SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently started dating a girl whose dad works on transmissions and engines for a living. Has a shop and all in Arizona. He says my turbo could be the least of my problems. Considering I have never seen the turbo that came off the car, I really have no idea what happened to it. I just have to take the previous owners word on it.

The previous owner says he sent it in to have it refurbished so it would last another 100k or so. Apparently it was lost in the mail or something, he didn't get it back and after 3 months decided to call it quits and sell it.

But my girlfriends father says it may have completely went out and into the engine and there could be pieces of the turbo that shot in the engine and created a whole hell of a mess. He told me it could be quite expensive, but didn't mention any prices.

My question is, if there's pieces IN the engine, what am I looking at? How bad could it be?
I'm getting a mechanic to the car Sunday morning to install the turbo. He also said he'd check out the rest of the car for any issues for no extra charge.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
what makes him think the turbo disintegrated? have the other guy drop the sump and look for pieces. if you are that worried about it don't drive it until you've checked there. weird; pulling a turbo for a refurbish does not necessarily mean that it blew up.
i'd go with the second opinion...

·
Banned
1,042 Posts
The intercooler will have collected any debris including motor oil. You can pull the hose off on the IC on the passengers side to inspect for debris.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
It would absolutely AMAZE me if pieces from your turbocharger make it into your engine. If it were from the exhaust side, they'd have to travel upstream vertically and somehow make it to the exhaust valves (highly unlikely). If they were from the intake side they'd have to make it through a variety of pipes and the intercooler- impossible.

There really is zero danger of this happening. The real danger for SAABs is sludge. The sludge threat for your 2001 9-5 is real. You should drop the sump (oil pan) to clean it of junk). The sludge is bad, but it can ruin your engine when it gets sucked up into the oil pick up tube screen and plugs it. When it plugs the screen your engine is robbed of oil pressure and then bearings fail.

Drop your sump. Clean it. Change the oil regularly with full synthetic and this car will take great care of you.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
It would absolutely AMAZE me if pieces from your turbocharger make it into your engine. If it were from the exhaust side, they'd have to travel upstream vertically and somehow make it to the exhaust valves (highly unlikely). If they were from the intake side they'd have to make it through a variety of pipes and the intercooler- impossible.

There really is zero danger of this happening. The real danger for SAABs is sludge. The sludge threat for your 2001 9-5 is real. You should drop the sump (oil pan) to clean it of junk). The sludge is bad, but it can ruin your engine when it gets sucked up into the oil pick up tube screen and plugs it. When it plugs the screen your engine is robbed of oil pressure and then bearings fail.

Drop your sump. Clean it. Change the oil regularly with full synthetic and this car will take great care of you.
well said

1 - 6 of 6 Posts