SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So one of my lights has been flickering and I'm ready to replace but out of curiosity since I'm a hid noob, I'm wondering if I can put 5 or 6k instead of the stock 4300k with no problems? How much of a difference between these if so? 6k bluer? Ricey? Would like to keep a classy look. I've searched and there's a lot of debate but no definitive answer. Also where's the best place to find decent, cost effective bulbs? Not sure how much this is gonna set me back. Thanks for the help...

·
Registered
86 Posts
I definitely could not find them in my local stores. You can go with different bulbs such as 6000k, but the higher the temp rating the less output you will get. I personally stuck with stock, they, I guess, provide the best light output. From what I have seen out of other posts, you can go up to 5100k (?) before you start losing output. But you can get whatever bulb you like.

·
Registered
112 Posts
ive been told that the higher the kelvin is the higher the bulbs burn producing more output, but also when things burn hotter, the color deepens just like fire, an average fire is orangey but a welder's flame is blue, same idea. but ive also heard that since the higher the bulb is burning the deeper the light gets producing a darker hugh and therefore counteracting the extra output and making it a very dark casted light. ive replaced my bulbs with osram cool blue intense xenarc. they are by far the brightest hids you could possibly get and are rated at 5000k which is right at the cutoff before the light starts to darken. they are a bit pricey but if u have autozone or advance auto or napa, they will be sure to have them. and i know the name seems to say they would be blue, but they honestly arent any much bluer to the eye than the stock 4300k. some brands actually are using these as stock instead of the 4300k's now. and yes it is a direct fit!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ive been told that the higher the kelvin is the higher the bulbs burn producing more output, but also when things burn hotter, the color deepens just like fire, an average fire is orangey but a welder's flame is blue, same idea. but ive also heard that since the higher the bulb is burning the deeper the light gets producing a darker hugh and therefore counteracting the extra output and making it a very dark casted light. ive replaced my bulbs with osram cool blue intense xenarc. they are by far the brightest hids you could possibly get and are rated at 5000k which is right at the cutoff before the light starts to darken. they are a bit pricey but if u have autozone or advance auto or napa, they will be sure to have them. and i know the name seems to say they would be blue, but they honestly arent any much bluer to the eye than the stock 4300k. some brands actually are using these as stock instead of the 4300k's now. and yes it is a direct fit!
Thanks for the help, how pricey are we talking?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts