Should I colour code the black trim?

• Yes paint them

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • No dont paint them

Votes: 24 66.7%
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Saab 9-5 2.3T, Stage lll ecu, 3" downpipe, 2.5" BSR cat back, 60th Ann wheels.
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its something I have been considering - painting the black rub strips to match the body colour. I really like the look of the newer models that are done this way. But will it look good on my 2000 aero?

On the weekend I will be painting a new side skirt due to the old one being smashed in a pothole incident and repairing/painting the rear bumper cover which was swiped in a parking lot.

I have the paint - base/clear and will have more than enough to do all the rub strips as well. Pricy stuff, the base was $147 for a litre.

So I will leave it up to you to decide - to paint or not to paint? Democracy in action.

Here is a recent pic:

·
Registered
199 Posts
If you had a silver one i'd say yes without a doubt.

I don't mind the red one with the black stripes but we all know that it's going to look wicked all red.

Since you are going to the effort to paint and have the gear (and presumeably the skill) to do it. I vote

YES

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
I personally really like the red with the black rub-rails. I'd leave it considering you may not get it to match perfectly.

I vote NO. :cool:

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I vote no and if you do paint the strips you need to paint the door handles also or the car will look very unbalanced.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Someone (someone not me) needs to photoshop that piccy so we can see what all-red would look like. Nice wheels - glad I don't have to clean them.

G

·
a photoshop would be nice to help decide. personally i think your car looks fab the way it is. if you go all red, i agree that you must do the door handles in addition, otherwise it would look "off."

·
Registered
610 Posts
photoshopped this to my cayanne red metallic:

I am on the fence, especially now that i have the aero kit on and painted. i think the black breaks things up very nicely.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
I have added a poll, you you folks vote again please ;)

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
I've voting yes if you tint the windows and paint the doorhandles as well. :cool:

·
Registered
2006 Saab 9-5 2.3T, Stage lll ecu, 3" downpipe, 2.5" BSR cat back, 60th Ann wheels.
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
blixahaha said:
a photoshop would be nice to help decide. personally i think your car looks fab the way it is. if you go all red, i agree that you must do the door handles in addition, otherwise it would look "off."
This is the best example I could find. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I personally think that the color matched strips only look good on black and silver cars, but particularly NOT on red cars. As long as you keep the strips nice and shiny, the contrast to the red is awesome.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
If one has a black 9-5 it looks really nice.

I have a white 9-5, and the cheap black plastic door pulls really stand out!

At least 2 reviews I read before I bought my 9-5 mentioned that body coloured mouldings and door pulls would be nice.

I see they took the advice in the most recent 9-5. Looks better for sure.

I think it would look good for sure.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Painting is done!

Thanks to everyone who voted.

Looks like 11 of you voted the right way, and the majority got it wrong!
I guess in my version of democracy its my vote that counts and I decided to do the trim red.

In all I painted both bumper covers, the new side skirt, the door trim, the underdoor strips, and the windshield washer sprayers. Everything got three coats base and four coats clear. Total cost was $280 for paint plus $30 sandpaper and filler.

The door handles will have to wait as to do that job right I would have to take the doors apart to remove the handles - maybe next time.

Here are a few quick pics. How does it look? Better pics when its daytime.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts