SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have seen conflicting information regarding bulb replacement of the 9-3 bi-xenon bulb. I currently have one out on my Vector and am considering my options (aside from mortgaging the house to have the dealer fix it).

My understanding is as follows:
Saab recommends to have the dealer replace the xenon bulb.

The hallogen bulbs are straight forward to replace, and can be done simply yourself.

Questions:
- What is the difference in installation? I have heard all kinds of things from nothing to they require removal of the bumper skin to that they explode if you don't do it right. Can anyone clear this up?

- Does anyone have a recommendation for a less expensive replacement? What have people done that they like?

- Is it easy to replace the orange corner bulbs at the same time (w/ clears)? Recommendations for those?

- I have some tools but limited space. Is this possible, or should I pay the bucks to have someone do it that has greater resources?

Please help!!

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
They are easy to replace and do not require removing the bumper cover. The confusion arises because Saab's instruction manual refers to the "headlight" when they mean the whole assembly.

Saab uses both Philips and Osram D2S bulbs at the factory. Both are readily available on ebay. I got a pair of Osrams for about $70.

The steps to change the bulb are about as complicated as taking apart a drip coffee maker. I'm talking about taking it apart to clean it, not to actually fix a broken one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts