SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
04 9-3. So the other nights I was back in to my driveway coming from the store and the car shut off after that it would only crank so I changed the CPS and got a reader and it says it's the CPS again the on board message center says traction control failure and stabilizer failure C dealer the only problem I Bever had.

·
Super Moderator
20,203 Posts
Sounds like it didn't get fully seated or connector didn't. Did you buy the cheapest one available?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just ordered one from autozone.. i honestly don't know if I got it all the way push in before I put the 10mm bolt in.. I just figured it would seat all the way once the bolt was tight... I'm going to take some more stuff off so I can get to it better.. it didnt just pull out like I read.. it was a *****! So I very well could have not got it all the way in.. I've put to readers on it and both say the same thing. I will try it again.. should I order another new one or just take it out and put it back on, making sure it's all the way in?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
The distance between the CPS and rotating reluctor wheel inside the engine is critical. Do you remember if the o-ring came off with the old CPS? If it didn't it may be stuck inside the hole and keep the CPS too far away. You may have to remove the new one to check - there should only be one o-ring on the CPS shaft and nothing in the engine. Also make sure the o-ring is well-lubed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No.. just removed the plug for the fan and squeezed in from the top.. prob jack it up this time and go from the starter. I will prob be able to do it less than 2 hours this time and not have all the cuts on my hands reopened lol. Do I need to disconnect anything or just unbolt it and prop it up somewhere? Obviously wasnt able to physically see while putting the sensor in, so that could very well be my problem..

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Disconnect battery first. Remove starter wires and take it off completely. Wires to starter aren’t long so disconnect heavy cable and smaller wires from their terminals - not sure but think they're 13mm and 10mm. Starter is held on by two bolts: top and bottom near front. They’re external torx bolts but a 12 pt socket will work if you don’t have E sockets.

Google 2004 or later Saab 9-3 CPS removal. You’ll see a few videos which should help you visualize it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really hope that's the problem.. I dont recall seeing a o ring or anything else on it. I made sure it was clean before I put it in. I remember seeing green or orange around the plug area but nothing separate on the shaft of the sensor.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Before you tear into it again...if you can see (maybe with a mirror?) or feel the base of the CPS, is it flush against the block? Again, the distance that the tip of the CPS is from the reluctor wheel is important. The wheel inside the engine is like a magnet and it causes a pulse in the CPS. That pulse is what tells the ECU when to fire the ignition coils among other things.

Also, if you have access to an ohmmeter, resistance between the two terminals should be 860+/- 90 ohms.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate all the input! I have since fixed the problem.. the CPS wasn't completely in. But after going from underneath, I was able to fix it pretty easily. Should have taken the starter off the first time and saved myself a few hours! It Started :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts