SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after spending way more $$ than I should have on repairing the convertible's top retraction system, I asked the mechanic to run it through the emission testing so that I can get tabs. After a painfully long wait while they attempted to diagnose the issue, they finally informed me that the meters aren't working properly and it will fail emissions as soon as they turn the car off. The option presented was a new ECU at just shy of $900.

Umm, that's probably literally about half the value of the vehicle!!

So, I am picking it up today (it works, it drives, etc., I just can't license it because it won't pass the random inspection!) and I am hoping you guys can guide me to a reputable ECU repair service or a source for a replacement ECU.

The part numbers are: Saab # 4780540 is the box in car, supersedes to # 4904298 and the Bosch # 0261204401

Help! I really want to use the thing ONCE this year before winter settles upon us.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
When you get the car back, check the pins on the OBDII connector under the steerwheel. My guess is that one or more pins have been pushed back or are bent in the connector... Ron

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you get the car back, check the pins on the OBDII connector under the steerwheel. My guess is that one or more pins have been pushed back or are bent in the connector... Ron
So you think the OBDII connector where they plug in is the issue?

After the car is driven for 30 minutes or so they hooked up the diagnosis tool and said it passes but the problem is that it will fail after they turn it off and back on because the meters all reset. You still think it would be the pins on the connector?

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Ok, that's a little different. It sounds like the battery (or ground) to the ECU disconnects instead of remaining on when the ignition is turned off. You might be able to get around that by manually connecting battery & ground to the ECU with jumpers to get through testing. I don't have my schematics with me, so I can't tell you which pins on the ECU connector nees battery and ground... Ron

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, that's a little different. It sounds like the battery (or ground) to the ECU disconnects instead of remaining on when the ignition is turned off. You might be able to get around that by manually connecting battery & ground to the ECU with jumpers to get through testing. I don't have my schematics with me, so I can't tell you which pins on the ECU connector nees battery and ground... Ron
Ohhh that would be an awesome solution.. Any chance you could tell me more or the details when you get near your schematics again?

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
I won't be home until Tuesday night. Maybe someone else has the schematics. If they do, I would run it through a switch so you could turn it on for inspection and off after inspection... Ron

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
So you think the OBDII connector where they plug in is the issue?

After the car is driven for 30 minutes or so they hooked up the diagnosis tool and said it passes but the problem is that it will fail after they turn it off and back on because the meters all reset. You still think it would be the pins on the connector?
Yes, it could be pushed in pins, this happens with ham handed hackers (mechanics?).
This is a visual examination, takes a minute or two.
I cannot say that I trust these hackers.
An ECU simply does not operate that way.
The ECU is always ON, pin 18, pink/white, thru fuse 28..
But, for all I know, this may be an independent circuit for memory only.
There are many grounds.
Haynes 12-27.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts