SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how bad of an idea would this be??? i searched for a while on here about it but came up with nothing exciting. also, what is the temperature of the bi-xenons in the stock 2004 93 aero? i would like to match the fogs if possible. im not concerned about the install, just in if the car would be able to handle four xenon lights running at the same time over a prolonged period of time...

·
Registered
9 Posts
What do you mean handle four xenons?

·
Registered
307 Posts
All Xenons run cooler than Halogens. 35/55 watts.
Unless you opt for the new Gen 3 Xenons, which run at 55 watt and can light up a golf course.:eek:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
It depends on whether you want to use your lights in fog (as they were intended) or just a supplemental light.

If you use them in foggy conditions then Xenon is probably not such a good idea. The whiter/bluer light reflects off the fog and makes it harder to see where you are going. This is why in certain countries fog lamps used to be yellow.

Of course, if it's just blue light colour you are after, then some of the brilliant white type normal incandescent bulbs would be easier than fitting an aftermarket HID kit.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
I presume "NEPA" is northeast PA. If so, you would have to check headlight laws with PennDOT, DMV, or whomever. Most states have specific headlight laws. PA, for example, recently passed the "wipers on/lights on" law as well as a law requiring headlights on while moving through a construction zone. You could also check with a local inspection station about the specifics.

Personally, I bet you can't use xenons for fogs.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
wipers on/lights on is getting to be more common. I think it's rarely enforced, though. It was passed a few years ago in NJ, and the great majority of cars still have their lights off in daytime rain or snow.

Like secondary seatbelt or cellphone laws. Basically useless.

·
Registered
489 Posts
we've been living in NY now for about 6 months and it took awhile to get used to the wiper/light combo.

now it is second nature although I generally just use the fogs vs the xenon headlights - one nice feature of ROW setting.

Jaime

·
Registered
73 Posts
You don't want Xenons on fogs, if...

..the use is trully as fog lights--ie, low visibility or rainy conditions. Yellow-ish light is superior in these conditions. Now, if the main rationale is to make the hue closer to the Xenons mains (ie, a more crisp, white color), there are other options in the market that will get you very close to the look you want such as PIAA Super Whites or Sylvania Silverstar...

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Maliberti said:
All Xenons run cooler than Halogens. 35/55 watts.
Unless you opt for the new Gen 3 Xenons, which run at 55 watt and can light up a golf course.:eek:
Will those 55watt Gen 3 fit our cars? If so, will they blind on coming traffic or they are good?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i was looking to supplement my lighting but also be able to use them in fog or rainy conditions. if a yellower light is better for the fog then why not a lower temperature xenon then? they are yellower than most.

reading about concern with PA laws i doubt ill be able to use them in cities, but where i live, i dont think ill really have to worry too much!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Vector-SS said:
Will those 55watt Gen 3 fit our cars? If so, will they blind on coming traffic or they are good?
The gen 3 will not fit the Saab, unless you get the aftermarket kit.
From my understanding these are used on Jets.
I think they have gen 3 for cars that take 55 watt hids but can't find them now.

If aimed correctly I don't think they will blind, but I could not tell you. I am thinking of getting some for testing.:cheesy:

http://www.xevision.com

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
dimitristx said:
..the use is trully as fog lights--ie, low visibility or rainy conditions. Yellow-ish light is superior in these conditions. Now, if the main rationale is to make the hue closer to the Xenons mains (ie, a more crisp, white color), there are other options in the market that will get you very close to the look you want such as PIAA Super Whites or Sylvania Silverstar...
Just what I said in post #4...

·
Registered
89 Posts
From the view of the fellow car drivers it's a bad idea. Aftermarket xenon in headlights is usually far more blinding than factory xenon, because of the missing auto-levelling, washers and different reflector design.

Xenon in fog lights will be a disaster, as it is impossible to keep them clean due to their low position. Admitted it looks cool having the same light colour I would recommend to use the cool-blue halogens.

·
Registered
473 Posts
i had 8000k in my low beams and 8000k in my fogs, it looked hot heres a pic
sorry for the glare, it was just a quick picture at the beach lol

ps it lit the road, ... perfectly it felt like i was driving during the day, passed several cops going the oposite way with them on, they didnt do anything, i took them out a few days later, cause i kept getting foglight our errors in my SID, and after driving for an hour with them i checked the wiresthat power the fogs and they were kind of hot so i took them out, your best bet is if your going to do that, you the aux light switch under the night panel button needs to be enabled via tech 2, relay is under the hood perfect placement

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Fla Saab Dealer, are those actual xenons in the fogs? Did the ballast fit and all?

I would be careful putting xenons down there. The fog lights tend to get cloudy in these cars. I haven't followed all those threads, but I presume the housings aren't exactly water tight. Someone else can comment on the voltage produced by an HID ballast. I think it may be in the kV range. I would worry about arcing if things got damp/wet.

·
Registered
473 Posts
YES ACTUAL XENONS the one problem i came across was that the way the xenon bulbs are constructed, there are a few problems, one when you insert the bulb into the hole, it wont go in all the way, because the little sheild thing in the fog light is in the way, stick your finger or a small screwdriver in there and bend it slightly. two when you get the bulb in, the part that sticks out the bottom of the fog, sticks out a bit to far to get the cover on, so i left it off, since it wasnt raining and i was just testing for a few days. three i just tucked the ballasts where ever they fit away from anywhere that got wet. they worked fine and im sure i could have gotten the covers on but i just tried it out, bright as heck perfect lighting on the road, i loved it, and plus i took both kits out of my 04 gti, so .. i honestly didnt care if they burned out since before they were in my gti they wer in my 99.5 jetta so, id certainly say i got more than my moneys worth out of them! :lol: ps the ballasts should fit right ontop of the actual fog housings and be perfectly fine, just use some double stick tape to hold them in place!

·
Registered
473 Posts
here is some pictures of my current config.
6000k XENON - low beam
hella blue bulbs - fogs
(note = they arent as blue in real life)

all pictures taken with a sony dsc-h9 no flash or tripod

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
dimitristx said:
That's what I did on my 03'--put the Sylvania Silverstars in a couple of times (the fogs would burn out every 6 months or so).

·
Registered
34 Posts
It seems there is a confusion between "fog lights" and "driving lights". Fog lights are just that...used to enhance visibility in the fog. Typically they are yellow to penetrate the water vapour that creates the fog. Driving lights, on the other hand, are meant to enhance visiblity down the road and off to the sides. They should be aimed slightly outward compared to your headlights and be white light. They assist the headlights in low light conditions. I believe that Saab intended the lights below the bumper to be driving lights. If you drive on a dark strectch of road with only your headlights and switch on "stock" driving lights you will notice they mostly light the area of the ditches and help forward visibility somewhat. I can see where putting higher wattage bulbs would be an asset here but I would worry about the plastic lenses and housings melting from the additional heat. As far as Xenon goes, they actually use less power so it wouldn't make any difference on the wiring aspect of things.
For the record, my car indicates having "driving lights" in the front and a rear "fog" light. Canadian car though so who knows what differences they have.
Mike

1 - 20 of 48 Posts