SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, the previous owner painted my headlights black, and put this LED stripping in them. Idk? Guess he thought it was cool.
Anyway, like to go a complete different direction. Found some used Xenon headlights from a 2003 for $250.00. Are these worth while? Is it a simple swap to convert?
Thanks!

·
Registered
9,370 Posts
If the 9-3 system is anything like the 9-5, one main benefit of Saab's HID system is the ability to self-level, so if you load the car, you aren't blinding other drivers. (I spent two hours on a dark highway with holiday traffic, don't start me on headlights tipped upwards because of all the cottage crap in the back.)

The problem on the 9-5 is that, without the levelling sensors and their wiring, the headlights drop the headlight beam way down. There is no easy way around this. (In fact, there may be no satisfactory way around it short of actually getting and installing level sensors and wiring.)

Another problem is that the bulbs don't last long even if OEM and not cheap eBay or fake bulbs, and the real ones are expensive to boot.

On the whole, I would pass unless the above concerns are resolved by someone who knows the 9-3 HID system better.

·
Super Moderator
20,202 Posts
-bulbs are $50 a pair. On my second pair in 17 years.
-if you add you have to enable with tech2
-they wont auto level

·
Registered
159 Posts
-bulbs are $50 a pair. On my second pair in 17 years.
-if you add you have to enable with tech2
-they wont auto level
Diggs, will it aim too low? I found a set of Xenon headlight in local. I have no plan to install the auto level.

What kind of bulb do you use? Seller said the Xenon bulb might be out.

·
Super Moderator
20,202 Posts
Diggs, will it aim too low? I found a set of Xenon headlight in local. I have no plan to install the auto level.

What kind of bulb do you use? Seller said the Xenon bulb might be out.
They have aiming screws on the headlights so you can lower them.

Morimotos from theretrofitsource are good and cheap. Just pick your color. 4500k is stock.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/d2s-morimoto-xb-hid.html

Make sure you ask what year the headlights came from they switched D2S to D1S in 2008. Assuming your 2010 they are newer headlights you found?

·
Registered
159 Posts
The seller said it is from 2008. Are the headlight have different projector between Xenon and Halogen? I will get it, since it is direct swap. Just need someone who got Tech 2 locally able to change the setting for reasonable price.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts