SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my Y pipe of the manifolds on my 87 900S destroyed one of the flanges that bolts it to the manifold so my car is louder than normal and unfortunaly lets in alot of air right in front of the O2 sensor so my car runs very rich (tailpipe turns black in about a week and a half)
anyway Im told that the only way to fix this is to get a new Y pipe.sense I have to spend money anyway I thought I might as well make my car perform better so I plan to remake the Y pipe(and then the rest of my patched exhaust system) the thing that has me is what diameter tubing should I make the tubes coming of the manifold?stock they are 1 3/4(so my muffler shop says) im planning on making a custom 2.5" system all the way back,so what diameter should I make those pipes?Im thinking either 2" or 2 1/4"...I dunno last thing I want to do is kill my lowend torque and have to run a restricive muffler to compensate for that...any help would be appricated.

btw my Y pipe under the car has been bashed in about 1/2 " so I really want to replace it...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Must have some great Chevy V8 in there?!!! If you are planning a 2.5" system, I would go for that as a diameter ;) .

Edit:
Just seen a under hood piccy of a N/A 900 and looks like manifold may indeed run to two pipes! There I was thinking you were creating a monster... Ahhh Egor!

·
Registered
510 Posts
you are talking about the pipe directly off your n/a manifold right? I bet with that wide of piping it would sound awesome. But if performance is your goal, I think that 2.5" would be a little bit too big on an n/a.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what about 2 1/4? all the way back and 2" pipes from the manifold?

I was thinking 2.5 so it has a nice growl(with stock style muffler)

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have a 1991 900S with the B212 2.1L

I'm trying to figure out, for you, if the Y and downpipe of the 2.0 and the 2.1 are the same.

The 2.1 Factory down pipe is very large and IMHO the best size for my motor.
I think the 2.0 may have smaller pipe. If this is the case, why not see about fitting the 2.1 downpipe to your 87?

Above: 2.1L Y and pipe. http://www.eeuroparts.com/(zwiyx345jnm1dgakg2amfgyk)/productdetail.aspx?searchResults=1&code=6368

Above: 2.0L Y and pipe http://www.eeuroparts.com/(zwiyx345jnm1dgakg2amfgyk)/productdetail.aspx?searchResults=1&code=6368

I belive these two sections of pipe are interchangeable. Also note the difference in length of the tubes before the Y section. Switching to the 2.1L set up will no doubt made a huge impact in the behavior of your engine, what exactly this change will be, I can not predict.

Plus, you're going to be getting the 4 bolt flange on the back end of the 2.1 Pipe and will be able to run a turbo exhaust system the rest of the way back.

This is my suggestion to you.
Verify the compatability of the 2.1 downpipe
Buy a factory turbo exhaust
report back the effects.

Parts I suspect you would need:
http://www.eeuroparts.com/(zwiyx345jnm1dgakg2amfgyk)/productdetail.aspx?searchResults=1&code=5903
Turbo cat back

http://www.eeuroparts.com/(zwiyx345jnm1dgakg2amfgyk)/productdetail.aspx?searchResults=1&code=6344
Turbo intermediate pipe

Cat
http://www.eeuroparts.com/(zwiyx345jnm1dgakg2amfgyk)/productdetail.aspx?searchResults=1&code=5557

My idea looks to be in the area of $400 :roll:

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
The 8v and 16v heads are not the same, not inlet- neither exhaust-manifold from a 16v on an 8v...

Daniel.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the stock turbo exhaust system is 2"...

im running all of this through the muffler thats there,unless I need it louder...with a 2.5 all the way back will the car seem more responsive?

edit:the exhaust shop told me my exhaust is 1 7/8 out the manifold and then steps down to 1 5/8...I'll just run 2" back to the Y.. and see if I like the improvement,then I'll make system back...

btw I Have a straight pipe for the cat so..

·
Registered
219 Posts
Saab-Daniel said:
The 8v and 16v heads are not the same, not inlet- neither exhaust-manifold from a 16v on an 8v...

Daniel.

;oops:

Is the 87 S an 8-Valve?
oops...I guess everything I thought up is useless.

I assumed the n/a 16 and the T16 went into service at the same time.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I dont know where 8 valve came into the story at all?:confused: all saabs after 85 were 16 valvers....also im guessing that the stock manifold and y pipe combo is a rudementary 4-2-1 header...thus reducing y pipe lenth would bring power up in the rev band...I like it low to mid...

as soon as I find out about shipping I will look into 3 mandrel bent U or J tubes in 2" and 3 more in 2.5" I'll feed it into the stock muffler and see how that sounds and how it feels.How much of a gain does a complete exhaust system have on a four banger with an exhaust with 4 patches and 2 dented in areas...?

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Sorry, my mistake. I thought I remembered gearheads car as beeing an 8v... Please take no note of my post :)
Daniel.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Look at my signature, "T8-power all the way", so ues, it's an 8v :)
Daniel.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know you have a t8...WE IS the even...

ok,now then...anyone have any suggestions?any issues that should be addressed?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts