SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Super Moderator
31,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a great running thread of people's reviews of their tires on here. Unfortunately it was recently lost due to a technical glitch with the backup server. But we can start a new one (there's also an adjacent thread for reviews just on winter tires).

I don't recall exactly all the details we used to cover in the tire specs, but it might have been something like this (feel free to add to the template):

(copy/paste bolded section below into your own review post):
========
BRAND:
Model:
Type (summer/all-season):
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter):
Your car:
Price paid:
Vendor:
Miles/KMs driven so far:
Impression so far (describe):
Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent):
Other comments:
========

Let's see how the thread goes :)

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
========
BRAND:Hankook
Model: Ventus S1 noble2
Type (summer/all-season): Ultra High Performance All Season
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 225/45ZR18 95W
Wheel Size/Model: 7.5 X 18 Saab Inca
Your car: 2004 9-3 Arc Convertible with Sport Suspension
Price paid:$540 after $60 rebate
Vendor: Tire Rack
Miles/KMs driven so far: 1500 miles
Impression so far (describe): Excellent tire so far. Very grippy in all conditions so far (not tested in snow yet). Very quiet compared to tires on my other Saab (Cooper CS 4).
Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent): 5
Other comments: Could not be happier with these for the money. Highly recommended.
========

·
Super Moderator
31,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
========
BRAND: Kumho
Model: Ecsta 4X (KU-22)
Type (summer/all-season): all-season
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 225/40/18"
Your car: 2006 9-3 SportCombi
Price paid: ~ Cdn$900 before taxes
Vendor: Tireland
Miles/KMs driven so far: ~ 5000 kms
Impression so far (describe): Very nice. Quiet on most road surfaces. Haven't had much experience on rain (nor light snow). Grippy. Tracks straight. Inspires confidence.
Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent): 4
Other comments: N/A
========

·
Registered
269 Posts
Michelin Primacy MXV4

BRAND:Michelin
Model:primacy MXV4
Type (summer/all-season):All-season
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter):215/55/16 93H
Your car:2002 & 2003 Saab 9-5 Linear Estate
Price paid:~140 each installed
Vendor:Discount Tire
Miles/KMs driven so far:combined, 20k
Impression so far (describe):Well wearing and very quiet tire. I've also had Yokohama YK580 on this car and those hummed and vibrated to the point that my rear view mirror image was hard to distinguish when driving on the interstate. Switched to these (at the local Discount Tire store) on my '02 after such a good experience on my '03 and don't regret it. Never have hydroplaned from what I can remember and I've been in real heavy rain several times. Very decent in snow and slush. Solid feel at high speeds. High speed, large bumps are well absorbed. It looks like I may reach 60k with these.
Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent):5
Other comments:Not the most sporty, squared-shoulder feeling tire

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
BRAND: BF Goodrich
Model: g-Force T/A KDW-2
Type (summer/all-season): Summer
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 215/45-17
Your car: Modded NG900
Price paid: ~$130 each
Vendor: Costco
Miles/KMs driven so far: 10,000 miles
Impression so far (describe): Amazing dry grip, exceptional in the wet stuff. Really responsive in turns and forgiving when pushed. An all-around excellent tire with one major drawback: the tread design produces a loud annoying hum between 35-40 mph and they're generally more noisy than comparable tires at highway speeds. Not sure this would make a good choice for a family car.

Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent): A solid 4.

========

·
Registered
269 Posts
========
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 225/40/18"
Your car: 2006 9-3 SportCombi
Price paid: ~ Cdn$900 before taxes
Vendor: Tireland
Miles/KMs driven so far: ~ 5000 kms
Impression so far (describe): Very nice. Quiet on most road surfaces. Haven't had much experience on rain (nor light snow). Grippy. Tracks straight. Inspires confidence.
========

I completely agree SaabKen...
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 225/55/16"
Your car: 1999 9-5 SE 5 spd
Price paid: $500
Vendor: Tirerack.com
Miles/KMs driven so far: 15,000 miles
Impression so far (describe):They are an excellent value. They performed above my expectations on wet, dry, and noise/comfort. Much quieter than the "Primewells" that were on when I bought the car! I sold those cheapo tires and am much happier with these. However, the snow handling is below average, even for all season standards. I drive easier than most, and the tires seem to harden up much more in the cold. They are ok if you take it easy though. Perfect for three season driving! Still have
========

·
Super Moderator
31,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
12 Posts
Kumho Ecsta LE

Model: Ecsta Sport LE
Type (summer/all-season): Summer
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 235/45-17
Your car: 2006 SAAB 9-3 aero
Price paid: ~$90 each
Vendor: tirerack.com
Impressions: reasonably quiet, very good grip on turns, can handle high speeds on the highway in the rain. Summer Performance gets 4/5 stars. Just make sure to change back to winter tires before the first snow. Just a thin layer of snow on the ground and you can lock the tires at 30mph. Overall I would give them 3/5 stars because I had one tire crack and leak straight through the sidewall. Keep in mind these are my summer tires and they have sat in a shed outside through two winters before cracking. The other three tires still seem fine though.

·
Registered
647 Posts
BRAND:Michelin
Model:primacy MXV4
Type (summer/all-season):All-season
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter):215/55/16 93H
Your car:2002 & 2003 Saab 9-5 Linear Estate
Price paid:~140 each installed
Vendor:Discount Tire
Miles/KMs driven so far:combined, 20k
Impression so far (describe):Well wearing and very quiet tire. I've also had Yokohama YK580 on this car and those hummed and vibrated to the point that my rear view mirror image was hard to distinguish when driving on the interstate. Switched to these (at the local Discount Tire store) on my '02 after such a good experience on my '03 and don't regret it. Never have hydroplaned from what I can remember and I've been in real heavy rain several times. Very decent in snow and slush. Solid feel at high speeds. High speed, large bumps are well absorbed. It looks like I may reach 60k with these.
Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent):5
Other comments:Not the most sporty, squared-shoulder feeling tire
I've only driven on these tires for about 100 miles but I have to say from my experience this is a spot on review. I think it's important to note that if your goal is to maintain the sporty performance feel from OE or high performance tires you will want to steer clear of the MXV4. As far as noise, comfort and general performace is a wide range of conditions the MXV4 is a fantastic tire compared to the P6 and DWS which were defective, tracked terribly and were loud. I was initially considering taking advantage of Michelon's 30-day buy-back and replacing the MXV with a more performance-orientated but my commute into work the past couple of days convinced me not to. With my driving style I'm willing to sacrifice a little on the performance end for the smoother, quiter ride, decently performing all-season winter performance. The MXV4 on imperfections in the road is outstanding. With the P6s and DWS I used to swerve to avoid like a plague any cracks or divets in the road. With the MXV4 I roll right over them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
BRAND:Cooper
Model: Zeon RS3-A
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 225/45R17XL 94W
Your car: 2002 Saab Aero 9-5
Price paid:$102/tire--$517 installed
Vendor: Discount Tire
Miles/KMs driven so far: 10 miles
Impression so far (describe): Just bought today after researching. It was between these and the Kumho Ecsta ASX. So far it drives smooth, I will update as I put more mileage on them. So far I have noticed much less noisy then my stock Potenzas I had on previously.
Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent): Will rate in future.
Other comments: Will post back in a month or so.

·
Registered
486 Posts

BRAND: Michelin
Model: Primacy MXV4
Type (summer/all-season): Grand Touring All-Season
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 225/45/17 on 7” wide rim.
Your car: 2005 Saab 9-3 Aero Sedan w/ stock Aero springs and dampers.
Price paid: came with car.
Vendor: N/A
Miles/KMs driven: 8,817km

Impressions on the track: Nothing worth noting. It doesn’t handle autocross very well. It’s easy enough to drive but it has low limits and understeers a lot. Wears quickly if abused. This is practically a touring tire so no surprises here.

Impressions on the road: Very luxurious ride. Quiet and absorbs impacts well. Gets around okay in cold and light snow, obviously no match for a winter tire. Though the MXV4 are definitely better than the standard ContiProContacts that come standard on so many factory cars out there, they're quite expenseive and not good value for Canadians as an all-season tire. It’s more suitable in warmer climates with little snow.

Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent): 3.5
Other comments:

·
Registered
486 Posts

BRAND: Hankook
Model: Ventus V12 evo K110
Type (summer/all-season): Max Performance Summer
Your car: 2005 Saab 9-3 Aero Sedan w/ stock Aero springs and Bilstein dampers.
Price paid: $660 CAD including taxes and installation.
Vendor: tires23.com
Miles/KMs driven: 14,078km over 1.5 summers including 1 track day and 8 autocross events.

Impressions on the track: Not meant for heavy front wheel drive cars. My car really didn’t like these tires. Turn-in is slow and just doesn’t bite. Just understeer everywhere. The rubber compound doesn’t withstand abuse at all; it gets greasy quick and chunks. Braking performance is lacking and doesn’t inspire confidence.

Impressions on the road: Luxurious and planted ride. Quiet when new, but mild tread noise is heard as the directional tread pattern wears. Soft sidewalls absorb large impacts well. Feels very safe in the wet. Good value for people wanting a comfortable touring tire with a bit of athleticism.

Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent): 3.5
Other comments: Track tire pressure = 45PSI both front and back (hot). Road tire pressure = 35PSI both front and back (cold).

·
Registered
486 Posts

Model: Pilot Super Sport
Type (summer/all-season): Max Performance Summer
Your car: 2005 Saab 9-3 Aero Sedan w/ stock Aero springs and Bilstein dampers.
Price paid: $1030 CAD including taxes and installation.
Vendor: Tires23.com
Miles/KMs driven: 21,758km including 1 track day and 12 autocross events.

Impressions on the track: Brilliant dynamics though not as extreme as other track focused tires. Progressive grip up to the limit and it’s audible to let you know. Turn-in is very sharp and makes my car’s passive rear wheel steering (ReAxs) come alive. This makes chucking the car around really fun. Confident traction in the wet. Rubber compound withstands abuse quite well, except Saab got it wrong recommending a 225mm section tire on the stock 7” rim which made the tire rollover on its sidewalls wearing them down quicker than the rest of the tire.

Impressions on the road: Stiff sidewalls which were good for handling, but don’t absorb big bumps well. Hits from potholes and expansion joints are jarring and get worse as the tire wears because there’s less rubber to squish around and absorb the impact. On the bright side, tread noise is very minimal overall. Little rolling resistance means easier coasting at high speeds and better MPG. Good treadlife for what you get in performance. Very safe in the wet and resists aquaplaning.

Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent): 5.0
Other comments: Track tire pressure = 44PSI front and 45PSI back (hot). Road tire pressure = 35PSI front, 36PSI rear (cold).

·
Registered
486 Posts
http://www.sailuntire.ca/images/Z4/1.jpg
BRAND: Sailun
Model: Atrezzo Z4+AS
Type (summer/all-season): Ultra High Performance All-Season
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 235/45/17 on 7.5” wide rim.
My dad's car: 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T Sedan (60th Anniversary edition) w/ stock standard suspension.
Price paid: came with car.
Vendor: N/A
Miles/KMs driven so far: Approximately 6-8 months of daily city commuting.

Impressions on the track: I haven’t pushed these tires to the limit myself. I’ve only seen other cars run with them and they squeal like a mofo and are very slow and sloppy in the transitions. No performance aspect whatsoever.

Impressions on the road: Loud tread noise over all surfaces. Grainy and rough ride. It’s a hard stiff tire so at least it feels somewhat planted when maneuvering around town. In the winter this tire is useless and dangerous in the snow; ABS and ESP is constantly working overtime.
Treadlife is poor, they wear very quickly and require frequent rotation.

Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent): 1.0
Other comments: Garbage Chinese tire, avoid.

·
Registered
486 Posts

BRAND: Continental
Model: ExtremeContact DWS
Type (summer/all-season): Ultra High Performance All-Season
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 235/45/17 on 7.5” wide rim.
My dad's car: 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T Sedan (60th Anniversary edition) w/ stock standard suspension.
Price paid: $825 CAD including taxes and installation.
Vendor: SimplyTire.com
Miles/KMs driven so far: Approximately 1 year of daily city commuting including 2 winters.

Impressions on the track: N/A

Impressions on the road: Despite the aggressive winter-capable tread pattern, this tire rides smooth and is decently quiet but not completely silent. Soft sidewalls absorb bumps well. Steering is nicely weighted and feels confident though inputs are a bit slow.
In the winter this tire is very forgiving. Traction during acceleration and braking and emergency maneuvers are very good for an all-season tire and are not far behind in a direct comparison with my Continental ExtremeWinterContact winter tires. I just wonder how long that performance will last as the tread wears.

Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent): 4.0
Other comments:

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think a lot of people are going to be asking for advice and reviews on summer tires given the season change (one can hope). This thread has been great so far, anyone else have any input?

PS-Bonus points for any word on Bridgestone's Potenza S-04 as they're my top choice right now.

·
Registered
268 Posts
========
BRAND:Hankook
Model: Ventus S1 noble2
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 225/45R17 95W
Wheel Size/Model: 7.5 X 17 Saab
Your car: 2004 9-5 Arc
Price paid:$600
Vendor: CJ Tire & Auto, West Lawn, PA
Miles/KMs driven so far: 30000 miles
Impression so far (describe): Excellent performance, even in snow. Wear is excellerated to the point that I will be getting them replaced in a month.
Other comments: Overall I give them a thumbs up. I normally wear out tires prior to the warranty coverage. The vendor will discount/pro rate the next set. ;ol;
========

Report this image

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
========
BRAND: KUHMO
Model: Ecsta 4X
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 235/45ZR17 97W XL
Wheel Size/Model: 7.5 X 17 Saab Aero 5 spoke
Your car: 2008 9-3 SS 2.0T
Price paid:$460 after $60 rebate
Vendor: City Tire (Long Island)
Miles/KMs driven so far: 10 miles
Impression so far (describe): I went with this tire for this application due to its higher load rating as this car will have a trailer hitch. I was originally planning on using the same Hankook's that I used on my vert (see above) but those are only rated at 94W in this size. I also installed brand new OEM Schrader TPMS sensors at the same time which added $235 to overall cost. This is my daughters car so I ned to keep it simple.
Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent): Will report back
Other comments: Will report back
========

·
Registered
269 Posts
I completely agree SaabKen...
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 225/55/16"
Your car: 1999 9-5 SE 5 spd
Price paid: $500
Vendor: Tirerack.com
Impression so far (describe):They are an excellent value. They performed above my expectations on wet, dry, and noise/comfort. Much quieter than the "Primewells" that were on when I bought the car! I sold those cheapo tires and am much happier with these. However, the snow handling is below average, even for all season standards. I drive easier than most, and the tires seem to harden up much more in the cold. They are ok if you take it easy though. Perfect for three season driving! Still have
========
UPDATE: I have about 25k miles on these tires. They are down to about 4/32-5/32. Rotated every 5k. Seem to be wearing evenly. They have gotten louder, not intrusive, just more noticeable. I'll get 40k out of them, as expected. But I've never had them rebalanced and there's no shaking.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Model:
MXM4
Type (summer/all-season):
all season
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 235/45/17
Your car:
2009 Saab 93 2.0T
Price paid: $790 after tax and $70 rebate
Vendor: Sam's Club
Miles/KMs driven so far: Almost 30K
Impression so far (describe): Much better than the Continentals I had on them when I bought the car. Ride is much quieter and smoother. Gas milage went up significantly with these tires - now getting 31-32 MPG highway. Was only getting around 28 MPG with the Continentals.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts