SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i got my clutch replaced today (feels GREAT now! though turns out my old one was fine :confused: )... and got my TE05 put in in place of old T3... not even an hour later the bearings get spun and it seizes up on me!!! :x and now it literally smokes so much i got pulled over by the cops it was smoking so much... i'm just gonna put my old one back on tomorrow in... whatever parking lot they let me pull into :roll: fuuun stuff... oh well, should be easier than last time cuz the bolts have been loosened and retightened :confused:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Did you replace the oil supply line?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Is the APC online and controlling the turbo?
Kinda sounds like it's not. *shrug*

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
You can't run a water cooled unit with no water lines. An 87' is oil cooled only.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
hate to say it, but it sounds like the innevitable has happened ;oops:

drg23 said:
if your mechanic told you that, its time you tell him something yourself.... not plumbing a water cooled unit with water is just stupidity
G
yfs87 said:
not plumbing the watercooling in would be the most halfassed and lazy install ever...now you arent that lazy mike...are you?
TheRedBaron said:
Do you have $3? See post #3!
Matthew said:
The core of a water cooled turbo is quite different to that of an oil cooled turbo. No water to a water cooled turbo means no turbo cooling :lol: You wouldn't expect to cool the engine in your car with just oil now would you? Or would you?

Install the TE05 properly or don't bother. Anything else is a waste of time..
yfs87 said:
im not sure i would trust a mechanic that tells you its ok not to hook up the cooling lines... :eek:
G

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
did you not hook up the coolent lines?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
he said they were unneccessary :x not to mention to hook them up we'd have to drill and tap a hole in the head... no the APC wasn't hooked up, but i kept an eye on the boost and didn't let it go past the yellow... i'm gonna ask him about no charge for labor on the cluch job in place of refunding the turbo... i think Uma just doesn't wanna be turbocharged anymore :roll:

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
im sorry to laugh, but smack your mechanic and tell him everyone on saabcentral thinks he is a douche :lol:

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Sorry to hear that mike, you might be able to work a deal with your mech seeing as it was his recommendation to not hook up the lines.

ps, apc will be in the mail monday or tuesday :D

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol i know i know... even so though, it spun the bearing long before it would have heated up to the point of needing the coolant running through it... it spun the bearing about... 1 minute after i started driving? then it freed up, so i was like "well i'll just baby her down to asheville, and swap it out with my old one in ryans driveway"... no such luck... seized up again completely and started burning so much oil i got police attention :eek:

EDIT: thank you redbaron :cheesy: now i just hope to have a functioning turbo to go along with it when i get it :lol:

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
mikewitdaspike said:
lol i know i know...
<holds head in hands>
WHY, Mike, WHY?

even so though, it spun the bearing long before it would have heated up to the point of needing the coolant running through it...
<looks sceptical>

<shrugs> It's academic, anyway, because any warranty you may have had got ripped up the moment you tried to run the damn turbo with no cooling.

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
The cartridge for the TE05 needs water cooling period, its not like an oil cooled cartridge that flows oil all around it in large chambers, I can't believe somebody told you that a water cooled turbo did not need water!

I am surprised the turbo lasted half an hour TBO

I think Joe did a thread on making the hoses for the water lines, it not as hard as you would think but I think your Durbo needs new seals now and hopefully is not totally seized up.

·
Registered
801 Posts
ShadowWorks said:
The cartridge for the TE05 needs water cooling period, its not like an oil cooled cartridge that flows oil all around it in large chambers, I can't believe somebody told you that a water cooled turbo did not need water!

I am surprised the turbo lasted half an hour TBO

I think Joe did a thread on making the hoses for the water lines, it not as hard as you would think but I think your Durbo needs new seals now and hopefully is not totally seized up.
ShadowWorks is right... the TE05 is a fairly fragile turbo as turbos go... the T3 is very hearty, I have seen plenty of used watercooled T3's hooked up to pre 87 cars with no water lines and they lasted, BUT the TE05 can't handle that, BUT i think you just got a *** turbo....but hooking up water cooling is not hard you simply need water lines from an 88 or 89 turbo, and it will take the water feed off the intake....if you look at a donor car it will be evident... and I would suggest getting a good used T3 they are a better choice IMHO then a TE05 for a 2.0 Saab, just large enough for reasonable power and just small enough for good spooling,

Don't give up the fight....these cars go through fits, they will be wonderful for months, even years and then fall apart for a month or so, then you'll sort it all out and it will be fine again...they are great cars, just old and require TONS of love and DEVOTION Good Luck

BTW
where in VA are you? I am moving from Maine to VA in about 1 week with my 87, I will be near the Shenandoah valley in the city of Lynchburg, and I have some friends that are near Harrisonburg...

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Breakin5speeds said:
ShadowWorks is right... the TE05 is a fairly fragile turbo as turbos go... the T3 is very hearty, I have seen plenty of used watercooled T3's hooked up to pre 87 cars with no water lines and they lasted, BUT the TE05 can't handle that, BUT i think you just got a *** turbo....but hooking up water cooling is not hard you simply need water lines from an 88 or 89 turbo, and it will take the water feed off the intake....if you look at a donor car it will be evident... and I would suggest getting a good used T3 they are a better choice IMHO then a TE05 for a 2.0 Saab, just large enough for reasonable power and just small enough for good spooling,

Don't give up the fight....these cars go through fits, they will be wonderful for months, even years and then fall apart for a month or so, then you'll sort it all out and it will be fine again...they are great cars, just old and require TONS of love and DEVOTION Good Luck

BTW
where in VA are you? I am moving from Maine to VA in about 1 week with my 87, I will be near the Shenandoah valley in the city of Lynchburg, and I have some friends that are near Harrisonburg...
yah, i'm just gonna give him the turbo back, and use my F'ed one till i can buy a rebuilt one... i'm in Roanoke, VA, right off mile marker 150 on I-81, if that's any kind of reference point... i'm about 45 minutes to an hour from lynchburg

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
I can't tell all the times I've been told you can run a water cooled turbo without the coolent hooked up, but I can't say that I'd try it. :D

That said, they must have been talking about the T3. :roll:

Good luck with it, keep at it, you'll eventually get it to the point it is all fixed up and runs a treat. :cool:

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
You don't drill a hole in the head for coolant line. There is a "nut plug" (19 mm head) on the intake manifold, you remove this, then there is a banjo fitting that goes there and another (longer) plug that holds it in place.

The bottom coolant line just goes into the lower rad hose.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OH.MY.GOD. :eek: i swapped turbos out in a parking lot in bristol, TN this evening (me and a friend did it in 1 1/2 hours, with my sister being an amazing help as flashlight holder :D ) you won't believe what i found... pics tomorrow once i can snatch her camera (and once i get some sleep!)... oh btw, breakin, i'm only LEGALLY too young for a beer ;) not for a good cigar though...

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
mikewitdaspike said:
OH.MY.GOD. :eek: i swapped turbos out in a parking lot in bristol, TN this evening (me and a friend did it in 1 1/2 hours, with my sister being an amazing help as flashlight holder :D ) you won't believe what i found... pics tomorrow once i can snatch her camera (and once i get some sleep!)... oh btw, breakin, i'm only LEGALLY too young for a beer ;) not for a good cigar though...
haha....that is awsome!

Sorry about the troubles man, at least you can swap turbos in no time!

Keep an eye on ebay for a T3 oil cooled unit!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts