SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So, as my quest to tear apart my Saab's fuel leak continues, I realize what may also be contributing to my car's fuel smell. There are two lines going over the fuel tank, but under the trunk floor, so they aren't easily accessible. One of these is the fuel return line, the other is the breather hose (or overfill hose, idk). The return line's hole is the one closest to the fuel pump opening, while the breather hose's hole is closer to the fuel level sender (the hole itself is on an angle).

The grommets for these holes are identical. But he problem is, the bottom half of them appears to have completely worn off. As I was doing fuel pump work, I noticed that the fuel return line's connection was totally popped out of its hole, allowing vapors to escape. Turns out the bottom half of the grommet was totally disintegrated. Unable to access it easily, I lowered the fuel tank and was able to pull the return line out through the fuel level sender access hole. As I was fiddling around, I saw that the breather line was out of its hole, revealing that the lower half of its grommet was also totally disintegrated.

The big question is, where can I get these grommets? I went to EVERY auto parts store in town and found nothing (at least nothing in front of the desk...who knows if they have them in the back). I figure I may just superglue or bond what's left of the grommets to the top of the tank and just pop their connectors back in.

As you can see, the part number on the grommet is 832565, but good luck doing a Google search of that. :roll:

Any advice?

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Superglue wont work - nothing will except an original or equal fuel resistant rubber... go to a wreckers and get a replacement, To this day I haven't found a replacement sold new - stock up on as many as you can lay hands on at wreckers, the later models used a different system and eliminated the rubber grommet completely... In a number of years when there is no more grommets left we will have to swap out the tank and all the fuel lines and gas tank filler hose etc to fit in with the new type which eliminates the grommet... Until that day HOARD HOARD HOARD ;)

there could actually be replacement grommets, unlikely but let me know if you find them!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, call me optimistic, but there must be some kind of DIY way to plug this... Swapping a whole fuel tank for two small grommets seems radical. In fact, kinda crazy. Not that I wouldn't mind putting this issue to a close with a better tank, but I need my car soon, it's my daily driver.

Gotta love Saabs. By the way, it's an 84 900 Turbo.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Did a search on the Saabsite database search for 832565.
It came up with a 8325656 bushing for $9.52, but no description. Maybe call them and see if they know if that applies to what you need, and if it's available.

One problem I see is with the return line the fitting would have to be replaced or removed to get the bushing on. Or does the return hose not have anything on the end of it? I'm also wondering if the PVC bushing Eeuropart #7515208 may help since it's longer. Hard to say without comparing the sizes, but at $1.49 it'd be worth a try. I've had Eeuro send me small parts like that in the mail for the cost of postage to avoid the freight charges.

Or: http://www.hordagruppen.com/engelsk/fordon_ovrigt.php

[email protected]

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting finds, white65. I'm going to try my luck at my local mom n' pop hardware store tomorrow... They're great at solving problems like this and making little jerryrigged doohickys. Only problem is they're closed on Sundays. :cry:

Will post again when/if I rectify this situation!

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
You need a solvent hydrocarbon resistant rubber for the grommet, you CANNOT use a normal grommet it will rot well within a month... To try would be foolish and allow more rubber to fall into your tank...

I was mentioning in the future that that will be the only course of action, The saabsite is probably the 1 exception and probably the most likely place to find a saab specific fitting. You will find those fuel resistant rubber grommets at other locations. I was offering a quick fix, and only mentioned the fuel tank swap as an option that will probably be most likely in the future when spares are no longer available.

Read my post again - I mentioned your first course of action to be at the wrecking yard. It is sound advice, and not all rubber grommets deteriorate at the same speed...

Or you can do your own thing, I was only providing sound assistance and information for the exact problem I had 6 months ago...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see what you were saying about the tank, S900t8v... Sorry if I came off a bit rude there. Your advice is very much appreciated. ;ol;

So, at which other locations on the car can I find these fuel resistant grommets? I could check this one junkyard in town that has an old Saab lying around.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
In the fuel tank region - As this is the only location rubber components are exposed to fuel.

You may find similar grommets at a marine equipment store, boating engine applications use a lot of fuel resistant rummer grommets... I cant remember but there is a code for rubbers used that are petrochemical proof.

Best chance is finding one out of a pre 1986/7 model 900 as I think all of these before these years have rubber grommets... Again sketchy information as this was a while ago.

·
Premium Member
11,587 Posts
Hard to tell on a mobile phone screen, but there doesn't seem to be anythinf missing from the one in the photo. There's not supposed to be more than the one shoulder.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

I found these grommets at the hardware store today. I'm pretty sure they're neoprene. They fit well with the help of some WD-40, but will they not stand up to gasoline as S900t8v said?

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Hard to tell on a mobile phone screen, but there doesn't seem to be anythinf missing from the one in the photo. There's not supposed to be more than the one shoulder.
No they have 2 shoulders, I pulled one out of a wreck, not quite as steep shouldered as the one in the photo but close...

without that shoulder the weight of the breather hose pulls it straight out of the tank - as the OP is experiencing...

I don't know you can try neoprene, I know it's used in oil applications, not sure about Petrol... Wow you've found one thats awesome, I should have said, you won't find one in Australia ;)

Give it a go I guess!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I found these grommets at the hardware store today. I'm pretty sure they're neoprene. They fit well with the help of some WD-40, but will they not stand up to gasoline as S900t8v said?
Submerge it in a jar of gasoline for a while and see what happens. Without knowing the actual specifications of the material, it would be impossible to guess how it will hold up.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I won't be working on the car tonight as I'll be too busy with homework and the Butler game (go Butler!), so I've left the other grommet in a cup of gasoline to see how it does overnight, as mmoe suggested.

In the meantime, here's a picture of how the new grommet looks in the tank...It fits just perfectly. The ID of the hole is a bit small, but with some WD-40 and playing around, the connector fits in great. I hope this material holds up well against the gasoline. If these grommets don't prove to be fuel resistant, my backup plan would be to put this product called "goop" on the old grommet and essentially weld it onto the tank. The guys at my awesome local hardware store said its this insanely strong stuff. The guy said he stuck a wooden dowel to something steel and they were nearly impossible to yank apart!

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Good idea with the gasoline

Good idea in theory with the Goop, but petrol is a powerful solvent and most glues and things are actually dissolved by it, It would have to be a specific glue, again buy the glue and try it in contact with petrol - Or you can just try it as an application, but I would be careful as you don't want dissolved glue running through your fuel lines and up to the engine bay... Not always likely but entirely possible.

Not trying to shut down ideas, just trying to provide thought about a very tricky problem to solve regarding your car!

Good luck!

Again I would be looking at obtaining a good second hand grommet if your new grommet doesn't hold up and you can't find a suitable solvent resistant rubber to replace the original. Its better to replace with a known good fix even if it is old than fabricating your own one...

Up to you though, just tryin to help and save you time and frustration as I have been down the same road ;)

·
Registered
12,942 Posts
There's not supposed to be more than the one shoulder.
Listen to this guy. He knows what he's talking about.
I've replaced a hundred of them. You put the grommet in place first, the fitting expands the grommet. Looking at the picture, the one you took out appears to be intact and re-usable.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No problem, S900t8v, I don't mind any healthy skepticism. However, in this case with applying the Goop, most of the bonding would take place between the underside of the grommet's top flap and the outside of the tank. I don't think that spot would be too susceptible to fuel, would it?

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
In short probably not -

I just have experience of doing things a different way, sometimes jerry rigging will work, but in most cases it's a better long term fix to opt for the proper replacement, in this case if you can't find a new suitable grommet I would find an old one out of a wreck, a Known good fix and not all rubber is created equal.

But I'm doing what forums are for, offering advice, you pursue your own path it does not worry me :)

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
I've replaced a hundred of them. You put the grommet in place first, the fitting expands the grommet. Looking at the picture, the one you took out appears to be intact and re-usable.
I think you're mistaken Jim, I take a photo of a good one this afternoon It is an original Saab part - and post the picture up...

If Im wrong I'm happy to admit, but I replaced with one out of an 86 model and it has a larger lip than the one shown, half of the one shown has decayed and fallen into the tank, I know because it looks exactly the same as mine

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for your input too, Jim. One of my first reactions when I saw the grommet pop out was that there should have been a bottom half, as the bottom of the grommet looked a bit frayed and worn out. But I never officially confirmed that, except from S900t8v.

So, while everything is all out and taken apart, is it safe to use the new neoprene double sided grommet that I bought or should I just use the old grommet and not worry about it? But even when I pop the connector back in with the old grommet, the line is still quite easy to pop back out. For instance, when bending the hard fuel return line in the tank to attach it to the supply reservoir around the pump, that movement by itself can cause the grommet and connector to pop out of the hole.

I like the differing views, we can learn a lot from this. :cheesy:

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
The grommet is too narrow - there is no body there for it to bulge up if it Didn't have a lip when you put the plastic return line connector inside the grommet then how would it stay in?

Think about the grommets in the intake manifold they have a lip on the inside to hold them in. IF the grommet was fine and it was still usable then it wouldn't have fallen out, it has obviously broken in half and fallen into the tank... In addition the OP would not be searching for a replacement if that grommet was in working order, and making the comment that it doesn't sit in tight, mine is a struggle to pull out without some extra leverage.

I will take a photo in 3 hours when I'm home from Uni and prove it and provide an example of what a GOOD grommet looks like. IF I am somehow mistaken then I will apologise for being incorrect and bow out of the conversation :)

Yes I'd say you can use that grommet in the meantime, the discussion was just relating to Neoprene perhaps not being suitable rubber to withstand petrochemical degredation (most rubbers are not hence warnings about using grease to install control arm bushings etc etc) It will last but perhaps only a couple of weeks or months...

Perhaps Neoprene is good enough - Just google Neoprene petrochemical suitability or something similar

1 - 20 of 34 Posts