SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

ok, I have been busy inspecting my car, slowly seviceing it and taking it for runs.

I have started to notice a slight metalic rattle under hard acceleration from the engine bay.

Basically I am worried that the Turbo may have issues. However, its well, and normally.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No idea about engine pinging? Whats that? is there another name for it?

It only happens at full boost, never at any other time. UIts intermitant as well.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
pinging=knock=detonation=badness! Could be what you're hearing...is there a loss in power when it happens? Have you tested your vacuum retard capsule to ensure timing is retarding under boost?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No power loss at all, though I will double check. I havent tested anything yet.

It sounds more like a small metallic jingle, like some small pieve of thin metal is stripping or not getting lubricated while moving.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
jefspg said:
I wonder if the turbo heat sheild is loose and rubbing against the turbo.
I was thinking, though, that something loose and vibrating would be worse at low rpm/high load situations (where the engine really shakes around) as opposed to high rpm/high load, but just a guess.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I'm still thinking pinging, also called early detenation or engine knock. It is a very light metalic knocking when under load. If this is it you are litterally hearing your pistons being slammed when they should not be. It will only happen when the engine is under load, often gets worse when the engine is warm.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
dasander said:
I'm still thinking pinging, also called early detenation or engine knock. It is a very light metalic knocking when under load. If this is it you are litterally hearing your pistons being slammed when they should not be. It will only happen when the engine is under load, often gets worse when the engine is warm.
But if he was getting detonation he'd be seeing at least some sort of reduction in power when the explosions try and force the pistons backwards on their upstroke...

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TheRedBaron said:
But if he was getting detonation he'd be seeing at least some sort of reduction in power when the explosions try and force the pistons backwards on their upstroke...
I like the sound of this though. It makes sense, plus I need to say,this is my first T16 FPT, and the thing is so fast, I might not spot any reduction in power especially when I am about to change gear. (unless its really bad)

I have another thread about it stalling after hard acceleration,

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115251

Could these be realated?

I have so far changed the Air filter, rotor arm and Dist Cap, and the oil and sparks should be today. I wanted to get the default service out of the way before any true inspection started.

·
Registered
888 Posts
IF the APC system is not totally malfunctining, you can see the turbo needle jiggle and swing back when the engine is pinging. If the apc system is working CORRECTLY, the engine will not ping at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts