SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, this one had me puzzled... when i start it up, the engine is fine, no weird noises, purrs like a kitten, but a lot of the time (not always) when it's good and warm, there will be a squeaking from the belt area, like a *r r r r r r r r r* kinda thing (if you can picture what i mean), it's just like... like a turkey call! :lol: *chirp chirp chirp chirp chirp* on and on and on... someone said it might be my water pump? i have no idea when/if it's been changed, what do y'all think?

P.S. oh yes, I'VE HOOKED MY WASTEGATE BACK UP, AND IT'S GONNA STAY LIKE THAT... i think... it's soooo sloooowwww :cry: but for $20 a day in gas, i can't afford to be running 15psi of boost

·
Registered
73 Posts
i had a similar noise a couple of months ago, took it to my saab guy and it was a simple case of the distributor belt missing. mine was more a screeching sound though. easy to tell, when on the left hand side of the car looking in the engine bay, right up near the firewall in the middle their should be a main belt on top then if you look a bit lower there will be two belts, if theres only one thats your problem, otherwise i have no idea.

goodluck

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
mikewitdaspike said:
ok, this one had me puzzled... when i start it up, the engine is fine, no weird noises, purrs like a kitten, but a lot of the time (not always) when it's good and warm, there will be a squeaking from the belt area, like a *r r r r r r r r r* kinda thing (if you can picture what i mean), it's just like... like a turkey call! :lol: *chirp chirp chirp chirp chirp* on and on and on... someone said it might be my water pump? i have no idea when/if it's been changed, what do y'all think?
I think you need to change the belts.

P.S. oh yes, I'VE HOOKED MY WASTEGATE BACK UP, AND IT'S GONNA STAY LIKE THAT... i think... it's soooo sloooowwww
Yes, well, we've been over this umpteen times, Mike. Your Car Has Something Wrong With It to be that damn slow. Either that or you're exaggerating more than slightly. Nobody else's car needs to be put into self-destruct mode in order to get out of it's own way.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
TooMany2cvs said:
I think you need to change the belts.

Yes, well, we've been over this umpteen times, Mike. Your Car Has Something Wrong With It to be that damn slow. Either that or you're exaggerating more than slightly. Nobody else's car needs to be put into self-destruct mode in order to get out of it's own way.
but the belts are less than 4 months old :confused: and i hope nothing too bad is wrong with it, i can't imagine what would :x

EDIT: it's marginally better with this cold weather though, i might even be able to keep up with a civic wagon now!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TooMany2cvs said:
They're probably not tensioned properly, then.
oh... they do that after they're warmed up? i always thought improperly tensioned ones made noise when they're cold :confused: learn something new every day! :lol: i'll check on that

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
mikewitdaspike said:
oh... they do that after they're warmed up? i always thought improperly tensioned ones made noise when they're cold
Ah, I must have missed/forgotten that bit - yes, they are normally noisier when cold and damp. <shrug>

The other likely's a bearing going south.

I was just thinking of the easy routine-maintenance causes... Can't think why... <grin>

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TooMany2cvs said:
Ah, I must have missed/forgotten that bit - yes, they are normally noisier when cold and damp. <shrug>

The other likely's a bearing going south.

I was just thinking of the easy routine-maintenance causes... Can't think why... <grin>
:lol: point taken :cheesy: i'll check em though... which bearing do you think it would be? the only one i can think it would be would be the alternator maybe?

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
mikewitdaspike said:
which bearing do you think it would be?
Dunno. Probably the one that the noise is coming from... You should be able to narrow it down to at least a rough direction if you can get your head in there whilst the engine's running and it's squeeking.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
mike have you replaced yer alternator bushings yet? when they go the alt can go out of alignment and make noise.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:lol: well CV, you were right the first time... apparently my alternator/water pump belts were loose... i didn't think they were, they didn't feel like they had much slack in em :confused: but sure enough, my mechanic could rotate the alternator by hand with the belts the way they were

1 - 11 of 11 Posts