SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a little project this afternoon, I took off the sharkfin and opened it up. I also opened up my XM miniantenna.

Lo and behold, once removed from the plastic shell, the miniantenna fits perfectly in a slot inside the sharfin. It was MADE for the XM antenna.

Unfortunately, the connector from the antenna cable to the radio is too big to fit through the hollow post that goes through the roof. The only way to get the cable through is to cut and splice it. That's not the easiest thing to do with such a thin coax as the XM antenna cable.

DAMN! So close and yet so far!

Anyway, removing the sharfin and opening it up was 2 out of 10 difficulty. Anyone who is comfortable splicing an XM cable should TOTALLY be able to do this.

Uh, and if you're comfortable doing the splice and you're in the Chicago area, let me know. I wouldn't mind having someone do this for me.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Did your sharkfin have a couple of wires running into it? I pulled away the headliner on mine a while ago (2006 9-3SC) with the same thought as you; putting my XM antenna inside of it. I was guessing that it probably wouldn't fit so I never bothered to remove it and try. I'm still wondering what the wires go to.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No wires in mine. It is the "dummy sharkfin".

If you have wires, you have the TEL1 option. Your car is bluetooth ready.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Krieg said:

Can I ask a dumb question? Can Bluetooth be added to any 07? Or do you need the premium audio package? If not, what would you need to do it?

·
Registered
759 Posts
You can add it to any 2007. You need the bluetooth kit from Saab. Unfortunately you have to install an UGLY bluetooth keypad on the dash, however. Saab/GM was too lazy/cheap to design a nice integrated keypad for the bluetooth kit, so we're stuck with a stock keypad that you have to glue to the dash somewhere. :roll:

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it's 9:30 and I'm finally done. This was an EASY project, I just made a couple of small mistakes that took time.

And I had to do the splice the antenna cable. Not the hardest thing I ever did. Search XM411.com for how to do it. I didn't solder it, and I used electrical tape, not heat shrink. Maybe this will give me trouble in the future. Well see.

Anyway, despite the splice, it WORKS. XM antenna totally in the sharkfin!

Not bad for a spur of the moment Saturday afternoon project. I'm going to have a beer.

·
Registered
409 Posts
How did you route the antenna wire down from the roof of the car to "the basement"? I haven't explored much up there but I'm looking for a wiring "tunnel" to use.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Nickshu said:
You can add it to any 2007. You need the bluetooth kit from Saab. Unfortunately you have to install an UGLY bluetooth keypad on the dash, however. Saab/GM was too lazy/cheap to design a nice integrated keypad for the bluetooth kit, so we're stuck with a stock keypad that you have to glue to the dash somewhere. :roll:
Thanks...I Just found the part on their site...isn't that just a Parrot kit? I thought it would integrate with the phone buttons on the steering wheel???

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's no "tunnel. I ran the wire across the rear headliner above the rear window over to the left rear door weatherstriping. I ran it under the weatherstriping to the floor. I ran it under the B pillar plastic at the floor over to the left front door weatherstriping. From there I ran it over to the front dash.

The wire is VERY thin. It's not hard to find a place to hide it. It totally fits behind the weatherstriping.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On the morning drive, the first time I've really tested the XM antenna in the sharkfin, reception was flawless. It may have been a little better that just the magnetic miniantenna on my trunk.

So much for the idea that the cable can't be spliced. I did quite a half-assed job on the splice, and it still works great!

Everyone should do this hack! It's just INSANITY that the sharfin is just sitting there, waiting to be utilized.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Krieg said:
On the morning drive, the first time I've really tested the XM antenna in the sharkfin, reception was flawless. It may have been a little better that just the magnetic miniantenna on my trunk.

So much for the idea that the cable can't be spliced. I did quite a half-assed job on the splice, and it still works great!

Everyone should do this hack! It's just INSANITY that the sharfin is just sitting there, waiting to be utilized.
The signal is digital, so in theory you'll either get reception or you won't, there shouldn't be any in-between. You may notice decreased signal strength, but if you're getting any signal across the wire you should get full clarity.

In any case, when you're saying "sharkfin", which antenna are you referring to? I've noticed that 07s have 2 different styles-one that's kind of flat with a pencil-thin piece sticking up, and another where it's more rounded.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hard to say what's going on with signal strength. All I have to work with is the meter on the unit. It had 3 bars before, it has 3 bars now.

Only anecdote that I have is that I got 3 bars sitting in my garage. Never had any reception there before! Maybe it was a fluke.

There are really two fins for '07? I think that I have the fatter antenna. Not pencil like at all. When they call it a sharkfin, they mean sharkfin!

No, it's the same as the "Dummy" Sharkfin at elkparts.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, the dummy sharkfin at elk parts.

For some reason "elkparts" was censored from my last post.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Krieg said:

I can't see why I would have the TEL1 option. I bought the car new, just a 2.0T SC with cold-weather and premium packages, moonroof, and roof rails. I pulled my sharkfin off tonight, as I'd really like to put my XM antenna inside. There are two wires coming out of the fin, both with single pin connectors. One is not connected to anything, and the other connects to a lead that appears to run down the "D" pillar. There was no OnStar available in '06 AFAIK. Any other thoughts on what this is? Also, does the underside of the dummy sharkfin look like mine, or is it open on the bottom?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That is EXACTLY what my sharkfin looks like, without the wires.

There are three screws holding the cast aluminum base to the plastic shell of the sharkfin. Just go ahead and unscrew them and see what is inside.

I am almost positive that you have a GSM/ GPS antenna in there. You have TEL1, undoubtedly.

If you don't intend to use TEL1 or Nav, just go ahead and remove the antenna. I'm willing to bet that it's just siliconed in there. Then you can pop the XM antenna in there and you're good to go.

Leave the old antenna in your headliner! You never know when you might need it again. I'd even leave it plugged in!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts