SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where have people been locating sat. radio antennas and running the wires?

Is there room under the center speaker grill or elsewhere on the dash where it could get a good signal?

The other thought was under the rear parcel tray. I thought in either one of the unused speaker spots or under the slotted vent like area (anybody know how to remove this or get access to the area). And if anybody has done this where do you run the wire to the center console?

Thank you for any help (or direction to where this info already exists on this site.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I know there's another thread on this, as I've posted to it, but search isn't finding it for me.

It works fairly well to place the antenna under the parcel shelf, adhered to the steel panel undeneath. You want it maybe 6 inches from the bottom of the rear window. To remove the shelf, lower the rear seat. There are plastic buttons which release when you push in their centers, then they just pull out. I didn't fully remove the shelf, just raised it enough to place the antenna.

My routing right now is rudimentary, leading to the armrest bin which is where I have the Roady 2.

The parcel shelf placement works surprisingly well unless you are driving on a narrow, tree-lined road, or perhaps due south. Sometimes. The further south you are, the better it would work.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had nothing better to do last weekend and installed it in the sharkfin (my sharkfin was empty). I'll post pics later. It used to be under the rear parcel shelf, and I notice a slight improvement now that it is in the sharkfin, but probably not worth the trouble.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I mounted my antenna on the front edge of the deck lid. The wires are crudely routed under the package shelf and rear floor mats. There is enough give in the trunk gasket that I don't have leaks. It may be crude but the results are smooth.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Directly in front of the passenger dash speaker--works fine.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I use the home kit's larger antenna (better receiption?). It sits just right in front of the center LATCH cover. The wire is routed down the hole and routed along the driverside floor then in front of the seat to the vent mount XM Roady2.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have posted this thought a couple of times, but so far I don't believe anyone has taken me up on it. If you are also doing the speaker upgrade in the front dash (highly recommended) there is room for the antenna under the speaker griill. The speaker upgrade replaces the two separate speakers with a coaxial unit, leaving available the spot where the tweeter was. This makes so much sense to me because it gives a completely hidden install without the hassle of routing wires from the back of the car. You could go all the way and add a GPS antenna under one grill and satellite radio under the other!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I actually have the my Sirius antenna routed through the center console, then under the trim around the passenger footwell, along the passenger side, through the backseat, and up through the center child seat anchor. I got some velcro and stuck it up there and to the back of the antenna. I have full signal almost anywhere I've gone so far, and you hardly see more than 10-12 inches of wire for the whole install.

IQS

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
The dealer installed my buddy's on his roof. The magnetic antenna is mounted directly behind the sharkfin and immediately above the rear window. The wire runs underneath the window seal and then inside where it runs under the rear window trim. It's a pretty neat installation - only about 1/4" of the wire is seen.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I put my XM ant between the rear seat headrest. It's plastic there but underneath is some metal as the magnet does grab something. So far even with the top up, it does seem to work the same as when the top is down.

I ran the wire there between the rear seat side and ran in under the seat to the XM unit. I'll take some pics this weekend. I got an 04 Vert.

Cheers,
Con

gambit526 said:
Has any one installed it in a convertible, and if so where did you put the antenna? Also what is better XM or Sirius?

·
Registered
437 Posts
gambit526 said:
Has any one installed it in a convertible, and if so where did you put the antenna? Also what is better XM or Sirius?
My antenna is on the rear deck., but somewhere in the front dash should be good as well.

to answer your second question.

I have Sirius and rarely lose the signal. the programming is better than XM, and I can listen on any computer (with speakers) with the login and password that sirius provides any subscriber. I think XM has recently added that as a feature.

from 3 friends that have XM and 1 that has both, they all think that the sirius signal is better and that the programming is better.

I can't even listen to the radio in my Wife's car anymore, and have to get sirius installed in it SOON. spoiled we become!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I decided to try the "Home Kit" antenna for my Roady2 install. After disassembling the swivel base so that I had just the antenna, I placed it under the rear parcel shelf across one of the large openings through which the seatback release cables pass. The antenna spans this opening ok, but could fall in if dislodged, so I taped it in place with clear packaging tape. I then ran the wire (which is considerably thicker than that from the Roady's stock antenna) tucked under the seat trim to the center console where I have the Roady2.

I then drove around some areas where I have had dropouts. It was definitely better - in some places I used to consistently lose signal it stays locked, in others I get less of a loss. The primary problem I have is when I am on local roads with tall, dense trees to the south. I don't think even an external antenna would help that.

Overall, I'm happy with the improvement.

Regarding XM and listening with a PC - yes, XM has that feature at no extra charge.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Due to another thread I saw and the Tbully placement of the antenna. I have moved my placement from sitting on top of the parcel shelf to under and in the vent.

you do not have to remove the parcel shelf as suggested by SBL.
just lower the seat
run the wire under the seat
reach in the 4-6 inch square cut-out in the metal panel, and place the antenna on the felt decorative covering of the metal panel and directly under the vent grill.
you can see it if you look hard, but it is not noiceable, and there are ZERO inches of wire showing.
No signal loss

Thanks guys - this is fantastic:lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts