SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

This just started happening a few days ago. The passenger light SOMETIMES (very rarely) seems to go out or flicker when it is cold outside. If you turn the lights off and then on again it comes back on, and could go out again in 2 minutes or last for hours. What is the deal? Do I need a new headlight assembly at what does that cost? Is something loose? I have heard of these issues before but I don't like the search feature on this website as you have to go through too much stuff. Control module?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you need to replace the xenon bulb. 1=$350

WOw, thats pricey. Maybe I'll just duct tape a maglite to the side!

If the other side flcikers sometimes too, I am wondering if that needs a new bulb or if the non affected side is just dealing with changes in wattage from the otherside going out.

W

·
0 Posts
Dealers charge very high prices for Xenon bulbs. You should be able to find a pair of good quality bulbs for $150 - $200.
http://www.suvlights.com/index.php?cPath=25_50_30

You can sometimes find better deals on eBay. Stick with the good quality brands like Philips or Osram because they will last the longest. You should replace each side at the same time as they will change a bit in color over time. And when one goes bad, the other one won't be far behind.

·
Registered
507 Posts
good to know ... i just got raped at the dealer for the 350 bucks for it ... not knowing I could replace that myself figure it was a propreitory OE bulb or something

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have experienced my HID lights flickering within the first 30 seconds of driving when it is extremely cold out (below freezing). I notice it when going over potholes / speed bumps in my parking lot. I have never noticed it while driving at speed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
cheap fix, maybe

I've had the same headlamp flickering issues numerous times and I've always found moisture in the 12vdc plug at the ballast. Pull the ballast off the bottom of the assembly (torx tool), open the ballast, spray it down with contact cleaner or rubbing alcohol, let it dry real good, clean the two 12vdc pins and coat them with dielectric paste and reassemble the ballast. This has worked for me twice this winter season and once last spring. The 12vdc is common to both drv & pass side lamps so one wet one will effect the other especially on initial ignition of the lamp so I always check both when problem occurs. I hope you have the same luck as me, saves a lot of $$$

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good advice, I will do this when it warms up outside. Luckily I have not had this problem in about 2 months.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Your ballasts should be checked. I had the flicker and I would have to turn the lights off/on constantly.

I replaced the ballasts for 60.00 each and I haven't had any flickering since. 8 months has gone by with no issue.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Because it's not the bulb.. it's the ballast.
Mine started flickering when the moisture content/temperature in the air dropped. I am guessing it is a connection issue. I haven't had the issue in 2 months at all as it is warming up.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The ballast is the piece of equipment that starts the operation (turning on) and controls the voltage in gas discharging lights (ie. hid, fluorescent, neon, etc...). You'll have one per light. They typically last for a couple years depending on how often you turn them on and off. Usually troubleshooting go light>wiring>ballast.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The ballast is the piece of equipment that starts the operation (turning on) and controls the voltage in gas discharging lights (ie. hid, fluorescent, neon, etc...). You'll have one per light. They typically last for a couple years depending on how often you turn them on and off. Usually troubleshooting go light>wiring>ballast.
Ouch, how much is that? Propietary? I am guessing it is located near each light? I am an okay home mechanic, but maybe this is worth paying to have changed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
How can I replace the ballast on my 06 9-5 Aero?

Hi,I'm having a similar headlight problem on my 06 9-5 Aero. The passenger side. headlight flickers and goes out and I have to restart the car in order to get the light to come back on. Now it's gone completely out. It seems like it's a ballast problem from what I've been reading, but I don't know how to change the ballast. I popped the hood and it doesn't look like it can be replaced from the inside, infact I can't even find it, or even see how to replace the bulbs!. I checked on ebay and they sell conversions kits, but Saabs have two bulbs, high & low beam, this gets confusing and I could use some help, Can anyone tell me how to replace the ballast?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts