SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a 9-3 and I've got about $10k to spend. Out here in Northern CA that means 2005-2006 with something like 70-90k miles on it. I found a 2006 with 92k miles on it in very good condition for $8k. Drives well, exterior/interior in good shape. I haven't taken it to a mechanic for an inspection yet, but I definitely will before I buy it.

This is a back-up car that we only plan to put about 2k miles/year on.

I'm a little nervous about buying a car with 92k miles on it. I've never bought a used car with so many miles. And I'm not sure what the major issues are for Saabs and when they tend to pop up.

What do you think? Go for it, or hold out and spend a little more for a car with lower mileage?

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Base or AERO?

TBH the base is a pretty bland car to drive. Immense body roll, understeers like a pig and crashes pretty hard over bumps.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Base or AERO?

TBH the base is a pretty bland car to drive. Immense body roll, understeers like a pig and crashes pretty hard over bumps.
Can I ask where you are driving? If your doing the Dayonta 500 then I can agree with you. I guess a base isn't good for your Toronto jerk off 500.

Don't listen to this guy because he has no idea what he's talking about and get whats in good shape. I drive a base model 93 like a human being (because its obvious they drive like s hitheads in Canada) and I don't experience understeer and immense body roll. If its highway miles I would go for it. Seems like a good price.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yeah the 2.0 base model is still pretty damn fun considering that the average car is a Toyota Corrola. What are people used to driving if they don't think a base 9-3 is nice to drive, Porsche's? Plus you have to consider the MPG's these days.

To answer OP, I would not get a 2005 9-3 with 90k on it for 10 grand. A 2006 or 07 with 70k seems more in line with that price.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Can I ask where you are driving? If your doing the Dayonta 500 then I can agree with you. I guess a base isn't good for your Toronto jerk off 500.

Don't listen to this guy because he has no idea what he's talking about and get whats in good shape. I drive a base model 93 like a human being (because its obvious they drive like s hitheads in Canada) and I don't experience understeer and immense body roll. If its highway miles I would go for it. Seems like a good price.
I agree here and don't listen to Alfisti--he's wrong. The base car drives just fine and better than any Jap family sedan.

If the car is in good shape, has service records, clean CarFax, and is checked out by a mechanic go for it.
Also make sure you have a garage with a Tech II scanner that can work and program the car.

The Saabs, both new and used, are a great value.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Toronto is incorrect. An 06 base is a great car. We have a 9 5 and a 93. The 9 3 has a lot of zoom, is tight and much fun to drive. Where you live with all those ****ty roads in the woods and hills, unless you live in Ukiha (sp?) you will love that car. 90000 is nothing.
Oh, I see you live in SF. Get the car if you like it. As a spare you may never have to anything to it.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
As a drivers car, a Mazda 6 runs rings around a base 9-3. It handles pot holes, corrugations and imperfections int he road better, is more settled when encountering the above mid corner and sits flatter through corners.

The 9-3 has a much nicer engine than the Mazda's 3 litre 6 pot, it looks better and well ... that's about it. The Mazda being more reliable, better to drive briskly and let's not get started on sourcing parts.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your replies.

Another 9-3 just popped up for sale. It's an '08 with 75k miles listed at $12k at a dealer, which means I could probably get it for 11k cash. A little more than I wanted to spend, but newer and lower miles than the others I mentioned.

Wondering... is it better to buy an older car with fewer miles per year, or a newer car with more miles per year > given the same amount of total miles? I'm thinking the former rather than the latter, but not sure.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Thanks for your replies.

Another 9-3 just popped up for sale. It's an '08 with 75k miles listed at $12k at a dealer, which means I could probably get it for 11k cash. A little more than I wanted to spend, but newer and lower miles than the others I mentioned.

Wondering... is it better to buy an older car with fewer miles per year, or a newer car with more miles per year > given the same amount of total miles? I'm thinking the former rather than the latter, but not sure.
That's still pretty high. If you keep looking you will find a better deal. I bought an 08 9-3 sport with 38,000 miles for $10,800. I think you should be around $9,500 for that car. Have you checked craigslist or auto trader for a 9-3 with a rebuilt title? That will cut another 40% off the price and it will probably be a great car. I've owned a few cars with rebuilt titles and never had an issue. You buy it for much less, and sell it for much less so it works out in the end.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I know it's not a great deal. But my problem is that the registration on our '92 Accord Wagon expires on 6/8. It was classified as a gross polluter and needs a new catalytic converter and other work (about $2k total), but it's only worth about $1.5k at this point.

So we only have until next Friday to get another car, unless we take the risk of driving the Accord occasionally though June and hoping we don't get pulled over. We drive it so seldom it might be worth the risk to give us some more time.

I've been checking Craigslist and Auto Trader every day. Prices are definitely better with private parties. A friend of mine just bought an '07 9-3 with 40k miles for $12k that way. But right now there's nothing out there that fits my criteria.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you sure about $9,500? The KBB price for an '08 with 75k miles in excellent condition from a private party is $10,720. Very good condition is $10,270.

From a dealer in excellent condition it's $12,620 - which is actually higher than his asking price ($11,995).

·
Registered
238 Posts
The KBB is wrong IMO given that you just can't get certain parts for the car. If Saab parts were readily available, then maybe it would be close.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Get the 08, old shape is getting old and by 08 they started to climb the reliability indexes.
I agree with this, especially the part about the 03-07 design getting a little dated. The plastic trim pieces especially. It's still a nice car but it's certainly not as modern as the 08+.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hey Switters, Im from the East Bay. Bought my 07 aero with 68K Last year for 11k from Marin County. So your price seems a little high. try contacting Charlie or Olaf at Active Auto Marin. They are Saab specialty brokers and can find you the perfect car for a good price. Their website is activeautomarin.com They currently have an 06 Aero for 11,995 with 72K. They should be able to make a deal.

I would look around. In my hunt last year I also found a 2006 2.0T with 48K for 13,000, IIRC, so for around 10K you should be able to get something with less miles or better equipped. Although our cars are getting rare out here.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey Switters, Im from the East Bay. Bought my 07 aero with 68K Last year for 11k from Marin County. So your price seems a little high. try contacting Charlie or Olaf at Active Auto Marin. They are Saab specialty brokers and can find you the perfect car for a good price. Their website is activeautomarin.com

I would look around. In my hunt last year I also found a 2006 2.0T with 48K for 13,000, IIRC, so for around 10K you should be able to get something with less miles or better equipped. Although our cars are getting rare out here.
Hi Saabless,

Actually, all of the Saabs I've mentioned are at Active Auto. I talked with Olaf this morning and asked him if he's flexible on price on the '08 if I pay cash. He said no, because he's already close to his cost.

I also asked him how often cars are coming in in the '06-'08 range with <70k miles. He said they're still coming, but less frequently than they used to. Of course he might have just been saying that to sell me a car now, but he seems like a pretty straight shooter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts