SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, most of you know that I have Wulf's old 9-5.
Some, especially me, would say it was the best he ever had. ;)

I need to put new rubber on it when the winters come off.
No, have no fear, this is not just another tire thread.

I am wondering who has moved from the stock 225 to 235's that the 06 and later models came with.

The main reason for my question is that I am wondering just how much the wider (and stiffer - usually with a sidewall rating of 94 vs. the 225's 91) tire makes a difference to the ride and feel of an 05 (or earlier).
I have noted many times (and been backed up by guys like Wulf) how much different (read that as better) the 06 and later 9-5 feels on the road.
The ride is more controlled, steering is better, and overall feel is tighter.

How much of that can be attributed to the tires?

Who has done this and can share their experiences?

I'm planning on going with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S+ when the time comes and it is just a matter of deciding on the size.
I am quite willing to do what I can to make my 05 feel more like a later model 9-5.

Also, I'm planning on putting those tires on what may be the favourites around here, the double 3-spoke from the 9-3.
Anyone put a 235 on those tires? Can you share some pics?

·
Banned
2,243 Posts

I need to put new rubber on it when the winters come off.
No, have no fear, this is not just another tire thread.

I am wondering who has moved from the stock 225 to 235's that the 06 and later models came with.

The main reason for my question is that I am wondering just how much the wider (and stiffer - usually with a sidewall rating of 94 vs. the 225's 91) tire makes a difference to the ride and feel of an 05 (or earlier).
I have noted many times (and been backed up by guys like Wulf) how much different (read that as better) the 06 and later 9-5 feels on the road.
The ride is more controlled, steering is better, and overall feel is tighter.

How much of that can be attributed to the tires?

Who has done this and can share their experiences?

I'm planning on going with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S+ when the time comes and it is just a matter of deciding on the size.
I am quite willing to do what I can to make my 05 feel more like a later model 9-5.

Also, I'm planning on putting those tires on what may be the favourites around here, the double 3-spoke from the 9-3.
Anyone put a 235 on those tires? Can you share some pics?
Im doing this in the summer so im interested in this topic too. Im going to request a pic to the 235's on the 9-3 ss double spoke aeros

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I'm mounting 235's when i can also, so im interested.

but Scott, are you proposing that the 235 tire could make for a rougher ride overall? it seems that will the 10mm larger contact patch you theoretically have, it would only get smoother. why is it that a wider tire would make for a less comfortable ride? I would think its only really sidewall height that will affect that.

I'm no expert when it comes to tires, i find suspension more interesting :cheesy:.

W

·
0 Posts
We'll know for sure after I put another 90K miles on mine. I'll let you know in about 6 years. :D

I don't think you will notice a 10mm width difference at all. There were so many other changes in the 2006+ models and the tire width increase is marginal.
http://saabarchive.com/models/9-5/2006/usa/improvements/index.html

The sidewall height actually increased a bit by going from 225 to 235 in the same 45 height. I think the type of tire will play a much bigger difference than the width increase.

I was thinking of doing the change myself as well but mostly because they would fill out the wheel wells a little bit better. Especially with 7.5" width rims.

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm mounting 235's when i can also, so im interested.

but Scott, are you proposing that the 235 tire could make for a rougher ride overall? it seems that will the 10mm larger contact patch you theoretically have, it would only get smoother. why is it that a wider tire would make for a less comfortable ride? I would think its only really sidewall height that will affect that.

I'm no expert when it comes to tires, i find suspension more interesting :cheesy:.
We'll know for sure after I put another 90K miles on mine. I'll let you know in about 6 years. :D

I don't think you will notice a 10mm width difference at all. There were so many other changes in the 2006+ models and the tire width increase is marginal.
http://saabarchive.com/models/9-5/2006/usa/improvements/index.html

The sidewall height actually increased a bit by going from 225 to 235 in the same 45 height. I think the type of tire will play a much bigger difference than the width increase.

I was thinking of doing the change myself as well but mostly because they would fill out the wheel wells a little bit better. Especially with 7.5" width rims.

It isn't the extra 10mm width that I think will make the difference (except in steering response perhaps).

It is the higher (therefore stiffer) sidewall rating.
Most high perf all seasons have a 91 sidewall rating.
Most 235's are 94.
I know what sort of a difference it made going from my "summer" all seaons (17" Conti Extreme Contact 225/45-17 91Y) to my winters (16" Gislaved NordFrost 5 215/55-16 94T XL).
The winters don't loose any sidewall stiffness based on how they perform in winter winds.
That being the case, I would expect going to a 94 on a 235 17" would make the tire that much stiffer than the 91 on a 225.

Keep in mind, I may know a thing or three about tires, but I am no expert. ;oops:

W

·
0 Posts
It is the higher (therefore stiffer) sidewall rating.
Most high perf all seasons have a 91 sidewall rating.
I am not sure what the tire availability is Canada but Tirerack shows 12 different tires (all-season in HP/UHP) with a 94 / XL rating in 225/45-17. Correct me if I am wrong but I thought Saab specifies 94 / XL tires for the 9-5?

It just seems to me there are so many different variables (temperature, road surface, tire condition, tire brand and type) that you would only be able to tell the difference between a 91 and 94 load rating if you would compare the exact same brand on the same day on the same road on the same car.

I am not an expert either so this is just my opinion. :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had 225 45 17 94W Continental Sport Contact 2 on my estate (wagon). I recently 4k miles ago changed to 235 45 17 94W Continental Sport Contact 2 no discernable difference at road speeds. But then again I am no expert either.......:cheesy:

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Most tire companies recommend 7.5" rims for 235 tires. My '05 Aero 5 spokes are only 7".

Due to the horrid roads here, I am looking at 225/50-17 this spring - something with a 94 load rating like original.

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Most tire companies recommend 7.5" rims for 235 tires. My '05 Aero 5 spokes are only 7".

Due to the horrid roads here, I am looking at 225/50-17 this spring - something with a 94 load rating like original.

And I'm looking to move to the double 3-spoke that came on the 9-3 SE (2002MY I believe).
Given this car used a 215 tire, I would think at best it would be 7" (yes, I know, I should know this).
If that is the case, should I be putting a 235 on there?

As for tire choices, I really am stuck on the Michelin's.
The only alternative I might consider would be the Conti Extreme DWS.
But the Michelin is first choice.
And the 225 in that is only a 91Y ... :cry:

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
I think look up your desired specific tire and see what rim size is recommended. Not straying too far from that is wise. Of course you can fit any size tire on any rim (look at those tire stretching guys - but we don't want to be associated with them;))

With our tire wear/camber issues I think staying with recommended load ratings is a good plan to get long tire life. My feeling too is that lower load rating = softer sidewalls = softer handling/ride.

For me, I'm leaning to the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity 225/50-17 (94W) at this point.

Hmmm - the Pilot Sport A/S Plus is available in that size too - and marginally less money than the Bridgestones! Food for thought. Both available at Costco now too.

W

·
0 Posts
And I'm looking to move to the double 3-spoke that came on the 9-3 SE (2002MY I believe).
Given this car used a 215 tire, I would think at best it would be 7" (yes, I know, I should know this).
If that is the case, should I be putting a 235 on there?
Are you referring to these? They are 17" x 7" and best tire width would be 225.

They are actually for the 9-5 with an ET49 (part# 400132908).

Love those wheels! :cool:

There are also these wheels for the 9-3 but they have a different part number (400131447) and I assume a different offset.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I changed my tires a couple of years ago to 235/45/17 and I must admit it really has'nt made much difference:confused:
I must say they do look a little more aggresive though:lol:

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are you referring to these? They are 17" x 7" and best tire width would be 225.

Love those wheels! :cool:

Yes sir ... those are them and I love them too!
Can't wait to put them on my 9-5! :cool:

I guess I should start tire shopping again and see what I can find that fits my needs.
I really did want the Michelin`s though.
My experiences with them have been fantastic!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Bazza69 why did you change? - I got a deal on wheel/tyres which made 235 45 17 a no brainer for me new saab wheels and tyres for £425 and I needed 4 new tyres....

W

·
0 Posts
Yes sir ... those are them and I love them too!
Can't wait to put them on my 9-5! :cool:
I updated my previous post. There are different wheels for the 9-3 and 9-5 but both are 7".

And then there are the Double Evo wheels (12786708) for the 9-3 SS which are also 17 x 7".

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I updated my previous post. There are different wheels for the 9-3 and 9-5 but both are 7".

And then there are the Double Evo wheels (12786708) for the 9-3 SS which are also 17 x 7".

Not those ... one of the other 2.
But now you have confused me.
I have 1 wheel right now, brand new, never been on any car.
I will have to check the part number on it ... don`t want to be ordering 3 more that don`t match up. :confused:

·
Registered
120 Posts
235s will fit with no problem on a 7inch wheel, I ran 265s on the front OEM 8inch wheels on my m3 last year and lap times where the same as when I ran them on a 9-10 inch wheel.

I really didn't like the pilot sport A/S, loosy steering feel, poor grip and not so great wear when pushed. The Pirelli Nero M+S is much better in the same category.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I changed my tires a couple of years ago to 235/45/17 and I must admit it really has'nt made much difference:confused:
I must say they do look a little more aggresive though:lol:
so you say no difference in quality of the ride??
i wanna put 235s on my aero; but if they come too expensive, i was thinking of putting 235 on the back and 225 on the front; u think its a goo idea?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts