SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I've got a 2002 9-3 automatic transmission that won't start. I've read through a lot of other "my car won't start!" posts, and I'll outline what I've done below. In one of the threads, though, someone made a passing comment along the lines of "maybe your neutral switch is broken.." (I'm paraphrasing). So, my *real* question is: are there any electrical inhibits for engine start that I should check before replacing stuff like the crank position sensor, the fuel pump, etc.?

Here's the troubleshooting I've done so far:

1. Checked all fuses in the cabin. None are shorted.
  2. Engine turns over, so the starter is still good.
  3. Swapped out the DIC cassette for a known good one, and tested the original DIC cassette (both cassettes work). But just because the the DIC cassette is good doesn't mean that it's actually commanding spark. I have *not* tested that the plugs are firing while I turn the key (didn't have a helper yesterday).
  4. I can hear the fuel pump spool up when I turn the key to ON (before START). Likewise, this doesn't mean that it's actually producing flow. I haven't tested that.
  5. I'm watching the tach on the dash, and the needle looks like it's wiggling a tiny amount - but it's a really tiny amount.

This past weekend I replaced the OEM cigarette lighter with a new one, and I added a 12V USB port. The USB port is installed in right side of the center console trim to the right of the gear shift. I'll have to add a picture later. Basically, I snipped the connector off the OEM lighter, and wired in the new lighter and USB (which includes an inline fuse) to the two leads.

The car ran fine after this work, but I'm wondering if maybe I bumped loose another connector in the center console somewhere in the vicinity of the shift lever?

I'm looking for "Easy Button" things to check before I replace the CPS or fuel pump.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts