on the road: Despite the thin 40 series sidewall, ride comfort wasn’t that bad. The sidewalls had a nice balance of stiffness and compliance to bumps. Definitely stiffer than Continental DW and Hankook V12, but softer than Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Tread noise is appallingly bad. There was a loud roar when I bought the tires which is still present 16,000km later. Okay treadlife so far. Not a confident tire in the wet and mildly cold weather as it breaks traction easily under power. I would not buy again.

Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent): 3.0

Other comments: Track tire pressure = 44PSI front and 44PSI back (hot). Road tire pressure = 35PSI front, 32PSI rear (cold).

·
Registered
1,904 Posts

BRAND: Kumho
Model: Ecsta AST
Type (summer/all-season):
All season
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter):
225/45/17
Your car:
1999 9-3 Convertible
Price paid:
about $400 for the set installed with "certificates"
Vendor:
America's Tire
Miles/KMs driven so far:
Impression so far (describe):
Smooth ride, quiet, decent handling. These aren't high performance tires, but they were still far better than the Nexens I had before. Poor wear. At 20k, they're nearly at the wear bars.
Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent):
Counting price, 4. Without price, 3.
Other comments:

I don't track or anything, but they're predictable and take freeway interchanges at speed with no problem (now that I've upgraded the suspension, that is.) And these handle the wet nicely for a wide tire. They do tend to hydroplane over 45mph on more than an inch of water, which my old Nexens didn't do. But taking off from a stop was better than the Nexens. Smooth and comfortable ride due to soft sidewalls. I rolled on the sidewalls once, and it was disconcerting (ok, I had to change my shorts). Never had that happen before.

The tread wear is my biggest gripe. They don't come with any kind of treadwear warranty, so you get what you get. At $70 each, they're still a very good value.

They really came into their own when I replaced the shocks and springs. They track straight with no fuss. If I was cash strapped, I'd happily replace them with the same tires.

·
Registered
27 Posts

========
Model: AVID ENVigor
Type (summer/all-season): High Performance All Season
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 215/55R/16
Your car: 2010
Price paid: $450 ($360 after rebate from Tire Rack, $90 install)
Vendor: Tire Rack
Miles/KMs driven so far: 500 miles on the 2010 + approx. 5000 on my 2000 9-3

Impression so far (describe): I got these for my 2000 9-3 a while ago and liked them so much I just put them on the 2010. I like good handling and quiet tires, and I’m in a warm climate so snow/ice performance isn’t a factor (these tires get dinged and reviews in those area). They’re super quiet compared to the Yoko AS/430s and P6’s that were on each car before. The dry and wet handling is superb when I decide to push it a bit. Definitely feel confident and enjoy the curves. Can’t speak to longevity…I’m always looking for something new at the 4-5 year mark and I expect that’ll be true with these. For this price + performance point I think they’re a great deal.

Other comments:
========

·
Registered
6 Posts

Nexen Rodian HP 255/55/18
High Performance Directional SUV
255/55 R18 XL 109V Black Sidewall 460 A A

2006 Saab 9-7x 5.3
Put these on about 20K miles. Drove in snow, rain and dry. Very good tire and plan on buying again. They are a very stiff sidewall. Handled all conditions well. Snow, I would recommend the AWD.
All the reviews, stated a bit stiff ride. Only ones that did not like them were those that were not aggressive drivers.
I bought mine from TireBuyer.com Paid approx $129 per tire.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
========
Model: AVID ENVigor
Type (summer/all-season): High Performance All Season
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 215/55R/16
Your car: 2010
Price paid: $450 ($360 after rebate from Tire Rack, $90 install)
Vendor: Tire Rack
Miles/KMs driven so far: 500 miles on the 2010 + approx. 5000 on my 2000 9-3

Impression so far (describe): I got these for my 2000 9-3 a while ago and liked them so much I just put them on the 2010. I like good handling and quiet tires, and I’m in a warm climate so snow/ice performance isn’t a factor (these tires get dinged and reviews in those area). They’re super quiet compared to the Yoko AS/430s and P6’s that were on each car before. The dry and wet handling is superb when I decide to push it a bit. Definitely feel confident and enjoy the curves. Can’t speak to longevity…I’m always looking for something new at the 4-5 year mark and I expect that’ll be true with these. For this price + performance point I think they’re a great deal.

Other comments:
========
They're driveable in snow and ice, though I would not use them through winter.

More seriously, I have had to run these tires backwards for significant stretches to quiet down the tread noise. It got worse and worse; backwards-running fixed that. Somewhat less wet traction when running backwards, but nothing startling.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
BRAND: Continental
Model: ContiProContact
Type (summer/all-season): Grand Touring All-Season
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 215/55-16
Your car: 2004 9-3 Linear
Price paid: NA
Vendor: NA
Miles/KMs driven so far: Unknown, 24,000 mi personally
Impression so far (describe): I've noticed my 9-3 wasn't quite as good in the snow as my '96 900 was. I believe this is because of the tires. My 900 hand new General Altimax HP's up front and used but good Pontenza's? in the rear. That car only got stuck once in the snow and that was because I accidentally parked off the edge of the driveway. My 9-3 seems to struggle in deep snow starting out, once it gets going it seems ok but could be better. They aren't too noisy on the road and they seem to wear good though. No complaints on dry or wet roads.
Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent): 3.8
Other comments: Comparing these to the General Altimax HP's on Tire Rack, the Altimax HP's are definitely better and I will probably buy them again for this car when the time comes.

·
Registered
867 Posts

BRAND: Goodyear
Model: Eagle F1 Asymmetric All-Season
Type (summer/all-season): Ultra High Performance All-Season
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 234/45zr17
Your car: 2006 Saab 9-5
Price paid: 162/each plus install, alignment (my price ended up at $955 out the door, including tax, install, road hazard $100, and alignment $55)
Vendor: Goodyear Auto Service
Miles/KMs driven so far: 150
Impression so far (describe): Comparing these to my worn out Continental DWS tires is difficult since I didn't get the DWS' brand new. Plus I've only had them for a very short time. However, the grip is amazing, both in dry and wet. I'm very impressed and the cornering is phenomenal. There is a slight bit of road noise but I think it's due to them being brand new and a slight wear will help there but it isn't unpleasant and could just be because I'm thinking about a new purchase too hard. With a 45k tread warranty these are an excellent buy and they are almost like driving on summer tires. This was on my short list of UHP all-seasons and in the end it won out based on the strong reviews on Tire Rack and on Discount Tire's sites combined with the tread warranty.
Other comments:
other options in this UHP-AS range include the RE970-AS Pole Positions, the DWS, the AS/3, and a few others. These are basically the highest end all-seasons available in this upper price range.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I just bought the Eagle Sport tyre, any idea what the difference is between the two?

Will not run them on the Saab for another year, wife's car is a lease and run flats are getting low so she will run the new rubber first.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I ended up buying a second set of the Ecsta ASTs for my vert. I went from 225/45/17 to 215/45/17. No more rubbing at all with my Lo Suspension springs. :)

·
Super Moderator
31,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Please keep the posts focused on tires reviews. Discussions on your follow-up experience of specific tires can take place by starting new threads in this forum. Thanks.

·
Registered
378 Posts
BRAND: Michelin
Model: Primacy MX4V
Type (summer/all-season): All season
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 215 55 16
Your car: 2009 93 Combi (2.0T)
Price paid:C$900
Vendor: mechanic
Miles/KMs driven so far: 200lms
Impression so far (describe): very quiet comparied to the stock Pirelli P6
Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent):5
Other comments:
So far rating of 5, but I have only a few hundred KMs on them. I was looking for true summers, but had trouble finding them so settled for the All Season Michelins.

·
Registered
771 Posts
BRAND: Bridgestone
Model: Potenza RE760 Sport
Type: Summer
Size: 215/55 R16 97W XL BSW
Your car: '03 9-3 Arc
Price paid: $312 after rebate
Vendor: DiscountTireDirect
Miles driven so far: ~1500
Impression so far (describe): Very grippy tires on dry AND wet pavement. I notice it especially when it starts to rain during driving. I used to run Kumho Ecsta's 4X, but these are a notch better in my opinion. So far I'm very pleased with them. Not sure about the longevity (perhaps 2-3 season at most) and probably wouldn't recommend them for winter.
Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent): 4.5
Other comments: If you can snatch these for $78 per tire like I did, that's a great bang for the buck. Especially the XL version, if you plan on doing light towing occasionally. It's a second set of Potenza's I'm running (used to have a set on my NG900) and I would definitely recommend them.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Super Sports

BRAND: Michelin
Model: Pilot Super Sport
Type (summer/all-season): Ultra High performance Summer
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 235 45 17
Your car: 2009 93 Aero
Price paid: $480 shipped
Vendor: Tirebuyer.com
Miles/KMs driven so far: 750 miles
Impression so far (describe): Great stick, impressive in all aspects
Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent):5
Other comments:
As advertised... Great for the summer set of wheels. Will buy again

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
Model: Avid ENVigor
Type (summer/all-season): Some kind of sporty all-seadon
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 195/60-15 H-rated
Your car: 1997 900S
Miles/KMs driven so far: maybe 30,000 km?
Impression so far (describe): side-to-side vibration, noisy, decent traction though losing wet traction; not driven in snow in the recent past
Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent):2
Other comments:
Started out okay, but quickly developed funny wear. Even with alignment reset and Hunter RoadForce balancing, the steering wheel would vibrate side-to-side at around 110 km/h. Quickly turned noisy. Noise and vibration was lessened by running them backwards (directional tire) (but you do hear that Paul is dead :cool:). I'm not sure just how may kms are on the tires, but they're wearing and wet traction is noticeably worse, resulting in wheelspin on acceleration and ABS cutting in occasionally on braking. I'm planning to put these up for sale, as I've switched to different rims and Michelin Premier tires. They may work better for you. :cheesy:

·
Registered
486 Posts

Model: Advan Sport A/S
Type (summer/all-season): Ultra-high Performance All-season
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 235/40/18 on 8” wide rim.
Your car: 2005 Saab 9-3 Aero Sedan w/ Eibach pro-kit springs, Koni Yellow dampers and Stage 1 tune.
Price paid: $860 CAD including taxes and installation.
Vendor: simplytire.com
Miles/KMs driven: 12,000km including 1 autocross event.

Impressions on the road: Very comfortable ride quality which strikes a good balance between compliance and firmness. Though the sidewalls are softer than a performance summer tire like the Michelin Pilot Super Sport for example, the Advans are by no means floaty in handling. Noise levels are quiet but not silent. Instead there is a very calm and faint white noise across different speeds and surfaces. On the bright side there is no loud resonating impact noises or tread roar. Overall a very pleasant tire to live with. In the wet these tires have tremendous traction and poise. I haven't aquaplaned yet under heavy rain.

Impressions on the track: I have only autocrossed this tire in the rain as a test. Though they are not quite as fast as a summer performance tire, they performed admirably for what they are. Traction in the wet was very stable and safe, and there was just enough grip to wrestle the car around. However the softer sidewalls and smaller tread blocks made the reactions felt more relaxed and not as darty as a performance summer tire.
Ripping through a twisty country road with this tire was very fun. This road had many tight flowing 2nd and 3rd gear turns with plenty of elevation changes. As I aggressively trail-brake deep into the turns, the steering weights up nicely as the tires dig in confidently to get me through. When I accelerate out, i could hear the front tires straining for grip under the ~275ft-lbs of (FWD) torque. If I'm aggressive with the throttle on long sweepers, there can be some gentle understeer but only until i lift off to shift the weight forward and regain turn-in grip.

Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent): 5.0

Other comments:
Track tire pressure = 44PSI front and 44PSI back (hot).
Road tire pressure (commuting) = 38PSI front, 32PSI rear (cold).
Road tire pressure (spirited) = 41PSI front, 35PSI rear (cold).

21 - 40 of 70 Posts