SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone replaced there stock halogen fog lights with yellow ones? if so, where did u purchase the bulbs?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts

I had them on my previous Aero. They were not as bright and yellow as I had hoped but looked pretty sharp. I bought them on Ebay. Avoid EuroDezigns as they last about a day.

There is also a guy on ebay selling a film that goes on the foglight like window tint...spray, squeegie, etc. I'm not sure how that would look but the random pics they have look pretty good.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
You can also buy a yellow paint that you apply on the inside of the lens. The more coats you use the darker the yellow appears. Best bit is you can clean it off with meths if you don't like the appearance. :cheesy:

·
Registered
431 Posts
I dont know about now, but i think yellow lights used to be common in france, so maybe suppliers there ?

I tried the yellow paint on stuff about 13 years ago:) and it was actually reasonably effective but with a loss of intensity and the paint came off through time and had to be retreated. But im sure technology has improved in 13 years with regard to loss of intensity . The yellow foglight glass can look quite nice on certain car models
It would be better to get the yellow bulbs for performance

Is it not true that yellow light penetrates the fog and heavy snow more efficiently !
I think to do with the reflective factors and our eyesight.
Its also supposed to be less stressful to other drivers but off course it is much less efficient light output.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Either of those bulbs will fit although I can't say what the longevity will be like. It's kinda hit and miss with these mass produced cheap bulbs. If you buy a set and one goes out right away, don't buy that brand again. The second set of bulbs has a higher wattage and I'm not sure how the wiring will feel about that.

The wheels are SSR GT1 18x7.5. They don't cut them in the Saab bolt pattern anymore. :cry: They are forged and weigh 17lbs. :cheesy: I sold that car but kept the wheels for the newer 9-5 I now have.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the help. i really like that style of wheel. it looks great on a 9-5. one more question, is that the stock aero suspension?

·
Registered
431 Posts
uncc 9-5 said:
Would these work?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36476&item=7985564916&rd=1

or these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36476&item=7985336678&rd=1

One more question, where can i pick up some paint that i could apply to the inside of the lens?

xaam, sweet ride ;) what kind of wheels are those?

The second type are 100w which is about 8 amps current.
Just check the fuse size for your foglights, if theres a fuse for each individual foglight, then as long as the fuse is rated larger than 8 amps then you can use these bulbs:)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
uncc 9-5 said:
thanks for the help. i really like that style of wheel. it looks great on a 9-5. one more question, is that the stock aero suspension?
Yeah that is the stock Aero suspension on that car. Thanks for the compliments. I think they totally transform the look of the car.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thedriver said:
The second type are 100w which is about 8 amps current.
Just check the fuse size for your foglights, if theres a fuse for each individual foglight, then as long as the fuse is rated larger than 8 amps then you can use these bulbs:)
There is one 15 Amp fuse for both lights. The factory bulbs are 55w. They are H1's.

The fuse probably won't accept 100w bulbs but you can always try....just don't put a fuse bigger than 15A in the car.

If you want a more powerful bulb, you can always safely use a relay and still retain the factory fog light switch.

·
Registered
431 Posts
s900snt said:
There is one 15 Amp fuse for both lights. The factory bulbs are 55w. They are H1's.

The fuse probably won't accept 100w bulbs but you can always try....just don't put a fuse bigger than 15A in the car.

If you want a more powerful bulb, you can always safely use a relay and still retain the factory fog light switch.
mmmm if its a 15amp fuse for both lights, then you would be running right on the limit !
But thats what limits are for:D
Those type of fuses often have a 1.2 factor so the fuse probably would not blow until a steady 18 amps was applied but it also depends on ambient temps.
Personally , i would try them out, and if they blew the fuse, then you can quite easily add a relay into the circuit for them.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thedriver said:
mmmm if its a 15amp fuse for both lights, then you would be running right on the limit !
But thats what limits are for:D
Those type of fuses often have a 1.2 factor so the fuse probably would not blow until a steady 18 amps was applied but it also depends on ambient temps.
Personally , i would try them out, and if they blew the fuse, then you can quite easily add a relay into the circuit for them.
I agree, it doesn't hurt to try

1 - 12 of 12 Posts