SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a quick search, didn't find anything useful. My SPG has a purple sticker that says "California Emmsisions" on the wheel well. Car (AFAIK) has never been in California (one owner car with decent (scary, kinda) service records). Can I remove some of what that aparently entails and get some gain out of it?
We don't do emmsion testing in my state, and even if we did it's too old for it.

A friend with an '86 Land Cruiser is going to remove a bunch of that sort of crap and get a decent gain out of it (minor mpg loss, but seeing as he's doubling the EPA estimate as-is...). Thats what gave me this idea, well that and my dad punched out the catalyic converter on my 1st car and holy cow did that improve the "get-go".

Was there a "Fedral Emssions" option for the 900's imported to the states, or did they just simply make all of 'em comply with California's stupidity?

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
There were Federal standards - and then the California standards (tighter than the other 49 states) - not sure what the difference was in the late 80's or what (if any) additional equipment was required -

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you do take off the emissions equipment make sure you keep it. I did it to my 84 Bronco (full size) and then ended up living in California (Navy). Fortunately I had my old parts and just had to buy a new Y pipe (we chopped the old one to fit headers on).

And if you ever sell it, cali emissions are a selling point if someone lives there.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
For their limited production models, SAAB found it more convenient to make just 1 version.
Unless you know exactly what you're doing, there are no gains to be had by removing "that sort of crap". Pulling off parts whose function you don't understand, and can't compensate for, will only cause trouble.
My best recollection is that the only thing the California model had that was different was EGR. There is nothing to be gained by removing that system without re-calibrating the fuel delivery and APC systems.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured it was one of those "don't feel like making multiple versions" deals as this SPG had never been to California, so it should have Federal..but it doesn't.
So the emmision control stuff doesn't impede performance any? Cool, I guess. Less work for me :D

Probably should make another thread about this...but is 10k to 20k mile interchages between oil changes reasonable with these (probably 90-100% highway miles)? Manual says 7500 miles is reccomended but more then 6k miles makes me uncomefortable...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts