SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, my 1997 9-5 has started producting a rattling sound when using 50% or more throttle in low rpm (1500-3500 rpm)

Let's say I turn out of a corner in 2nd and press the throttle, the car accellerates fine, but from the right-hand-side of the car (sitting in the drivers seat) I can hear a fairly loud metallic rattle.

It happens just about every time, but I accellerate similarly, but from 3500rpm upwards, there is no rattle.

Any hints? If anyone says timing chain, I will personally hunt you down... that's not a repair I can afford at the moment! :(

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
A roll in timming chain is a much more cost effective option. My Saab Mechanic uses only roll in chains, he has never had a trouble with one breaking.:cool:

I think the price difference is about 80%

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
woywitka said:
A roll in timming chain is a much more cost effective option. My Saab Mechanic uses only roll in chains, he has never had a trouble with one breaking.:cool:

I think the price difference is about 80%

Interesting - Don't suppose you could find out a brand and model number, etc. for me to pass on to my own mechanic?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
The split chain is an option, but your car would rattle at idle too if it was the chain.

Its a cheaper job as the engine can stay in the car but you cant change / inspect all the guides etc doing it this way.

Is the oil / filter nice and fresh, any sludge signs - oil starvation could cause a noisey top end :confused:

·
Registered
398 Posts
Have you checked for loose heatshields, exhaust (flex joint), etc.?
BTW, I have a "rolled in" timing chain and it is fine. You can also do the tensioner extension test to diagnose a stretched/worn chain. Mine was 18mm (end of stroke). The timing chain procedure is posted on Alldata. I second the idle noise comment, especially for the first few seconds of operation from cold start.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Mine has started on friday, was going to ask some advice. The difference is the rattle I have is it's constant and seems to eminate from the rocker cover, across the top of the engine, sounds like tappets. Could it be Sludge? I'm coiming up on 130K and due a service.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
MikeFitz said:
Mine has started on friday, was going to ask some advice. The difference is the rattle I have is it's constant and seems to eminate from the rocker cover, across the top of the engine, sounds like tappets. Could it be Sludge? I'm coiming up on 130K and due a service.
Yes it could be. I would get your sumped dropped and cleaned along with the oil strainer as soon as you can. Shouldn't be too expensive of a job and is well worth it. You probably have caught it early enough that it didn't do much damage if any.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
MikeFitz said:
The difference is the rattle I have is it's constant and seems to eminate from the rocker cover, across the top of the engine, sounds like tappets.
The timing chain is in there too.

·
Registered
364 Posts
So, can someone explain the difference in sounds of a timing chain going bad or the engine not getting enough oil/lacking pressure? I have, what I would call, a slight ticking sound coming from the engine area. Nothing very loud, but if I turn the radio off or roll down the window I can hear it. I guess sounds are pretty hard to describe, but is there a difference between a timing chain going bad or just a ticking in the engine?

Also, I've got the V6 so I don't think I should be too worried about sludge. I change the oil every 3k and use full synthetic. However, I'm just not sure if my sound is just from having a higher milleage engine or if something is wrong. 103k miles.

Thanks

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
crosseye said:
Also, I've got the V6 so I don't think I should be too worried about sludge.

Thanks
You dont have a chain on your car :nono;

Fuel injectors do make a ticking noise :confused:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
You dont have a chain on your car :nono;

Fuel injectors do make a ticking noise :confused:
Paranoia gets the best of me. I swear if this was a board about disease, and someone started listing symptoms, I believe I would start to think I have whatever it is they're talking about.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts