SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's always been a chore to get the dial gauge set up to measure run out of rotors and wheels... no good place to stick it, even with the magnetic / adjustable base. Sitting it on the ground always means that it moves around a bit (although you can stick it to a free-weight and it's more stable, if the ground is flat).

But at last: I came up with a mount that is solid, stable, easily movable, and fully height adjustable!

Editor's note, slightly off topic: Realized rotor doesn't actually turn with all the studs in. You need nuts on them to shorten them up, or a set of short bolts.

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
Clever! I have one from Harbor Freight that has a clamp mount. I attach it to either a strut bolt (on the 9-5) or a caliper bolt (on the NG900). I haven't used it much, but it did help to fix a vibration in the front left of one of my 9-5s. The rotor was slightly out of spec, but a few pieces of aluminum foil between two of the bolt holes fixed it right up.

·
Registered
17,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
STEEL JACK!!! ARE YOU SUPERMAN???
Yes, but regardless, I'm not holding it up steadily with one hand while spinning the rotor with the other :)

Clever! I have one from Harbor Freight that has a clamp mount. ...
Same one, but I can never get as solid as I like no matter when I put it. The caliper based works for rotors, but not for hubs or wheels. Maybe the carrier mount would work for hub although I think you need a third arm on the mount to get to the outside surface. Haven't tried.

Caliper mounted IS a better choice in front when you can use it since the wheels can move and that kills accuracy. I haven't quite figured out how to lock the steering rods or struts in tight although I'm sure it can be done. I've taken to measuring wheels on a rear hub to avoid the issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts