SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently changed my headlights, due to the passenger one starting to flicker, and they were both a pinkish color. Anyway, last night was the first night I needed headlights, and I noticed that the drivers side headlight shines straight out, and there is a tiny portion to the left, but there is a huge section that is not lit up. I honestly do not recall this before changing the headlights is this normal??

·
Registered
08 9-5 Aero
2,297 Posts
I recently changed my headlights, due to the passenger one starting to flicker, and they were both a pinkish color. Anyway, last night was the first night I needed headlights, and I noticed that the drivers side headlight shines straight out, and there is a tiny portion to the left, but there is a huge section that is not lit up. I honestly do not recall this before changing the headlights is this normal??
Are you sure you have the bulb seated properly in the socket?

·
Registered
08 9-5 Aero
2,297 Posts
It seems to be, I will try again tonight, and even switch sides and see if it follows...
Check the bulb while you have them out as well. May be the bulb.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is what it looks like from the drivers side and passenger side. Is it just a light filter or something to prevent blinding oncoming drivers, or should it light all over??

Attachments

·
Registered
869 Posts
This is what it looks like from the drivers side and passenger side. Is it just a light filter or something to prevent blinding oncoming drivers, or should it light all over??
That's definitely not right. I'd check for the bulb not being seated correctly and also check for something in the lens that doesn't belong (bug, leaf, etc.).

·
Registered
08 9-5 Aero
2,297 Posts
What should I look for on the bulb? I am not familiar with Xenon headlights... discoloration?
Well first, make sure you don't or didn't touch the glass. If you did, you need to take a wet wipe to it ( alcohol based)........I can only guess on this- maybe the filament is not true ( straight) inside the bulb. Are your automatic leveling adjustment motors working on the lights? Makes a hum noise then stops when their up... when you turn your key to accessory. The pink color comes from the factory bulbs.....if you go w/another brand they will be more whiteish. Phllips or Sylvania's match to it are what you want.......nothing else. I paid 80.00 for my Sylvanias off Amazon (D1) and have worked great like the factory bulbs did.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They are Phillips brand. The auto leveling works, and I wore rubber gloves while installing. I tried reinstalling it today we will see if it is better tonight.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How far from the wall do you want pictures from? I am going to switch the bulbs today and see if anything changes. I will post pics tonight

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It was not bad, I have smaller hands, so it was not very tight for me. Removed the battery cover, hose for the air intake.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Since the problem did not change sides with the lamp swap, it pretty much narrows the problem to the control module or the lens/bezel. I don't recall ever hearing of a module causing poor lighting. Quick way to tell is to swap the modules(located under the light bucket) . They usually fail resulting in no light, but it's a Saab, so expect the unexpected. Are your lens maybe "sandblasted" from road grim

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The lenses are still like brand new, the car only has 38k miles. Lol I will swap them tomorrow if I get a chance.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well my problem search is over... I got a genius idea to cover the drivers side light and see what just the passenger side looked like... Same problem on the passenger side; so the bulbs are the issue. With the drivers side covered, the passenger side revealed it nearly identical pattern. Now to contact the seller and try to figure out a solution.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts