SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive recently had trouble with my Saab. Its a 1990 Saab 900s Auto. tranny. And the problem is it wont go in reverse at all. Even if i put it in neutral i cant push it backwards. I have no idea what the problem is and any help at all would make me eternally grateful thank you.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Welcome!

You should search the forums, as this topic has been discussed before. Not sure it it relates to your problem, but worth a shot! Seems like maybe a connecting rod is loose or something, don't know much about transmissions though.

Good Luck,

Dustin

·
Banned
637 Posts
Welllll. there are only a couple of things that I've seen that cause that symptom/effect;
1) yer forward Clutch Pack's diaphragm Spring has shattered,
2) the rear band has failed dramatically
3) the rear servo has come out of it's bore
Last 2 reasons are from serious mileage wear.. and the rear servo piston going adrift requires that the rear band is catastrophically out of adjustment.
Note that occaisionally Kickdown cable adjustments (overpressure) can be a cause of no reverse.. but that's a Long shot, perhaps even wishful thinking... but still ..worth a pressure test.

In short: Reason #1 is the usual suspect.
Diaphragm spring destruction is a fairly common failure.. sadly.. and it's miss-diagnosed frequently.
Real problem is: it's right inna Middle of the Box.. a complete teardown is needed just to get at it.
Sorry Mate.. but this is Gonna be Pricey.

·
Banned
637 Posts
Oooooops.. Forgot: DO NOT drive it anymore.. you WILL dramatically increase the collateral damage and Cost of repair.
Being as the forward clutch is no longer active.. power is being diverted thru a strange route.. wearing the hell out of the parts involved... don't ask .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts