SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So while washing my whip today I noticed that my rear passenger tire had a nice gouge in the sidewall, right near the lettering. Looks to be about 1/8" deep, maybe a little less. I am none too pleased. :x It especially sucks since I only have 6,300 miles on the tires - they look brand new! It's odd too because there was no scuffing around the gash, so it doesn't seem like it's from backing into a curb. The roads around NY are littered with trash and the parking lot at work is also pretty lousy - my guess is maybe I hit a piece of metal or glass. :roll:

I've had a blowout on the highway before - 75mph on the Garden State Parkway in morning rush hour traffic. It's an experience I would not like to relive so I don't want to take any chances with a damaged sidewall and thus I am looking for a replacement.

Does anyone have an OEM 16" P6 they'd like to get rid of? If you're within driving distance of NYC that'd be even better. PM me and we can discuss it.

A brand new one costs $100+ from tirerack.com plus $20-$25 to have it mounted and balanced locally. That made me think of eBay. There are plenty of used tires out there, and I even found 2 used sets of P6s in our OEM size for less than $200 (within 2 hours of NYC too!). Anyone ever try used tires?

·
Registered
97 Posts
A lot of part-worn tyres sold here in the UK are removed from accident damaged vehicles. After all, why else would you remove a perfectly good tyre? If the used tyre is from an accident car, you have no way of knowing if the tyre has hit a kerb or other object at speed and could have invisible sidewall damage. A new tyre is $100? What price your life? Tyres in the US are about 60% of the cost in the UK but I still would never use a tyre that could have been abused before.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
If the steel belts are not showing you might be ok.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
strat81 said:
I noticed that my rear passenger tire had a nice gouge in the sidewall, right near the lettering. Looks to be about 1/8" deep, maybe a little less.
I take it this is a linear gouge, and not a spider-shaped defect?
How long is the gouge?

The sidewall is structurally very important. I don't know of any rule of thumb here that would apply to what sounds like a shallow gouge.

If it's an inch or less, I think you would be fine. I would hit it with some soapy water to make sure there isn't a puncture. Make sure the tire hasn't lost pressure. If you ran over something there may be other damage you don't see. If the sidewall is punctured, you definitely need a new tire.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I *think* I'm seeing cords, but it might just be sheared rubber. The gouge runs from the edge of the tire towards the hub. It's about 1/2" to 3/4" in length and soapy water isn't showing any leakage. It's smack in the center of the sidewall, not near the tread or bead.

I did some driving on it today and the car handles fine, even with the some crazy turns. I didn't take it up to 60 or 70, but 30mph right-hand turns with turns screeching yielded not problems... yet. I definitely want a different tire back there though... nobody around NYC has a P6 laying around gathering dust?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I have a P6, but I am outside of Philly. So that doesn't help a lot unless you know someone here. But if you want it, we can work something out...

:)

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CosmicSaab said:
I have a P6, but I am outside of Philly. So that doesn't help a lot unless you know someone here. But if you want it, we can work something out...

:)
You have a PM. :D

·
Banned
975 Posts
Take it by your dealership and ask them to take a look at it. My recommendation... better safe than sorry... if you feel that it's a cause for concern fix it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts