SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought a 1999 9-3. For the most part it runs fine, usually starts up right away. BUT when it's parked on a slope, either facing up or down, it does not start. it cranks - the starter motor works, but does not catch. If it rolls down or is towed to a level place, after a while it will start (but not right away). I have brought it to a mechanic who can't figure it out. He thinks it isn't the fuel pump. There's about a half a tank in it.Before I bought it, the car had been sitting for several years, I think (the registration sticker expired in 2016!). could it be water in the tank or fuel line? any other ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another odd thing, possibly a symptom: when I'm on a highway, accelerating hard, around 50-60 mph, the motor dropped out, rpms went way down. It lasts only less than a second, then back to normal. this only happened a couple of times, and doesn't when I accelerate more gently.
When you're accelerating it feels like you're on a slope (Physics), after all.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Another odd thing, possibly a symptom: when I'm on a highway, accelerating hard, around 50-60 mph, the motor dropped out, rpms went way down. It lasts only less than a second, then back to normal.
That's possibly a failing or loose Camshaft Position Sensor. Its on front of engine block, right hand side, lower. I had exactly these symptoms with a B204-engined 900NG after changing the CPS during regular maintenance, because the grommet from the old CPS had stayed in the mounting hole (pulled off the CPS as I removed it) and was keeping the new CPS just a millimetre or two further from the rotating camshaft wheel than it ought to have been to reg a reliable signal

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This CPS being lose refers to the dropout when I';m accelerating, not the not starting on the slope, right?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts