SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering painting my brake calipers blue, but only if I can match them to the blue in the emblems. Thanks for any info or advice!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Or red if anyone knows what would match the red in the emblem; Otherwise, I will just paint them black. The car is a polar white linear, so it has alot of black in the trim already.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
For what it's worth, I have a polar white car and I did my calipers in gloss black. Because of the shadows from the wheels, they don't really pop out at your eye, but they do look much cleaner and classier.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For what it's worth, I have a polar white car and I did my calipers in gloss black. Because of the shadows from the wheels, they don't really pop out at your eye, but they do look much cleaner and classier.
Loochy--do you have any pics to give me an idea?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Loochy--do you have any pics to give me an idea?
Here you go. They are just nice, solid, and clean with no bling.

The real reason I went with black, though, is because I want everything on my car to be either black or white. I want to smoke the tail lights and get the e-code strips. I already bought some black griffin emblems and center caps. :p

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is very sporty and classy at the same time.....What I am looking for:). How did you paint the saab lettering and did you use polar white?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
G2 caliper paint. Don't paint them blue or red. PLEASE GOD DON'T PAINT THEM BLUE OR RED!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
G2 caliper paint. Don't paint them blue or red. PLEASE GOD DON'T PAINT THEM BLUE OR RED!
:lol: No worries, black it is and definitely with G2.....Duplicolor is too light in color and does not seem to hold the shine.? Already ordered the decals in white.....Guess I will have to copy Loochy.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I painted mine Blue with the duplicolor brush-on Caliper paint kit. I am in need of rotating my tires soon and I will take a picture of the painted calipers then with one of the wheel emblems for reference. I'll probably do it Wednesday night.

I did the front and back calipers at the same time. However, I used the OEM Dusty-as-hell pads and rotors so the dust was REALLY bad. it more or less ruined my front calipers and I need to do them again. But the rear calipers still look great and I painted them a year ago. I have recently put on ceramic pads on the front and the dust is finally gone. I think once I repaint them this time I will be good to go.

BTW, if you go with the duplicolor calpier paint kit (Brush-on style), there is enough paint to do probably 5 cars, if not more. I was scared to do the spray-on stuff, and I figured I could be more meticulous with the paint brush.

Here is a quick pic I just snapped with the phone, the paint really isn't this bright.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
When you do paint them, use some super strong degreaser/cleaner to get off any grease or dirt and make sure to scrub the hell out of the calipers to get ALL dust and rust out of the little pits. I think the stuff included with the G2 kit is just some carburetor cleaner, for what it's worth.

Also, if you get G2, there is enough in the can to do a lot of coats...I think I put 6 coats on mine. The extra coats filled in the little pits and mold lines in the caliper metal and made them extra smooth and glossy looking.

Everything is much easier if you take the caliper completely off.

Be super careful when you are putting the caliper spring back on. It's super hard to do without scratching your fancy new paint. My dad decided to be helpful by putting on some of the springs for me before the paint completely hardened and I have nice gashes on 2 of the calipers. I haven't had time to go touch up the spots yet. They aren't really visible, but I'm a perfectionist.

Don't rush the job or it won't turn out like you want.

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When you do paint them, use some super strong degreaser/cleaner to get off any grease or dirt and make sure to scrub the hell out of the calipers to get ALL dust and rust out of the little pits. I think the stuff included with the G2 kit is just some carburetor cleaner, for what it's worth.

Also, if you get G2, there is enough in the can to do a lot of coats...I think I put 6 coats on mine. The extra coats filled in the little pits and mold lines in the caliper metal and made them extra smooth and glossy looking.

Everything is much easier if you take the caliper completely off.

Be super careful when you are putting the caliper spring back on. It's super hard to do without scratching your fancy new paint. My dad decided to be helpful by putting on some of the springs for me before the paint completely hardened and I have nice gashes on 2 of the calipers. I haven't had time to go touch up the spots yet. They aren't really visible, but I'm a perfectionist.

Don't rush the job or it won't turn out like you want.
I am a bit of a perfectionist too, so I appreciate your advice. What didyou use to remove and reinstall the caliper springs?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I am a bit of a perfectionist too, so I appreciate your advice. What didyou use to remove and reinstall the caliper springs?
Needlenose pliers, my hands, a rag (to prevent scratching...I wish my dad would have used one too), and plenty of brute force.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts