SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I recently brought my 2000 9-3 SE to get its A/C repaired, and when I picked it up...the shop said "oh...and in the next few months you should get a new belt tensioner"

Really?? Though I have a brand new belt and idler pulley, she said something to the effect that when she drove the car with the steering wheel all the way to one side, resulting in a weight shift...she felt a vibration...which she said was the result of an worn tensioner pulley.

Any thoughts on this? New pulley or pulley assembly? If I can do my own brakes, can / should I fix this myself? I don't have any specialized tools other than wrenches/screwdrivers. Your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'm not sure what you mean by "rack problem" - but what she said didn't make sense to me either. Are there any other tests I can do to rule out one issue or the other?

·
Registered
92 Posts
her chest prob shifted in her bra when she cut the wheel all the way. her own rack problem haha

rack problem- meaning issue with the power steering rack, if they mentioned the tie rods(inner,outer) or the mount that goes into the firewall. Any leaks?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Hi all. I recently brought my 2000 9-3 SE to get its A/C repaired, and when I picked it up...the shop said "oh...and in the next few months you should get a new belt tensioner"

Really?? Though I have a brand new belt and idler pulley, she said something to the effect that when she drove the car with the steering wheel all the way to one side, resulting in a weight shift...she felt a vibration...which she said was the result of an worn tensioner pulley.

Any thoughts on this? New pulley or pulley assembly? If I can do my own brakes, can / should I fix this myself? I don't have any specialized tools other than wrenches/screwdrivers. Your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
The "shop" - I question their abilities to diagnose...and to stick to the assigned task (AC)...The tensioner is in two parts , a pulley and the rest (spring and housing)...
The serpentine drive system consists of many parts...it would be up to $1000 to replace all, which of course is un-necessary....I doubt if anything is seriously worn in the tensioner...If the spring was weak the belt would slip (squeak and squeal)..
If the pulley bearing was worn , then the belt could be thrown off, but first one would hear the rumble and roar of a worn out bearing..
Define "specialized tools" .....Doing the pulleys and belt is no easy task, IMO, not for a novice.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Although I will say the tensioner pully is one glaring weak spot on these cars and MUST be replaced every 40K. I've had 2 break on me at around that mark.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts