SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 is skipping (P0304) after only about a week with a new DIC. It was starting to have occasional starting probs too. The skipping #4 cylinder started just after I changed the plugs today. I replaced the NGKs with the same ones. I'm thinking it's the new DIC ( it a genuine saab DIC) but don't have an extra one I can swap out just now. ( at least til my wife gets home with the 'vert) Is it Ok to pop in a red DIC, just to see if it is still skipping?

·
Registered
9,358 Posts
I wouldn't use a red DIC.

Spark plugs can be faulty. It is suspicious that this happened right after you installed the plugs. I would go back and pull the #4 plug and inspect carefully. Even if there's nothing obviously wrong, I would either reinstall one of the old plugs that looks okay, or swap 4 and another cylinder to see if the misfire moves.

Also, carefully look at the DIC terminals, especially for #4.

·
Premium Member
11,182 Posts
I wouldn't use a red DIC. . . It is suspicious that this happened right after you installed the plugs. I would go back and pull the #4 plug and inspect carefully. Even if there's nothing obviously wrong, I would either reinstall one of the old plugs that looks okay, or swap 4 and another cylinder to see if the misfire moves.

Also, carefully look at the DIC terminals, especially for #4.
;ol;;ol;;ol;
Everything Ed said. And double check the plug gaps. Carefully inspect the plug's ceramic insulator for hairline cracks. Use a healthy gob of dielectric grease inside the boots. And finally, look inside the boot of number 4 especially and make sure the metal spring contact is still in there. They go missing sometimes, when you aren't looking.

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
A black DIC is always preferred (or so I've heard, but I'll leave that up to a personal decision). But in a pinch a red DIC will do (a red DIC is better than no DIC) just not for a long period of time, be warned you may not be fully protected when using a red DIC.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ding, ding, ding: we have a winner. Saaboheme!

I found a spring on the driveway near the car. It must have popped out when uninstalling the DIC for the spark plug change. Good call on that, Saaboheme! I have never had that happen before.

By the way, I was not asking about driving it with a wrong DIC, just about installing it (as a known working DIC) to check the running condition of the car and determine if my new DIC was faulty.

I dropped in my blue DIC to try it out. For the record, it started and ran fine- idling in the driveway that is. And it sure looked purty too!

The spring is back in, new DIC running great and even a bit more peppy with the new DIC, plugs (and recent turbo). Thanks all!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts