SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, I have a 9-5, but engine is bad, and I was offered $2,000 trade in value towards a 1997 900 cabrio- (priced at $4500- meaning I pay $2500 and my 9-5) it has 143,000 miles, think its worth it? I was not impessed by the reliability of the 9-5 (although sludge issues propably got it bad) and want this car to last, what should I look for and any tips? thanks

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Study our FAQ on used cars...

With so little info given, any advice would be worthless...:cheesy:

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Their info is much better than mine, Dude, I tend to be judgmental, opinionated and overly philosophical..

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
a used engine would be $2,000 then many many hours of an expensive mechanic, not to mention it would need new hoses, wies, etc: stuff you dont think about that would break after being in a hot engine bay for 8 years

·
Registered
353 Posts
at 143k the DIC should have been replaced already, so no real need to worry there. You are creeping up on a timing chain replacement if it hasn't already been done. CPS, fuel pump, and alternator are all things I would check first.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
$2,500 to trade down 2 years ?
Engine or no; this is not good.
If the body is nice and the transmission good, go for a true factory rebuilt engine (if there is any such thing)....
That way, you know what you have...

·
Registered
94 Posts
It really depends on the person that own the 1997 before you. If they where a slob then that car might be worse. If they took care of the car there might be a few problems.

We all know a slob when we see them. A history report might be in order.

Slobs are people who forget or dont take care of them selfs or stuff they use. Everything to Cars, computer and there own life.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
You know all the history of your 9-5. Do you know all the history of the 900??

At that mileage expect to replace the CPS, Fuel Pump, some electronics. The clutch is probably due. When was the suspension changed last?

Was the radiator changed? Turbo? Those are expensive items that break very often at that mileage.

Were those replaced? If unknown factor the price of replacement in the purchase price.

I think that a 9-5 is worh more than a 900. A good rebuild of your T7 engine as well as an upgraded PCV system will correct the problem.

May I ask why you're not replacing the engine at the dealer under warranty? They extended the sludge warranty to 8 years unlimited mileage. Unless you don't have regular maintenance records you should get it fixed free of charge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts