SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks, but many of the guys say it's the ballast, but whatever it is, how the heck do you replace the ballast,the bulb, or both? If you look under the hood, all you'll see is engine and a whole lot of stuff, you can't see anything around the lights. I don't want to pay a dealer, you know what that would cost...and bottom line, I have to know exactly what the problem is before I run out and buy parts.

·
Registered
507 Posts
the dealer had told me you have to remove the headlight housing ... said this is a 45 min job to do it ...

i highly recommend that you replace all the bulbs while you are in there... saves the hassle when your turn signal blinker burns out too

·
Registered
141 Posts
my left light was flickering. i bought new hids for both sides and changed them out and it was very easy ($160). working fine now.

·
Registered
54 Posts
What the heck is the dealer saying it takes 45 mins to pull the headlight housing out. They are held in by 2 pull tabs that you lift up and the housing comes right out. Takes less than a minute. I second the fact of going on Ebay to find lights and ballasts. They are a lot cheaper. If you're saab came with the HIDs they have direct OE replacements for pretty cheap. If yours didnt come with HIDs they have tons of aftermarket conversions that are simply plug and play.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same problem with the Left side Xenon flashing then going out, and i have to switch the headlights off then back on for it to start working. I have swapped the bulbs round left to right and the problem stays on the left side. I have also swapped the balast round left to right and visa versa and again the problem stays on the left side. i have checked the connections from balast to bulb and cant see any problems there. This is really doing my head in. The next thing i'm going to do is try switching the whole head lights units round and sit them some where on top to prove wheather it is the housing or the wiring harness that is at fault.

·
Registered
507 Posts
What I have been doing is turn the key let the bulbs warm up before starting the truck then i hit the starter and voila the light stays on ... i'm guessing there is some kind of voltage drop on the left side

·
Registered
15 Posts
What I have been doing is turn the key let the bulbs warm up before starting the truck then i hit the starter and voila the light stays on ... i'm guessing there is some kind of voltage drop on the left side
Not necessary. It's definitely either the bulb or the ballast. Start with the bulb, buy a new D1S bulb online and install it. If you don't know how to:

1. There are two metal tabs just above the light housing on the top rear of the light housing. One on the left and one on the right. Lift these all the way up.

2. Pull away the light housing from the car. There is a plug for the HID lights with a plastic clip that pulls out and two bulbs that need to be turned by hand before they can be removed so that the entire headlight assembly may be pulled out.

3. Remove the light housing from the car.

4. Remove the round plastic cover on the back to expose the D1S lamp.

5. Remove the clips from the lamp, remove and unplug the lamp. Replace with a new one (Phillips XenStart D1S).

6. Reassemble the light.

If that doesn't fix it, it's definitely the ballast. Like I said, thats on the bottom, only three screws holding it on. Piece of cake, just remove the screws, pull down the ballast slightly, and you'll see two plugs.

You can find a deal the ballasts if you're looking hard enough, try and avoid the stealer, they'll get you for $250 on these.

I just bought a bulb and ballast from a 2009 9-7x wreck for $100 shipped.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Has anyone found a reliable ballast that they'd like to share brand and model? I'm looking on amazon but alot of them have poor reviews. thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Price at stealer ship D1S

Apart from numerous problems since I bought my 95 aero hot 2006.

Headlights keep flickering. Bulbs from Stealer ship UK prices £96 each one Stealer even tried to charge me £117 per bulb yeah right :nono;

Can source bulbs Ebay £29.99 for the set D1S also come with 12 months warranty. Then they want to know why they go out of business by trying to blatantly rip us off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
HID Bulbs

I have replaced mine twice in just over 5 years on my 9-7x 5.3i. If I need the bulbs now then I can get them at NAPA for $75/bulb but I usually buy them on ebay for around $30/bulb.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New information indicates that the #15 Relay is going bad

New information indicates that the #15 Relay is going bad.

That is under the hood, the Grey Relays specifically #15 in the compartment beyond the battery deeper into the hood.

You will find grey relays and an orange circuit box in the upper left when looking into the open hood.

One of the grey relays needs rebuilding or replacing as this is also a cause of flickering Xenon lights as it is not allowing enough voltage/amperage to the ballasts and that in turn is causing them to drop their needed high voltage to the xenon lamps.

You can find yourself replacing bulbs and ballasts and still have an issue, this is the next area to consider testing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How can I replace the ballast on my 06 9-5 Aero?

Hi,I'm having a similar headlight problem on my 06 9-5 Aero. The passenger side. headlight flickers and goes out and I have to restart the car in order to get the light to come back on. Now it's gone completely out. It seems like it's a ballast problem from what I've been reading, but I don't know how to change the ballast. I popped the hood and it doesn't look like it can be replaced from the inside, infact I can't even find it, or even see how to replace the bulbs!. I checked on ebay and they sell conversions kits, but Saabs have two bulbs, high & low beam, this gets confusing and I could use some help, Can anyone tell me how to replace the ballast?
I changed the bulb and ballast on my ‘04 and it blinks like a loose connection. Going to replace the igniter now. Mine was out completely and the ballast was dead. Now it blinks on and off.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts