SaabCentral Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, long story short, one of my good friends was in an bad accident yesterday, and today i went out and picked up two of my friends and started our trip to the hospital to go see her. well, to be blunt, neither of those two friends are lightweights, combined they weigh around 500-550 pounds, plus i had my toolbox in the back, which weighs at least 50 pounds, so i had about 600 extra pounds of weight in the car, and a blown turbo, and a boost leak! dunno where that is, i still can't find it... but meh... i'm drivin along and i see my neighbor in his 2000ish mustang with the V6... he has a few mods in it, and it's not slow... he sees me pulling up beside him on the highway and he drops the hammer... i heard it, and being the silly person i am, i dropped a gear and followed suit, and i passed him :eek: and i know he was still giving it juice, i could hear his car pushin... i couldn't believe it :lol: so yah, that's my little story for today... i laughed pretty hard

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yah, i can't wait to see what it'll be like with a working turbo! and hopefully more mods to come, but i think i'm gonna track down that frickin vacuum leak first... and replace the pressure sensor under the dash :roll: and do God knows what else

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
um... maybe... doesn't matter though, wherever that vacuum leak is, it only boosts to mid yellow :(

·
Registered
751 Posts
its always nice to see what you can keep up with. my closest competitor is the clio 2.0 sport and the big estate MG...ZS?

differnt world of cars compared to you lot :)

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
mikewitdaspike said:
um... maybe... doesn't matter though, wherever that vacuum leak is, it only boosts to mid yellow :(
... something to consider, Mike, if the vacuum leak is in the line going to the boost gauge it could be boosting well into the "red" at the combustion chambers, but only telling you it's getting into the yellow 'cause of the leak ...;)

Going to hop on my old fart soapbox for a minute here - street racing is fun - I'll admit that in my mis-spent youth I engaged in the activity on more than one occasion - but it's a really dangerous "sport" to engage in. If you have the need for speed I'd really encourage you to take it to a track or autocross course and not take it to the streets. I've lost friends street racing and have seen innocent bystanders and other drivers hurt really bad by out of control drivers as well. Here in Adams County PA there has been a rash of young drivers getting killed racing in the streets - as the cops patrol the straight four lane sections the kids seem to move more and more to the backroads - crosses pop up on some roads with alarming frequency. Yeah - it's more expensive to race on a track - your car has to be modified to meet sanctioning body or track specific safety requirements - and for autocross you have to race in a certain class, in which your car may not be competitive - but there's far less chance of ending up as a statistic. As for racing with other people in the car - I hate to be this blunt but that's just freaking stupid - it's a tragedy to kill yourself in a car accident - but imagine if you killed a friend or two and walked away (happens pretty often) - call me a fuddy-duddy if you wish - but when testosterone and adrenaline get together, fed by ego and often alcohol it's just a tragedy waiting to happen. Keep racing off the streets and where it belongs - on the track.

Off my soap box.

Steve

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
It's only a matter of time before one of those pistons gets cracked or something...didn't you just spend a whole lot of effort resealing the crankshaft, mike? T'd be a shame to put it all to waste...in addition to your turbo. For my sanity, please, hook up the wastegate!!!! Once you get your turbo in there, I'll personally make sure and help you know how to mod the apc and add a helper spring if needed, but please, knock protection is there for a reason!!!!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cdaly said:
And, em, how's the friend in hospital?...
she'll be ok, her face may never be the same though... when the car flipped her firefighter helmet (she's in firefighter class) came up and literally broke in half on her face... her jaw is in multiple pieces, and several other face bones are fractured... and yes, i know it was stupid to race, i never went over 90 (which i know is still fast, but the highway isn't curvy except in a few spots, and that was way after i slowed down)... i dunno, i just had to see if she could even keep up :lol:

TheRedBaron said:
It's only a matter of time before one of those pistons gets cracked or something...didn't you just spend a whole lot of effort resealing the crankshaft, mike? T'd be a shame to put it all to waste...in addition to your turbo. For my sanity, please, hook up the wastegate!!!! Once you get your turbo in there, I'll personally make sure and help you know how to mod the apc and add a helper spring if needed, but please, knock protection is there for a reason!!!!
whats your address? i'll put it in the mail tomorrow ;) i'm useless when it comes to circuit stuff :confused:

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
If the car was boosting halfway into the yellow, thats about lpt levels of power. So, somewhere between 140 and 150 hp, if you are lucky. Plus all the weight in your car. Mustang v6 is 3.8 liters, 190hp. Your car probably weighed more - hence it doesn't all add up. Your car is making more boost than your guage is telling you, like Steve says. ( or, the mustang driver wasn't giving it the full beans ).
Whens the big thread about how your engine blows up?

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
TheRedBaron said:
Well hopefully it doesn't happen, I'm gonna fix his apc and send him a 3 bar ;)
thats not gonna plug his wastegate line tho... is it?

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
well hopefully it will reduce the temptation to unhook the wastegate, which is plain foolish!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.