SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
turns out it's a mitsu unit though :roll: but for $100 and good shape, i aint whining... isnt the mitsu the one that spools up quicker but has less top end?

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
mikewitdaspike said:
turns out it's a mitsu unit though :roll: but for $100 and good shape, i aint whining... isnt the mitsu the one that spools up quicker but has less top end?
Your right on both counts, its spool quicker than the Garrett and is slicker but won't give big red boost to the end of the red line in my experiance.

I could be wrong as I have only ever had two of them and both were acient, maybe a good condition would do better, good find anyway you slice it.;)

The water plumbing is not as terrible as I thought, I think Iron Joe did the plumbing with parts from home depo for maybe a few bucks.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the water plumbing isn't 100% necessary is it? :confused: that would make this job a lot less fun :( my mechanic told me i'd be fine if i just use the oil lines

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
mikewitdaspike said:
the water plumbing isn't 100% necessary is it? :confused: that would make this job a lot less fun :( my mechanic told me i'd be fine if i just use the oil lines

if your mechanic told you that, its time you tell him something yourself.... not plumbing a water cooled unit with water is just stupidity

G

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
You can run it without water cooling, but the life will be like that of an oil only cooled turbo.
Is it ball bearing or at least a 360 thrust bearing?
BTW, I think the "Disco Potato" is a Mitsu unit and it certainly doesn't lose it's top end in the 900.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
scubasaab said:
BTW, I think the "Disco Potato" is a Mitsu unit and it certainly doesn't lose it's top end in the 900.
Disco potato is a garrett, one of the GT28 ones I think.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
scubasaab said:
You can run it without water cooling, but the life will be like that of an oil only cooled turbo.
like my old one? that lasted 20 years? :lol: but seriously, as long as i let it warm up and cool down like an oil cooled, i should be fine eh?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
So I have been told Mike!
The ball bearing turbos supposedly NEED the water as well though, so I guess it's good you didn't get a GT:cheesy:

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
haha, this is just a temp while i save up for a new garrett ;)

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
ShadowWorks said:
Your right on both counts, its spool quicker than the Garrett and is slicker but won't give big red boost to the end of the red line in my experiance.
The Mitsu in mine's happy to a little past half-way round the red on the boost gauge - but there's very little incentive to go past 4k rpm. That's fine by me.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
not plumbing the watercooling in would be the most halfassed and lazy install ever...now you arent that lazy mike...are you?

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
I wonder if there's some small power gains to be had from the increased efficiency of the cooler turbo - coolant through turbo=slightly cooler turbo while spooled=slighly cooler charge air :cool:

Mike, I'd plumb in those coolant lines, that way you'll have everything ready to go when you put in the new turbo in the future.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
a hotter turbo means hotter air going into the engine (however negligible) and a hotter engine bay in general. GOYA and do it right!! :lol:

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i don't have the stuff to put the water cooling in :cry: i can put it in later, right? :lol:

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i can't get to home depot or lowes :lol: Uma's down right now, and the other cars are gone

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
any friends to give you a ride? it is something you might as well do when everything is off. and it really will cost less than 10$

1 - 20 of 32 Posts