SaabCentral Forums banner

"Yes my fuel pump died and stranded me, and I drive a .........

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
No vote, as usual
Lets try to achieve something positive.
An electronic motor monitor which measures the necessary voltage to start the motor and the voltage to run the motor.
After this surpasses a set threshold, then a notification is shown on the SID, "re-new your FP motor", words to that effect.
Is this possible?
I would think so.
Does GM listen?
No
Does Saab?
?
Had to love the '66 Chevrolet's version of a "notification" that its FP was failing.
Or a Ford Model A's signal of a FP conking out.
And I wonder that design the '10 Saab uses...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Mine quit in the laneway,Just lucky.I thought it was going .It used to have to roll over alot to fire up,Wasn't holding pressure.After replacement fired up way quicker.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Mine died in my school parking lot, on a cold night...but alas, I drive a 1998.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mine died 40 miles from home. Had it towed home. Replace it with a bone yard unit. Died again 15 miles from home, my wife picked me up, went to the bone yard, grabbed a new unit from a 9000, replaced it on the side on the off ramp. I already had a hole in the floor;). Been good ever since. knock wood.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Never stranded me but I did replace it for preventative maintenance. :D
Is this are only solution?
And when, at 100K?
Or 150K?
Should I do the Honda as well(175K)?
Few will have the luxury of a driveway breakdown, as many of us have:cheesy:.
My FP seems to be so powerful that after I finally changed the filter and drained all of 0.15 liter from the lines, the subsequent start-up was the normal 2 -3 seconds...she did not miss a beat.:cheesy:

·
Registered
765 Posts
I figure using empirical data we can figure out if it is a systemic issue with bad run of defective pumps, or Saab put the wrong pump in for the job.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Also, how much fuel was in the tank when the FP died.

Theory - Fuel in the tank helps keep the FP cooler so it lasts longer.

I noticed most failures (on the forums) occur with 1/4 tank or less.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
When you replace your fuel pump do you clean the pre filter??? If not the fuel flow will be constricted and the fuel pump will overheat and die prematurely.
Make sure you buy a good quality insert, apparently there are crappy ones out there that don't last too long.
Good luck :cheesy:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Died on a country road about 1000 miles from home, 153K. Repaired locally by great independent mechanic, for good price. Grateful to family for helping me out with the logistics and the $$ for travel, hotel and expenses - more than the cost of the repair. Whew!

·
Registered
866 Posts
My fuel pump died and stranded me in my 1996 900SE turbo. Few years back, late at night on a drive from LI to Lancaster, PA.

Penn Turnpike, plenty of cars around, moving along in the left lane. Car died and the C.E.L. started flashing at me... It was very unpleasant. haha

AAA sent a flatbed out and I got a ride for about 90 miles to a Saab/Cadillac dealer in Lancaster. Met my [ex]girlfriend there and went back to her school in the middle of the night.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts