SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My wife and I are in the final stages of our research to buy a new 9-5 Sportcombi for our family of 4. We don't want an SUV. We want reasonably good gas mileage and we need space in the back for our two growing kids both for local commuting plus the long trips we take. The 9-5 meets all of our needs very well. My only concern is its realibility and cost of ownership as it ages. We plan to keep it for about 8 years.

I've been told that if I want a higher quality wagon model, that I should look at the BMW 328 wagon. But it has much less space in the second row for the kids and I understand that BMW maintenance is not cheap either when it is needed.

Based on your experience as 9-5 owners, would you buy a new 9-5 Sportcombi today, knowing what you know?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
We did

I bought the 01 wagon. Yes, I'd buy again. Had an SUV and don't want to go that route again.

Well worth it. Slightly more expensive to maintain but if you are looking at BMW's too, then you will be fine...

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
JD_Gang said:
Based on your experience as 9-5 owners, would you buy a new 9-5 Sportcombi today, knowing what you know?
If I might be able to answer a slightly different question:

JD_Gang said:
Based on your experience as 9-5 owners, would you buy a new 9-5 today, knowing what you know?
Yes, this is my second and will not be my last ;)

·
Registered
469 Posts
I owned four 9-5s, all Aero and two of them being Wagon including current. So my answer is quite obvious :cheesy:.

I don't like the new facelift of 9-5 so until Saab comes with a better one, I am going to keep the final original breed 9-5, my MY2005 Aero Wagon. You can see all photos from the link to my hangar for all the Saabs I ever owned :cool: :

http://community.webshots.com/user/turkishaerolines

G

·
The advantage of the 9-5 being in production for such a long time is that they pretty much ironed out all of the issues in earlier models. You'll also have the 100,000 mile - 5 year warranty. Just make sure to do all maintenance and oil changes on time and they'll last a long time.

I would definitely buy another later model 9-5 wagon when mine is due for replacement.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I would..But next time it will be a stick and.. also an Aero. Not that I dont love my non aero..it's quite a beautiful car and I love it.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'm on my Third....Second Aero. Current car is a Black '03 Aero with '05 Front Fascia....If someone leaves me a ton of money, I'll buy an '08 CTS...if not, my next car will be a modded '03 of another color......I love the car...it looks like no other......Zebulon

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
If you are buying new then you are fine. REALLY Used 9-5 present a large number of gambles. talking like: buying something that is 7-9 years old with no warranty and a questionable service record.

THe deprediation (if that is a factor) is very very bad on Saabs.

Fuel economy should be very low on your list of concerns. Even if you get a car with 3-4MPG less, you are not saving grave amounts of money in the end. SOme people spend an extra $4K on a car that gets better fuel economy to save $2K over the 5 years they own the car. It is more of a marketing gimmick, and considering fuel in N. America is cheap, we have even less to worry about.

I think given the value for the money, and driving something that is very versatile, you can't beat the 9-5.

Consider a pre owned 05-06 and drop the HUGE depreciation hit. A Saab certified 2005-2006 with 10K miles would be a fantastic idea.

Just my 61 cents

·
Registered
462 Posts
My local Saab Pusher told me that only a moron would buy a Saab New...(his words), based on depreciation alone.....I bought a $42K Aero with 12.5K miles on it for $24,500. I can't afford to buy a NEW $40 car of any kind...Depreciation is my friend....I've been in the present car for 30K miles and still can't wipe the grin from my face whenever I get behind the wheel....! Zebulon

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Zebulon said:
My local Saab Pusher told me that only a moron would buy a Saab New...(his words), based on depreciation alone.....I bought a $42K Aero with 12.5K miles on it for $24,500. I can't afford to buy a NEW $40 car of any kind...Depreciation is my friend....I've been in the present car for 30K miles and still can't wipe the grin from my face whenever I get behind the wheel....! Zebulon
:p exactly.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Would purchase another 9-5 wagon

We have a 2001 9-5 wagon (ARC) that we purchased for similar reasons. Did not want a SUV. We were travelling all overe mountain bike racing and needed good space and good gas mileage. The 9-5 is WAY WAY more comfortable in the back seat than almost any SUV. I am just a hair over 6' tall. We have gotten 30+ MPG travelling back from Portland, Oregon to Spokane, WA going about 75+mph. When we bought it we had a dog and got the cargo rack to keep him back there. It was great with a dog. We no longer have the dog, but have a 5 year old who loves to bike ride too! We can fit all our gear in the back with a trail-a-bike folded in the back our our bikes on the roof. Still have room in back. Great ski car too. Would definitely buy another 9-5 wagon, but would get a 1-2 year old Aero due to the MAJOR depreciation factor. But that is true of any car these days since there are so many incentives on new cars. Don't let anyone fool you on car repairs. ALL brands are expensive to repair for any kind of maintenance or body work. However the 9-5 scored exceptionally well in having little damage in low speed collisions. I can attest to that personally. My wife was rear ended in the 9-5 several years ago at a 10-15 mph collision in traffic. She was stopped and the car behind her was not paying attention. Nothing happend to her or my son. The total damage to the rear bumper was around $475-525.00 Suprised the heck out of me. I was expecting much more.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Zebulon said:
I'm on my Third....Second Aero. Current car is a Black '03 Aero with '05 Front Fascia....If someone leaves me a ton of money, I'll buy an '08 CTS...if not, my next car will be a modded '03 of another color......I love the car...it looks like no other......Zebulon
Zeb, I agree, those '08 CTS's are gorgeous cars, not to mention their ad campaign is brilliant. I love the line "The real question is, when you turn on your car, does it return the favor?" Absolutely a great tag-line.

Seeing as how the 9-5 is the best all-round car I have found, I would definately buy another one! I'm even more excited that the new Saabs will be on the XWD platform and continue to be turbo'd. I think GM buying Saab was a great purchase and to be honest, probably saved Saab's life. The new 9-3 is great, and I'm predicting the new 9-5 will be just as good if not better! :cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am only a recent Saab owner, I got my first Saab 3 years ago it is a 2000 9-5 wagon. I didn't want to get a wagon but with the family we needed some more room in the car. I love the way it drives, and feels, I have had some expensive trips to the shop, but I have never fixed anything twice, and everything that needed fixing was expected with the milage on the car.

I would buy another one, but I would also look at the 9-3 Sport Combi. I have not looked at it to much so I do not know the features on the car or the space available, but I would get either the 9-3 Sport Combi or the 9-5 Sport Combi.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Zebulon said:
Thanks very much for all the responses everyone. It is comforting to see that people who own the car are happy with it. That's always a good sign.

Regarding the question of buying new versus one that is a year or two old, that is one of the points that we are stuck on as well. Clearly, I would prefer to have someone else take the hit for having driven it off the lot. However, we do not have two cars. Our current one is getting quite old and approaching the stage where we do not trust it for long trips. Also, my wife and kids will be using this car more than I will so reliability is the main reason we are going through this process. We want something solid for their daily commute to a from school and for our long family trips.

We have had this circular discussion a few times. If we are even considering another car so that we get something more realiable, then why not buy a new one? However you can save money by buying one used, but you have that small risk that it was not cared for well and the reliability we seek may not be there.

We've decided to take a look at what a 1 or 2 year old 9-5 might go for so that we can see what discount we would get in our market here in Toronto. Also, we expect that there will be pressure for new car prices to continue to come down over the next two to three months. Toyota/Lexus just announced rebates that range from $4,000 to $12,000 to stop the flow of Canadians going to buy their cars in the US. I can wait a month or two to see what other manufacturers do. I am also told that February is a better time to buy new as their tend to be more deals available at that time of year for some reason.

Thanks again for all your input!

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
JD_Gang said:
I've been told that if I want a higher quality wagon model, that I should look at the BMW 328 wagon. But it has much less space in the second row for the kids and I understand that BMW maintenance is not cheap either when it is needed.

Well, a 328 might be "higher quality" in terms of fit & finish, rattles, overall driving experience, etc. but I wouldn't count on it having any fewer repair issues than a 9-5. It's also way smaller and probably more money as well. But you get that sweet inline 6 and BMW handling.

Especially in Toronto where you have a wide choice of dealers and independent techs (eg. Beacon Motors) I'd have no trouble going with a 9-5 for your application (sounds just like mine). I'm in Winnipeg so mostly have to service mine myself.

Get one a year or two old so you can get all the niggles that the previous owner missed fixed on warranty - then find yourself a good indy and keep the maintenance up to date and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
On my 2nd as well..

AND...

woywitka said:
Fuel economy should be very low on your list of concerns. Even if you get a car with 3-4MPG less, you are not saving grave amounts of money in the end. SOme people spend an extra $4K on a car that gets better fuel economy to save $2K over the 5 years they own the car.

... boy maybe you want to care about your carbon footprint.

woywitka said:
It is more of a marketing gimmick, and considering fuel in N. America is cheap,
for now, you are assuming a static price of fuel

·
Registered
527 Posts
In answer to your question YES. In fact I just have.

My previous wagon was a highly reliable car. I thinks it's the best looking wagon on the road.
My new 'airflow' is a saloon, it is such a lovely place to be.
It makes going to work bearable (ie the drive there and back!!)
P

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
paolo said:
My new 'airflow' is a saloon, it is such a lovely place to be.
It makes going to work bearable (ie the drive there and back!!)
P
Isn't that the truth! I love the commute to work and back! :cool:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts