SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i got a new one. new problem that is, car wont even crank after being on the highway for a long time. it did this to be saturday on my was to cape cod so i came back and put a new starter in and it was fine. well today on the way home it did it again. i had to pop the clutch and now it still will not start. any ideas? its an 88 900 turbo, if it helps. i have checked and i do not have any voltage at pin 50 on the starter. bad ignition switch?

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
starter

It'll most likley be the ignition switch, relay or wiring in between, i had a similar problem. I think that as the car gets hot/electrics get hot they therefore have greater resistance so if you've got any problems in the system it will become more evident.

Have you tried running a wire from the + to the starter solenoid with a switch on it? Prob best to put a fuse in to and i don't think the cars electrics like it alot but it's an easy way to get the car started if your stuck.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i just tried starting it after it was sitting and it did fire, but there was about a 2 second delay from when the key turned to when the car started to crank. after that is seems fine. i will try that next time and keep it with me just incase. but how bad is it to replace the ignition switch, I have one sitting there because i was going to replace it about a year ago due to the reverse lock out being broken.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
removing ignition switch

I'd try spraying some WD or degreasant into the swtich first just incase it's fluff/grease on the contacts. It's worth while pulling the relay out aswell and checking the pins make sure ones not burnt, make sure all the connectors are tight when you plug it back into the fuse box.

As for removing it, you need 1/2 a day or so as you've really got to take the drivers seat out and lift some up the carpet, i'm not sure about removing the switch from the housing as when i did it i swapped the whole housing over, but it's a lot easier to remove the housing if you make a tool like this.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I made a pin wrench myself a few years ago, and have loaned it out (at no charge, of course) to a few members of this site all over the country.

Anybody who needs it is welcome to borrow it; all I ask is prompt return (postage is under $1) :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts