SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm in need of replacing a bad rear shock (yes the expensive ones). Was able to find for just over $200 from local parts retailer and am sure even cheaper online some place? However, I've also been interested in stiffening up the suspension and dropping it a bit. Seams like there is mixed feeling about the Map Tune coilovers. Any XWD drivers running lowering springs with the OEM shocks? Seams like options where limited a year or two ago, but I'm sure other XWD drivers are coming to this same service and want options. Maybe ill just get the cheap OEM shock and some fresh wheels!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Are the $200 shocks self-leveling? Unless there's been a new development, the only correct XWD rear shock is the factory self-leveling one. They used to be $500+ a few years ago.

I believe there's someone selling a set of XWD lowering springs in the classifieds.

I've always through that the suspension on my Turbo X was too stiff, especially when driven over bad urban roads that we have around here. One reason people went for the coilovers was to get a less punishing ride.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Chatty,

No the Bilsteins are not self leveling, but listed as fitting the XWD. Not to sure those set ups affect the XWD system at all, but that is what makes me think I'll go Maptune. Any idea where to order them from stateside?!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
The cheapest I found when I ordered my Maptun coilovers was from RBM Performance in France.

If you can live with your XWD being lowered, I think you should give the Speedparts H&R springs/Bilstein rear shocks setup a try.

·
Registered
12 Posts
not clear on spring/shock replacement for xwd

I have read through most/all the postings on options for replacing the nivomats on xwd cars. I am not clear on weather or not I can just install FWD rear springs, spring support and bump-stops and shocks. The parts (minus the shocks) are about $85 per side, so with shocks, it would be ~ $185 per side to convert. BUT, the XWD springs re longer than FWD (from what I have read), and what I can't figure out is if that length difference is adjusted by the spring support (easy) or lower control arm (hard). Has ANYONE converted over using FWD parts instead of coilovers?

tnx

Dave

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
People who've tried have said that FWD rear springs are larger in diameter and will not clear the drive shaft. So one need to find a strong, XWD-diameter spring to compensate for the loss of support from using non-self leveling shocks. Some people have suggested installed a spring perch converter to a more popular diameter, then try to find an available spring to use for our application.

Speedparts sells a Bilstein rear shock/lower spring kit for the XWD, but someone recently posted that this setup on his car lowers the rear too much.

·
Registered
12 Posts
custom springs

I looked into getting springs custom wound. I would send one spring and the remaining good Nivotmat. They would measure the spring rate of both, and then wind an appropriate set. The cost would be about $280. Less if I ordered more. I am considering it, since I do not want to lower the car....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts