SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having the "Right dipped beam failure" problem. When I turn on the ignition but do not start the engine both headlights are turned on. Once the system check is done, I start the engine, both lights are turned off for a second or two and only the left one comes on. The right headlight stays off. The error message appears on the display.

I took the car to a mechanic, and he removed and installed the bulb again. But the problem is not fixed. He thinks that the igniter may need to be changed or the bulb, but he cannot explain why it does work when the ignition turned on with the engine off. Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I am having the "Right dipped beam failure" problem. When I turn on the ignition but do not start the engine both headlights are turned on. Once the system check is done, I start the engine, both lights are turned off for a second or two and only the left one comes on. The right headlight stays off. The error message appears on the display.

I took the car to a mechanic, and he removed and installed the bulb again. But the problem is not fixed. He thinks that the igniter may need to be changed or the bulb, but he cannot explain why it does work when the ignition turned on with the engine off. Any suggestions? Thanks.
This is a common problem, either the plastic clips that allow the lamp housing to move are broken and you will need to replace the entire headlamp housing, or it is the module locate on the bottom of the assembly. Try to switch the module from your left to see if that is the problem, if it is you can consider yourself lucky! The headlamp assembly is expensive....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More info

This is a common problem, either the plastic clips that allow the lamp housing to move are broken and you will need to replace the entire headlamp housing, or it is the module locate on the bottom of the assembly. Try to switch the module from your left to see if that is the problem, if it is you can consider yourself lucky! The headlamp assembly is expensive....
Thanks for the response.

If I do not wait for the system checking and start the engine at once, the lights work fine, both of them. I just don't know if this kind of starting is good for the car. Given this additional info, which one is more likely? Could it be just the light bulb that cannot start again once it is warm?

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
I'm confused, the op said "dipped beam failure" not "auto levelling malfunction" so I'm not sure he has factory xenon or aftermarket. I'm betting aftermarket, mine did the same thing till i had setting changed to xenon with TechII.
@OP--put the key to on & wait like 15-20 seconds, then start car. Do they stay on? And u don't have to wait for the systems check to start the car, just turn it right on. The car will finish the checks when it is running. U don't turn to on and wait, u just go right to start.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm confused, the op said "dipped beam failure" not "auto levelling malfunction" so I'm not sure he has factory xenon or aftermarket. I'm betting aftermarket, mine did the same thing till i had setting changed to xenon with TechII.
@OP--put the key to on & wait like 15-20 seconds, then start car. Do they stay on? And u don't have to wait for the systems check to start the car, just turn it right on. The car will finish the checks when it is running. U don't turn to on and wait, u just go right to start.
Ok, I guess there is no engine block heater on this car as it is not diesel so I don't have to wait. The manual does not mention it either.

I bought the car two weeks ago and it did work fine for twelve days. I did not play with the setting, it just stopped working. Moreover, I believe the car has factory xenon because a few seconds after the engine is started the headlights go up and down. On another car, I have aftermarket xenon and it does not move like this.

I usually put the key to on and wait until the display completes checking, which takes about five seconds. When I start, I guess to decrease the load on the alternator??, the lights go off for a second. The right one does not come back on. I will try the 20secs, too.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Mine did the same thing. I replaced the bulb, problem solved.
I have a feeling that when the Xenon bulbs go they draw more current. This is detected and then shut down.
I bought two bulbs off ebay for $16 including shipping. Took less than 5 minutes to replace and was about as easy a job as you can get on a 9-3.

The upside is I have more light too.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Mine did the same thing. I replaced the bulb, problem solved.
I have a feeling that when the Xenon bulbs go they draw more current. This is detected and then shut down.
I bought two bulbs off ebay for $16 including shipping. Took less than 5 minutes to replace and was about as easy a job as you can get on a 9-3.

The upside is I have more light too.

Hope this helps.
For now, I am driving with a quick start. If somehow I forget and do a slow start, I get the message. Then, I pull over, stop the car and restart again quickly. Just like computers, my car needs to be restarted in case of any problems :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts