SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having this issue for several months now. What's going on is during travel my driver side headlight will go out. The only way to get it to turn back on is either to shut off the car completely or use the headlight switch and switch it between the left setting and the center setting til it comes back on.

This started to happen last summer and was only occasional then, over the past few weeks its gotten progressively worse (the light turns off almost every time I drive)

Now I'm not a car savvy person and I have no idea on where to start as far as troubleshooting this issue. The shop I normally take my car for service and maintenance the shop owner suggested it may be the ballast?? Like I said i have no idea.

So if I could get some guidance on where to start looking for a solution that would be awesome.

Thanks in advance,

Allen

·
Registered
419 Posts
Could also just be a bad bulb. My passenger headlight had the exact symptoms, changed out both bulbs with two new phillips ultra blue d1s' and problem solved. When i changed them i noticed they were not matched bulbs, so someone replaced one before hand with a different brand.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the bulb was bad why would it work everytime the vehicle is started? Wouldn't it just cease to function any more?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Not necessarily. Xenon bulbs run on a xenon gas which is ignited, im assuming if the bulb is bad the gas ignites and goes out, hence you having to fiddle with your switch to reignite the gas. Once its ignited they run on low power. My bulb would flicker on and off, and then eventually stay off throwing a blown bulb notice after a while. Like i said, exact same symptoms. I would fiddle with the light switch and it would come back on. New bulb = no more problem for me.

·
Registered
419 Posts
They recommend replacing both bulbs because of the difference in color. As far as if there are any issues mechanically or electronically with only changing a single bulb, im not sure but that doesn't make any sense to me.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well thank you knifemundo you've been a great help. I'm glad too that its not something thats going to cost an arm and a leg as well.

·
Registered
800 Posts
before you buy a new bulb you could try swapping the left and right bulb to see if the problem follows the suspected bad bulb. if it does then you've confirmed the issue. if the problem stays even though you've swapped bulbs then there could be some other part of the lighting system that's having an issue. just an idea...

G

·
Also, just making sure its the right model, H7 HID bulb sound right? http://www.lightbulbs4cars.com/site/1567293/product/CWH7100
The H7 is halogen. The xenon bulbs in the 9-5 are D1S and they are quite a bit more expensive. 4300K is the standard OEM color.

You can sometimes find these on eBay for much better prices. Don't go to the Saab dealer for these because they charge $200+ for 1. Stick with the well-known brands Philips or Osram as they will last much longer.

I had the same issue with one bulb just turning off randomly. It sometimes came on just by itself again. Replacing it fixed the problem. When 1 bulb goes bad, the other one usually is not far behind. As Knifemundo mentioned, the color will be different as well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Same issue

I have been having the same issue with my Xenon bulb on the passenger’s side of my Saab and have replaced the bulb twice with GE bulbs, the first time the bulb didn’t ignite at all so I got the parts place to give me another bulb. The second bulb ignites but shuts off after I start driving the car. I swapped the ballasts and checked the fuses and wiring seem like I have no initial problem. Any ideas do I go for a third bulb?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts