SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i suppose it was bound to happen eventually. going back to work, a ford f150 braked hard and late, ended up tapping the car in front of it barely. pontiac grand prix behind him ended up under his bumper, and i ended up in the back of him. even though the grand prix's front end looked worse than mine, because he didnt hit on his bumper, his airbags didnt go off, but mine did. hood is bent, front right headlight is crushed, grille is crushed, radiator possibly got bent. other than that and the airbags though, the car is great and probably driveable. tow truck guy was able to drive it up on the truck and i didnt see any fluids on the ground after he moved it. all three drivers were fine, other cars were able to drive off. i was paying attention, moving at the same speed as traffic which was well below speed limit of 45, and i wasn't tailgating so i dont think im at fault. insurance adjuster coming to look at it tom. or wed hopefully; might be able to get it to a body shop by friday :\ i really just hope they dont total it out, i love it too much

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
That's really too bad. :cry: I couldn't imagine if that happened to me. If it is totaled, what route do you think you'd go? :)::cough::: 04-05 Aero :::cough:::) :cheesy:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i JUST had the suspension finished up last week; aero springs, bilstein HDs, aero ARBs :(. I got a call from the adjuster this morning, he's going to check it out tomorrow but told me to be prepared for it to be totalled out ;oops:. I told him I had just replaced the suspension and said if I had the receipts (which i do) they would be able to factor some of that cost into what I'd get back.

I am addicted to Saabs now though :D. I'd definitely go for an 02- aero

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
pdenton said:
i was paying attention, moving at the same speed as traffic which was well below speed limit of 45, and i wasn't tailgating so i dont think im at fault.
If you drove into the back of someone, how can it not be your fault?

Or had you stopped and the car behind you pushed you into them?

With the airbags deployed I'd say they will total it :confused:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chris 9-5 said:

Everyone else I've asked has said it's probably either my fault or no fault. Basically my case is, I was driving very non-aggressively, the cars in front of me had already wrecked and despite the best of my abilities to avoid hitting the car, I couldn't.

And yeah, I've had a ton of people warn me they will probably total it.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:

That's actually the law here in the States. If your front end contacts another car's rear end, you're at fault almost completely regardless of circumstances.

And an '01? Yeah, totaled. KBB puts an '01 with 120K on in perfect condition at about $7,500 to $8,000. You'll probably need to spend that just on body work and paint.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
pdenton said:
Basically my case is, I was driving very non-aggressively, the cars in front of me had already wrecked and despite the best of my abilities to avoid hitting the car, I couldn't.
So you were driving too close then.............

Thats how the UK laws would see it, painful I know :confused:

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Could you at least harvest all the new parts you just put on it? You could probably resell some of the stuff on here to people looking for the pieces.. (hint hint). :cheesy:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fusionrx said:
Could you at least harvest all the new parts you just put on it? You could probably resell some of the stuff on here to people looking for the pieces.. (hint hint). :cheesy:
asked about that actually, the insurance guy said i couldn't have the parts back but if i had the receipts which i do, they'll figure into the worth of the car.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
same thing was said of my truck (SUV) when that got totalled out. New tires weren't worth anything to the value of the truck.

I highly doubt you'll get much $$ back even with receipts... (I didn't and I had receipts). I did get a decent value on the car given its condition and mileage, so I wasn't too badly off (it was enough for me to buy a 99 9-5 sedan with!)

·
Registered
803 Posts
Buy the car back from the insurance company and then part it out. You'll make back the money spent to buy it back on the seats alone.

·
Registered
462 Posts
That just stinks!....but, opportunity knocks...down payment on that Red Aero on the other thread with the way cool interior...Sorry boys, I like it! Zebulon

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
update

well, she's gone. Adjuster put the car value at ~$7800 + probably $300 for my work, and the repairs would have been well over $10,000 he said. Of course on top of that, police report said the whole thing was my fault so insurance will be going up a bit. I think I might just get a beater for the next year or so and when I graduate in may and get a full-time job I'll save up and get a real car. This sadly means I won't be a Saabie for the next year or so but I'm so addicted to them I'm sure I will get another one when the time comes. I'll admit to crying when i found out :cry:

·
Registered
349 Posts
pdenton said:
well, she's gone. Adjuster put the car value at ~$7800 + probably $300 for my work, and the repairs would have been well over $10,000 he said. Of course on top of that, police report said the whole thing was my fault so insurance will be going up a bit. I think I might just get a beater for the next year or so and when I graduate in may and get a full-time job I'll save up and get a real car. This sadly means I won't be a Saabie for the next year or so but I'm so addicted to them I'm sure I will get another one when the time comes. I'll admit to crying when i found out :cry:
Find a ng900 for a few grand.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
DREWZ AIRFLOW SE said:
Find a ng900 for a few grand.
That sounds like a good idea to me! Or if you want a bigger car look for a 9000 or something.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts