SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time to replace the tires on our '01 9-5 2.3lpt sedan. They will need to be an all-season tire with M+S rating. I'm replacing a set of Toyo Proxes TPTs. I had 2 sets of those on my NG900 and they were fine, but I haven't particularly loved them on the 9-5.

The 9-5 is my wife's daily driver, and she loves her 9-5 but to her tires are just the black things that touch the road. I've got Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on my V70R and I think they're great. But they're expensive, as in $184/each on Discount Tire's web site. Most other recommended tires on that site are around $110/each.

Do any of you have a favorite A/S tire for your 9-5? If so, what is it? Please share, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks-
kevin

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
I also had the Pilot Sport A/S's on my 9-5 and loved em. They didn't last incredibly long, but I guess that's what I get for an "ultra performance" all-season tire. Right now I have the Goodyear Response Edge tires and so far I like 'em. The Pilot Sports didn't tramline very much, the only reason I noticed they tramlined at all is because the Response Edge's don't-- At all. The Response Edge's also look much more meaty than the Pilot Sport A/S's, and it's because of how vertical the sidewall is on the Response Edge. They look more like a racing slick if you can picture that. I don't have very many miles on these Goodyears, but they looked interesting having 5 different tread territories, a soft inner wall for comfortable ride, and then a rigid carbon fiber reinforced outer wall with solid blocks for shoulders with a solid band of rubber (reminds me of a racing slick) right to the inside of that. I was very surprised with how well these handle so far, then again I have only maybe 700 miles on them so far.

Tire Rack shows 'em for $126 each.
The Eagle F1 A/S's are basically a response to the Pilot Sport A/S's if you'd like to try a different tire, and they only cost $138 each.

Response Edge Tread: ($126)

Eagle F1 A/S Tread: ($138)

Pilot Sport A/S Tread: ($181)

I have also heard great things from friends that Nokian tires are awesome in the snow. However, they are quite expensive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just replaced my tires on my 01 95 w/ General Altimax HP. Though it is an HR rated tire, it sticks on acceleration and handles corners as well as my Michelin's did, if not better. Plus w/ the treadwear at 440, they will last a bit longer... try this site if you interested. Best price I've seen and 2nd order for tires I've placed w/ them.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Altimax+HP&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=155HR6AMAXHP&fromCompare1=yes&place=1&speed_rating=H&speed_rating=V&speed_rating=Z&speed_rating=W&speed_rating=Y&minSpeedRating=H

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have had Nokian on my old car...very good tires...but those where dedicated winter tires...hakkapelitta ore somthing like that was what the model was named....very good tires. But i use dedicated Winter and Summer tires. Goodyear for summer and Uniroyal for winter...havent had the saab on winter tires yet, so time will show.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
fusionrx said:
Best all season tire out there that are great for snow driving as well (as good as dedicated winter tires)! This is what I am putting on my car in a couple of weeks as soon as they come in stock in town.

http://www.nokiantires.com/images/highres/wrg2.jpg
If you get snow at all, the Nokian WR can't be beat, it's an all-season tire with great winter performance. I use a set of NRWs (predecessor to the WR) as my winter tires - in fact after 5 winters I am getting them replaced with WRs even as we speak. And they are on sale right now here - $125 each.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Consumer Reports just rated ultra performance tires (all-season and summer). What they found was interesting to me because the tires I run, Bridgestone RE960AS were rated fairly average, I believe the Continentals that are listed on Tirerack were CR best buys..Falkin was at the top IIRC.. If I can remember I'll post some of the details from the report.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
MacNoob said:
If you get snow at all, the Nokian WR can't be beat, it's an all-season tire with great winter performance. I use a set of NRWs (predecessor to the WR) as my winter tires - in fact after 5 winters I am getting them replaced with WRs even as we speak. And they are on sale right now here - $125 each.
How do those wear? I was always curious as to how they did so well in the winter and last at all on dry pavement. Gotta be some soft rubber with lots of syping! Not great for dry performance driving. :confused:

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
SectorNine50 said:
How do those wear? I was always curious as to how they did so well in the winter and last at all on dry pavement. Gotta be some soft rubber with lots of syping! Not great for dry performance driving. :confused:
They've got a fair bit of siping - about halfway between a dedicated winter tire and a normal summer tire. Mine were 2/3 worn after 5 winters on them - 2 with my 9000 Aero and 3 with my 9-5 wagon. Replacing them because one ended up with a separated belt or something that makes it very 'lumpy'. They have an 80k km (50k miles) treadwear warranty in Canada and I see no reason they wouldn't make it that far.

I think probably they would drive fine for everyday use in the summer. I'm using little 195/65-15s on steel wheels for winter and they are pleasant on dry pavement but not like my Ecsta ASX for enthusiastic driving. Hard to compare though because they are a narrower/taller size.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/hl/pilot.htm

has a review. Interestingly, they got theirs from the same shop that's providing mine.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The pirelli (P6 4 seasons) tires that came on mine are *****. They are noisy with medocre grip and feel like they have golf balls in them on the highway. Here they are if you want to be miserable:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=P6+Four+Seasons

I think I would rather have bias plys on that these awful rubber rings of pain. I would swap them out now if they did not have so much tread left. Winter is coming and I will see how they do, but I have my eye on a set of PZero Nero tires when i finally rid myself of these pathetic perambulators. In the mood for alliteration today...Sorry to inflict this upon you all.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
SectorNine50 said:
I should have some of the new WR G2's on my car by November. According to the manuf. 60 K miles if you do regular rotation etc.

Like anything if you want to do 'performance driving' get a Ultra High Performance Tire like Pirelli P-zero nero, Vredstein, etc. I don't expect to be doing alot of 'performance driving' with 2 kids in the back. :)

I need something that will last me a long time and provide great snow performance.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The P6s are awful. I replaced mine with Bridgestone G009s... I am most impressed. They're a great balance between ride comfort, quiet, and performance.

I have the standard 16" wheels on my '04 9-5 Arc and I can't think of a tire that better suits this application. I'd have to look at my receipt again, but they were about $100/tire from the Firestone store (best price I could find). I've got maybe 7k on them now and they look new (as they should).

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bringer said:
The pirelli (P6 4 seasons) tires that came on mine are *****. They are noisy with medocre grip and feel like they have golf balls in them on the highway. In the mood for alliteration today...Sorry to inflict this upon you all.
I've never had good luck with any Pirelli tires on our Saabs, nor the ones that came new on my Volvo. I'd already decided that Pirellis are not an option...

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've tended to find that directional tyres tend to be the worst for long term wear and noise. They grip like all hell for 10k kms and then things get a bit weaker and they are quite noisy...

I'd go for a asymetrical pattern tyre or symetrical tyre.

I currently run Yokohama DB550 low debical tyres... good grip and extremely quiet (seeing as 9-5 lets in a decent amount of tyre noise!)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Another vote for the Bridgestone G009's. I have these on both my cars, and find the dry preformance is good, wet is exceptional, and winter/snow/ice to be acceptable. Note that these are only H rated, but I don't plan to be driving more than 210 km/hr.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
What are your parameters for a tire?

Cost?
Dry Traction?
Tramlining Resistance?
Hydroplaning Resistance?
Winter Traction?
Tread Life?
Noise?

I am currently running Cooper Zeon Sport A/S tires on my 2000 9-5.

Cost - Low (especially for a W-rated tire)
Dry Traction - High
Tramlining Resistance - Medium to High
Hydroplaning Resistance - High
Winter Traction - High for a performance tire (I run dedicated winter tires but have been pleased by these Zeons in the "Surprise!" early Fall and late Spring snows)
Tread Life - 30,000 miles (I would love longer life but for a W-rated tire I can't really complain)
Noise - Low until the tread is gone

·
Registered
71 Posts
Roger,

I've had those Cooper's on my list for some time now, but Sector Nine's report on the Goodyear Response got me very interested in that tire. So, about how much do the Cooper's cost?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
AdrianB said:
I've tended to find that directional tyres tend to be the worst for long term wear and noise. They grip like all hell for 10k kms and then things get a bit weaker and they are quite noisy...

I'd go for a asymetrical pattern tyre or symetrical tyre.

I currently run Yokohama DB550 low debical tyres... good grip and extremely quiet (seeing as 9-5 lets in a decent amount of tyre noise!)
The new Nokian WRg2's are asymetrical patterned.

Very curious on their performance in a cold Minnesota winter. Its gotta be comparable to the Finnish winter!! :eek:

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'm on my second set of Bridgestone Turanzas....smooth, quiet, and as good a tire as I've run. I believe they're being discontinued if not already...Check the Tire Rack for more information and Owner reviews. These tires relaced 2 previous sets of Dunlop Sport 9000's that I loved but nearly killed myself with trying to drive them through a Wisconsin Winter.....not smart on my part!....If I can't get another set of Turanzas, I'm not sure what to buy...I'm about due........Zebulon

1 - 20 of 93 Posts