SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Saab 93 Aero and was thinking of converting from standard headlights to Xenons? any idea on how much that would be and places to have the work done in my area (herts/cambs)?
Cheers
Newbie Saab owner :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
well, i looked it up and its about 1500 somewhere around there, cause you need to get sensors, the ballasts the bulbs leveling motors etc, your better off with an aftermarket kit i put 6000k xenon in mine they orginally cost me about $200 when i bought them for my vw gti. the gti took h7 bulbs and so does my saab so it was all good

·
Registered
85 Posts
I really like the look of those lights! If I was to get that same kit, but wanted a whiter look, should I go with 5000k?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Here's how I did mine:

Pulled into the shop

I wanted 6000k bulbs and was told the cheaper USD235 6000k set was out of stock, only 8000k left. So had to settle for the $255 6000k MEGAFORCE brand set. According to them, it's mega bright too. We'll see.

Taking out the original bulbs

·
Registered
142 Posts
From inside the car at night. Much brighter than the stock halogens.

A shot from outside the car. They're not so blue in real life

Lastly, a shot of the car at night just for fun

All in all, it was a painless experience. The job took less than 1 hour. Damage was USD255 in total including installation.

·
Registered
473 Posts
well i did mine myself i dont trust shops to do workother than the dealership 8000k were too blue for me, so i swapped down to 6000k ... best thing ive ever done :p but i did mine the harder way, i took off the front bumper and the headlights out and did it that way, thus so my hand wouldent get burnt and i could be alot neater with the wires! and plus i had the satisfactory that i did it myself!

original configuration w/ 8000k projectors and fogs :cheesy:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey FLA... what wheels are those? They look a little different than the Vector wheels. I really like the wheels on the newer Audi A4s and those look very similar. I have been looking for something like those that would fit my 03 9-3L! Nice car by the way!

·
Registered
473 Posts
lol thanks they are a 60th aniversiary option wheel or something of that sort i just went out to the lot pulled a stock number and bought a car lol i have the option to get them in chrome too still debating lol

·
Registered
759 Posts
Yes half of hte 60th anniversary models came with these wheels, they're called "Double Bridge" and the other half came with the "Anniversary" wheels.

·
Registered
473 Posts
should i swap them out and get the chrome ones? :-D i think it would be different, same wheels but we chromed a set ... they are from a vert so they have pirelli tires :p

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Retro-fitting the factory HIDS and level sensors is going to be expensive.

OP is in the UK so would be best getting aftermarket HIDs here. Their kit works without bulb failure and strobing problems of some other kits.

http://www.hids4u.co.uk/

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey
I saw your post on this and, notably, the photo where you re-use the 3 tabbed H7 Bulb Holder:

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w181/guaykarchng/BulbHolders.jpg

How did you fit this over the HID H7 bulb? or did you have to cut it to fee the wiring through? I am attempting to install a DDM Tuning HID kit. It all lights up fine, but I can't secure it back into the housing...

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hey
I saw your post on this and, notably, the photo where you re-use the 3 tabbed H7 Bulb Holder:

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w181/guaykarchng/BulbHolders.jpg

How did you fit this over the HID H7 bulb? or did you have to cut it to fee the wiring through? I am attempting to install a DDM Tuning HID kit. It all lights up fine, but I can't secure it back into the housing...

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Very simple job. Get a good quality HID kit. There are ebay kits that do work but they are more blue and you could run into major issues with police OR flickering issues/ light out issues. I use phillips kits. They are a bit more expensive but they work perfect.

To secure it i made a custom clip and just wedged it in. Im planning to take out the headlight bake it open and install quality FXR projectors because the OEM projectors are garbage and do not provide a sharp cut off.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Im planning to take out the headlight bake it open and install quality FXR projectors because the OEM projectors are garbage and do not provide a sharp cut off.
They're actually quite good. The fresnel lens is in place in the stock projectors specifically to soften the cutoff to avoid the white/blue/purple flickering. I know, the rice mentality says the flicker is good, but it really isn't for oncoming drivers as you peak a hill.

·
Registered
274 Posts
They're actually quite good. The fresnel lens is in place in the stock projectors specifically to soften the cutoff to avoid the white/blue/purple flickering. I know, the rice mentality says the flicker is good, but it really isn't for oncoming drivers as you peak a hill.
Lol rice mentality. I've been tuning cars since I was in my mothers womb. Starting from Lada 2105 with my dad to my current Ml And M3 and there is nothing rice about my cars;)

Fxr has nothing to do with blue or flicker. It is a sharp projector and clear lenses. If you are putting a hid kit in a halogen projector headlight any projector upgrade is beneficial. If you read on the Fxr projector reviews you would find out it one of the best on the market. Nothing beats the clear lenses on top running a original Phillips d2s with a hella ballast.does not come close. I did this mod on my M huge difference. The stock Zf projectors were not even a comparison.

Second Saab valeo headlight is a poor quality design. I worked with many saabs when I worked with a Saab shop. Lots had broken mounts projector shakes. Headlight turns yellow because of not proper grade plastic making it easy target of UV rays. I can't say same from 08-12 since I have not worked on a lot of those. But 03-07 any projector upgrade from halogen projector is upgrade.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts