SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A few days ago I thought I was amazing. I thought I had conquered my wet trunk, shown the Saab who's boss. I fixed the sunroof drain tubes in the trunk, and I WAS THE MAN. I think it heard me saying that to myself, because today I checked the trunk....soaked. Headliner and rear seats too, all wet. I decided to take the headliner out and find out what the problem was. Well, an hour later and I had the headliner off and sunroof taken out. Here's the problem:

Other angle view:

So far I couldn't think of any way to fix this other than 1. replacing sunroof gasket/seal thing 2. moving somewhere like texas. However, I read in another thread that the gasket cannot be replaced, so unless someone tells me some good news here, I'm whipping out the silicone sealant tomorrow. :(

edit: oops, forgot to explain the colors.

green = where water SHOULD go, off through the drain holes and tubes to the outside world.

purple = the divider, where water spills over during heavy rain. Also, since the gasket is in such bad shape, water sometimes falls on the wrong side of this even during light rain.

orange = water flows through, exits sunroof track holes into the headliner above rear seats

red = other exit water isn't supposed to go through

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
your drain hoses that go in the trunk are probably clogged or piched blocking the water from exisiting freely and the water is backing up and accumulating untill it drains into other channels and through the headliner.

Check if any of the draining hoses is pinched or clogged.

If clogged, take the car to a gas station and put compressed air in the hoses they're probably clogged with mud caused by accumulation of dirt and dust.
Good luck

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Kspark, you are a man not afraid of work.

Some just duct-tape the sunroof, this looks horrible, but may be OK for the car soon headed to the junk yard anyway..
My idea of using air pressure to assure that the drains are clear is risky; too much pressure can either blow a hole in the tube or blow it from its nipple - not good at all, if there is no access.
Sunroofs are an added complication, another maintenance item.

K-Spark, can you write the manual on the sun-roof ; as you do have some excellent pics..???

I never even open mine.:cheesy:

·
Registered
973 Posts
Hmm, I wonder if "snaking" out the hose would work? I would try pushing a wire down through to see if the hose is clear... like you would plumbing. Of course you can't be looking to force it, as you may poke a hole in the thing, but being that this is gravity fed, a wire may be enough additional pressure to relieve the clog.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Gas stations have air pressure nipples with a handle to adjust the air pressure. Obviously the guy isn't an idiot he did all this work he knows not to blow the hole with extreme pressure :roll:. Duct taping :eek: That would look like shi* but works :lol:

I like the manual idea though nobody did that so far.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll try to take some more pictures, as my sunroof is completely disassembled now. To those with leaky sunroofs due to worn gaskets, I think I found a solution. If you lift the edge of the gasket up, there is enough space to push in a piece of twine and snake it all around underneath it. Kind of hard to explain, but I'll see if I can take a good photo of it. I thought I solved the problem as the sunroof fit very snugly after I did that...but...a little metal piece that guides the glass holder along the rail snapped off, so now only one side works. Looks like its off to the junkyard to find the itty bitty piece, or else I'll have to put the sunroof in the closed position forever. :(

As for those that say the pipes may be clogged, that's not it. I poured some water into the drain pipes in my sunroof and watched to see if the water went through...half the water went through fine to the back of the car and out, the other half just seeped through the sunroof and leaked out where the headliner would be.

·
Registered
973 Posts
So what you are planning on trying to do is help firm up the gasket using the twine? That may work, I wonder is a piece of rubber tube would work and give you a bit more cushion?

Hey, it's worth a try. I think it would suck not having a sunroof, and duct taping the thing just looks tacky.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Another thing you might try is to put a bead of silicon along the top of the gasket. I would do it fairly thin, its easier to add more than take off if its too thick.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alas, I came home today after work and found my sunroof back in my car. My dad had some time so he put everything back together. Turns out the gasket was a bit too tight, so the motor couldn't push it back into place after pulling the window back, and since I need the emissions done tomorrow to get my title or I get a nice big fine, we had to just close the sunroof and call it quits. Maybe if I get some time in the future I will take it all apart again and try to make the gasket thinner or squishier with Goat's rubber idea, but for now it'll have to stay closed. Sorry, no manual/picture tutorial, but if anyone has any questions about the sunroof I think I'm pretty familiar with it now. :)

·
Registered
973 Posts
I am sure you will get to figure this out. Good luck on passing the emissions test. Look forward to the update on how this sunroof thing works out.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
I think i have the same problem.

It's been raining for a week straight, so i cant really open it much to take a look but i will start with the question of where in the rear do the drain tubes go to?

Also, why now? what about when it snows alot and melts?
it never leaked then :confused:

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Well you guys just had a record rain fall. Your drains could be partially clogged but with all that rain fall it couldn't handle draining all that. If your car is parked at a slope the problem would be much worse as well since all the draining would have to be handled by half the number of drains since there are 4 of them; 2 at the front and 2 at the rear.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
TROLLhattenschatten said:
I think i have the same problem.

It's been raining for a week straight, so i cant really open it much to take a look but i will start with the question of where in the rear do the drain tubes go to?

Also, why now? what about when it snows alot and melts?
it never leaked then :confused:
Like hkayssi said, if you car is parked upwards on a slope, there is a much greater chance of it clogging/overflowing. The rear drain pipes go to the left and right sides of the trunk and then outside. First remove the pipes from the holes in the trunk and make sure the water flows fine to that point...if it doesn't, the other connection in the pipe system is just within the C pillar in the headliner...giveaway clue to this leaking is wet areas along the headliner and underneath the rear seats.

edit: read your other thread and it does indeed sound like it's the middle part of the tube that's giving you trouble...beware, this is a huge PITA to fix. First you'll want to get the headliner out...take out all the plastic pieces attached to the ceiling (careful!! old saab plastic cracks like egg shells!) and then remove all the pillar coverings, and finally take out all the screws that hold the headliner in and slide it out through the back of the car.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Oh great....

Oh why can nothing ever be easy?! now i have to rip out the headlining on top of all the other work?

About how long does this take? and where are the drains in the trunk anyway?

Now i have to figure out how to stop water damage till i can get to it :eek:

EDIT: Actualy i was thinking...C/O might blow the line causing more damage but what about one of those bottles of "keyboard dusting air"?

It seems like this might work as it is positive pressure but not enough to do damage as the nozzle wouldn't block the extra air from blowing a line...
just a thought.....

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh why can nothing ever be easy?! now i have to rip out the headlining on top of all the other work?

About how long does this take? and where are the drains in the trunk anyway?

Now i have to figure out how to stop water damage till i can get to it :eek:

EDIT: Actualy i was thinking...C/O might blow the line causing more damage but what about one of those bottles of "keyboard dusting air"?

It seems like this might work as it is positive pressure but not enough to do damage as the nozzle wouldn't block the extra air from blowing a line...
just a thought.....
The drains in the trunk are on each side kind of in the corners...if you simply pull back the trunk carpeting you should be able to see them, but to actually get good access to them you'll probably need to remove a screw or two by the speaker grilles.

Blowing air through the lines would only help if they were clogged...this is rarely the case, usually the drain lines are merely not plugged in well to their sockets, and this will only loosen them further.

What specific area of your car is wet in? Because removing the headliner is quite a long process--could easily take a few hours.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Well i am not afraid of work so a couple hours is fine (as long as the weather gets better)

It leaks near the rear left hand grabber thing on the top of the door.
the whole headliner right there is soaked and drips down to the rear seat.
So i might have to remove it.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Well finaly the rain stoped! Yay!

Ok, so i checked the damage out and its not to bad. everything dried up pretty nice...until i checked the trunk :evil:

So it is leaking in two places now...

Guys i really need to know is there a map for drain piping in the haynes book? and if not where can i get one?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hmm...

KSpark said:
...I fixed the sunroof drain tubes in the trunk, and I WAS THE MAN.
Could this be the reason my trunk is damp after it rains? It's only damp on the right just behind the tire well, but I can't find any leaks. Where are those drain tubes, and how do I clean them if they're blocked? Where does it actually drain to?

If you have any pics or links to instructions, that would be great!:cheesy:

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well finaly the rain stoped! Yay!

Ok, so i checked the damage out and its not to bad. everything dried up pretty nice...until i checked the trunk :evil:

So it is leaking in two places now...

Guys i really need to know is there a map for drain piping in the haynes book? and if not where can i get one?

There's a rough outline of about where the tubes are...there's another connection where the green line starts, and that is what is causing your leak in the headliner.

There's a picture of about where the trunk drains are...they're really actually pretty easy to get to (sorry I didn't pull it back to show the actual tubes, but I didn't have a screwdriver and it just started raining). To clear those just take them out, and use a stiff wire and poke any crud that's stuck in the tubing between the trunk and exit hole that goes to the ground. Then firmly reseat the tube (if it's really loose then consider taping it into place, that's what I did).

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Thanks very much Kspark! i found the route for the front drains myself but was afraid of looking for the back ones at the risk of more water leakage.

Theoneandonlyjh - yeah that is what is probably wrong. read threw the thread and good luck.

P.S - your not the only JH. im Jeff Harris ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts